Menu

Comfort foods

creekland

As I sit here munching on potato sticks and having had a glass of Mt Dew my mind has definitely come to the realization that while these things likely have a nutritional value of -10, their psychological value shouldn't be underestimated.

Besides, the Mt Dew was slightly out of date without having boys at home.  It needed to be used up anyway.  Two psychological wins since I'm someone who hates waste.

I'll confess to keeping potato sticks in stock for their high sodium value (a craving my body gets).

Sigh.  I guess I'll just finish this salad instead.  :(

I've moved on to eating an apple as I type - and bean soup for my actual lunch.

I can't quite mentally equate comfort foods serving a purpose they are good at and using them as meal replacements.

They did serve their purpose though.  I'm mentally far more ready to handle the rest of the day.  :coolgleamA:

I've moved on to eating an apple as I type - and bean soup for my actual lunch.

I can't quite mentally equate comfort foods serving a purpose they are good at and using them as meal replacements.

They did serve their purpose though.  I'm mentally far more ready to handle the rest of the day.  :coolgleamA:

You are so much more mature than I am.  With your kids off at college now, no one's watching you.

Why am I eating the salad instead of the chips?  Because I don't want DS to catch me!  My self-indulgence has to wait until he's off to a museum with Dad or spending the day at Grandma's. 

I don't do it often, but the occasional "popcorn for dinner" treat is fine by me!

Anyway, I'm glad your snacks filled the bill and perked you up.  :)

I don't do it often, but the occasional "popcorn for dinner" treat is fine by me!

Oh same here - definitely the same here - but that's more of a lazy deal than a comfort food deal. 

And, er, it's rather easy to be lazy with the kids gone.  Way, way too easy.   :closedeyes:

I'm a sweet not a salty snacker. My comfort food is (hate to admit this) homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Now see, that would have absolutely no appeal to me.  Chocolate I can eat - esp dark chocolate, but cookies?  I tend to only eat those to be polite when necessary.  Every third blue moon I'll get a hankering for one, eat it, and wonder why in the world I wanted it.

I wonder what makes our (generic) tastes differ?

The spinach here has been so flavorful that I keep making spinach, tomato, and pasta for lunch.....but my usual comfort food is .....cabbage rolls!

You are officially banned from this thread I think.   :lol:  Chocolate chip cookies beat cabbage rolls any day for me.  Cooked cabbage (aside from sauerkraut) is just plain - yuck (!) much less a comfort food.  Who brought you up?

Hmm, I do love spinach, so maybe I can give you a pass.  It is Thanksgiving and going into the Christmas season, so... ok, you can stay and play.

Now see, that would have absolutely no appeal to me. Chocolate I can eat - esp dark chocolate, but cookies? I tend to only eat those to be polite when necessary. Every third blue moon I'll get a hankering for one, eat it, and wonder why in the world I wanted it.

I wonder what makes our (generic) tastes differ?

You are officially banned from this thread I think. :lol: Chocolate chip cookies beat cabbage rolls any day for me. Cooked cabbage (aside from sauerkraut) is just plain - yuck (!) much less a comfort food. Who brought you up?

Hmm, I do love spinach, so maybe I can give you a pass. It is Thanksgiving and going into the Christmas season, so... ok, you can stay and play.

You are off your rocker, lady!! ;)

Cooked cabbage is awesome.

Boiled. Roasted. Rolled. Fried.

And real sauerkraut (yum!!) is fermented, not cooked. :)

I'm also a fan of chocolate chip cookies, potato chips, dark chocolate, spinach, ...food in general. :)

Comfort foods are different to me than preferred snacky snacks. Comfort foods are those warm belly, nourish the soul meals.

My main comfort food is probably takeout from this Ethiopian place I have been going to for 20 years.

Things I make myself that are comfort foods are potato pancakes, hash with greens, pasta dishes, mashed potatoes, soups with decadent bread slathered with soft butter. Anything with gravy.

My snack preference tends to be things like cookies, brownies and nachos.

Coffee with french vanilla coffee mate ... nothing better than the nearly alcoholic feel of very warm coffee sliding into one's belly in the morning.  Especially on "cold" mornings, when I wake up and the AC has made things slightly cooler than usual.  Makes me giggly.

Other comfort foods would be buffalo wings.  Mmm, reminds me of my dad and a million other happy things.

Snacky snacks would be parm cheese + cherry tomatos or extra dark salted chocolates.       

Asian style popcorn (no salt, no oil, a little bit sugar), pop rice, sweet potato.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to "like" a post that puts sugar AND no salt on popcorn?  Perfectly good food totally ruined.   :lol:   But, you're saved and allowed in the club due to adding sweet potatoes to your list.  Those are tasty - as long as they aren't fried. ;)

You are off your rocker, lady!! ;)

And real sauerkraut (yum!!) is fermented, not cooked. :)

That may be why I like sauerkraut, but not cooked cabbage.  I never had it until moving here to PA and trying it with the PA Dutch pork & sauerkraut traditional dish.  I love it - more than just that meal too.

Rockers?  I've never admitted to being old enough to use one, so OF COURSE I'm off of it!  :coolgleamA:

Comfort foods are different to me than preferred snacky snacks. Comfort foods are those warm belly, nourish the soul meals.

My main comfort food is probably takeout from this Ethiopian place I have been going to for 20 years.

Things I make myself that are comfort foods are potato pancakes, hash with greens, pasta dishes, mashed potatoes, soups with decadent bread slathered with soft butter. Anything with gravy.

My snack preference tends to be things like cookies, brownies and nachos.

Comfort foods to me are anything I turn to when I'm feeling kinda blah or bummed.  They could be a meal, but since I have that "lazy" factor and am not all that fond of cooking, they are often snacks.  I do those traditional meals when I feel like eating them - maybe there's some sort of comfort factor in that decision.  They sure taste good to eat.

Nonetheless, I'd love to try out your Ethiopian place (not sure I've ever been to one) and, in general, I think we'd get along just fine eating together.  You can have all the cookies and brownies.

Coffee with french vanilla coffee mate ... nothing better than the nearly alcoholic feel of very warm coffee sliding into one's belly in the morning.  Especially on "cold" mornings, when I wake up and the AC has made things slightly cooler than usual.  Makes me giggly.

Other comfort foods would be buffalo wings.  Mmm, reminds me of my dad and a million other happy things.

Snacky snacks would be parm cheese + cherry tomatos or extra dark salted chocolates.       

I've never tasted a coffee I've liked.  With as popular as coffee is, that might just be a birth defect I suppose.

Salt and chocolate don't belong in the same sentence together.  ;)

Buffalo wings work though. As do general salty snacks. You can stay on the thread too.  :coolgleamA:

Milk with ice cubes in it.

Toast with jam or honey.

Milk with ice cubes?  Ok, I've learned my new thing for today.  I'd never heard of such a thing.

Every time I see this thread, I think of scalloped potatoes. I never even make scalloped potatoes, but fat and carbs. Mmm.  :drool5:

You can stay!!!  I love scalloped potatoes - and rarely make them.  The thought is definitely welcome.

Asian style popcorn (no salt, no oil, a little bit sugar), pop rice, sweet potato.

Roasted Asian sweet potatoes are definitely one for me. I have a very fond memory of all my cousins and the parents chowing down on sweet potatoes with kimchi. Delicious! Sweet and savory. FYI, Asian sweet potatoes are a lot sweeter than the ones in American markets.