Menu

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" and "Ghostbusters"

marbel

I've seen this movie mentioned today.   I'm not a fan of either Steve Martin or John Candy, but I think my kids might like it.  But, it's rated R.  When I look at imdb.com parental advisory (maybe not the best thing but all I've got) and it looks pretty mild.  If the rating is just for the F-bomb, I don't care.   Anyone have any comments on this movie?  The 17 year old is almost an adult, of course, but still gets embarrassed at some scenes in movies if we are all watching as a family. 

They've asked me about Ghostbusters too but some of the scene descriptions (also from imdb) have me very dubious. 

Comments?

PS I don't mean I don't care about the F-bomb.  I don't like it. But if that's the main reason for a rating, and a movie is otherwise fine, I get over it.

Ghostbusters has some really sketchy scenes with regard to sexual overtones.  We can explain away some language, but Sigourney slinking around with her clothes falling off?  Not so much.

I really dislike Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and have totally put it out of my mind except to remember that I never want to watch it again due to the extreme stupidity of the premise.  So I'm no help there.  Although if you want to know what it's like to actually drive between Chicago and St. Louis, I've done that plenty of times.

We love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Yes, the premise is far fetched, but the two characters both love their wives very much.   The last few minutes are what makes the movie special to us. 

The car rental scene is the one that has a string of F-bombs. We made our kids leave the room for that until they were 13. As each kid turned 13, it became a big deal to them that they could watch the scene. 

We related to it because over the years we've had some road trips from Hell...including last year when we had to stay in a Red Cross shelter with hundreds of other travelers stranded due to weather...and Illinois Department of Transportation's inability to broadcast driving conditions! 

We love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles too.  My kids never had problems with any of it.  We travel a ton and enjoy comedy, so that might make a difference.

We still use it in reference at times when things aren't quite going as they should.  ;)

Ghostbusters bored me.  My boys liked it.

Ghostbusters has one scene of weirdness and some off colour language, but that is it. I wish, wish, wish they had NOT put that 'sexy ghost dream' sequence in the movie or I would have let my kids watch it long ago. Other than that it isn't too bad. I actually kind of love that movie.  I did let the boys watch it this summer and they adored it. My 14 year old blushed at the scene in question and the 9 year old didn't understand it at all.

We watched Ghostbusters yesterday, as it happens. It wasn't too bad (that oral sex scene went right over the kids' heads) but I was very disappointed, just because it wasn't particularly good or funny, and the plot was very weak and rather boring. Movies remembered from childhood always seem to be disappointing when viewed with adult critical eyes.

Haven't seen the other one. I generally just check on the commonsense media site (I don't take much notice of the age recommendations, but I read the specifics of things that other parents found objectionable or concerning).

Planes, Trains and Autoobiles is a perfectly fine movie, it could have easily been rated Pg, except for one scene right in the middle.  Steve Martin goes to a car rental counter and rants at the lady, easily dropping the F-bomb every fifth word.  I have no idea why that particular scene was put in there.  He could have done his rant without all those words.  It's really rather pointless.  If it doesn't bother you then it won't be an issue, but it just seems stupid to me to have that one, random bit in there.

Here's a fun review.  There's cussin' in the review, fair warning. 

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/45826-wynka-planes-trains-a-automobiles

We did watch Planes,Trains...   It was fun.  Yeah, could have done without the F-bomb scene, but otherwise, fun movie!

We won't watch Ghostbusters, together anyway.  The implied sex scene would not go over my kids' heads - they are old enough to get it, but it would embarrass them to watch with mom and dad.   I still remember a few trips to the movies with my dad when there were scenes in otherwise fine movies that made me want to melt into my seat.    So, we'll skip that one for family watching and they can do that on their own sometime. 

I realized that a few years ago. You ow the dirty dancing movie. The two main characters actually have a physically relationship. I had no clue. When I was rewarding it two years ago I had the goal of paying close attention to details to see if they hinted that they were more then just friends.

Well no close attention was needed. :p

Noooo! It's about *dancing*, goshdarnit! :lol:

Like I said, it's best to keep fond memories of old movies instead of rewatching them and realizing how not-so-good they are...

I realized that a few years ago. You ow the dirty dancing movie. The two main characters actually have a physically relationship. I had no clue. When I was rewarding it two years ago I had the goal of paying close attention to details to see if they hinted that they were more then just friends.

Well no close attention was needed. :p

Wow!! Did they cut out half the movie? The dancing scenes were much dirtier than the sex scenes, in my recollection.

Thank you, OP, for bringing these movies up. I had thought about Ghostbusters for the kids, but I've only seen it once myself, and I think I'll pass on weird sex scenes.