Menu

graphic novel suggestions

JustEm

Does he want something heavy? The Maus books are pretty good. I know it sounds weird, but they are about mice who are...well, the first one is about the Holocaust.

I know, right? lol

Ds had to read the first one in college as summer reading, and I thought "no way", but it was really rather good and thought-provoking.

Does he have  Watchmen?  That's a modern classic.

I like Planetary - it's a twist on the usual superhero storyline. 

I've been reading a lot of YA graphic novels lately, so I can't think of any other adult ones offhand!

ETA:   The Arrival is an amazing wordless graphic novel. 

Maus, as suggested above, is also excellent.

Fables is probably my all time favorite. Bill Willingham is excellent.

Seconding Watchmen if for some crazy reason he's never read that...

My dh really loved Scott Pilgrim, but that's a different vibe.

While it's technically YA, everything by Gene Luen Yang is a-freaking-mazing. Boxers and Saints is a masterpiece, though The Eternal Smile is maybe a better gift choice - it's short stories in graphic novel form.

Thanks so far! I'll look into all of them. As far as I know he's only read the ones mentioned above. I'm sure he read other ones before we were married but he's never mentioned them.

Maus is actually one of the only graphic novels I've read and that I myself own. I love it! The dark tower series I've also read but that's because I like the book series and not because I have much interest I. Graphic novels.

Watchman, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - all Alan Moore, all great.

I loved Maus, Persepolis, and Joe Sacco's books based on his experiences in Bosnia and the Middle East.

Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware is so sad. DH didn't like it. I think it skews sentimental, non-action, so maybe not your son's cup of tea. It's a good entry point for you though :)

Alan Moore and Frank Miller are really well known. I love Gene Luen Yang. 

Y: the Last Man is pretty good (Brian Vaughn).

Yeah...if he has read a lot of books he likely would have read those already. I think most of the ones I mentioned are popular ones he may have read.

I will add Lock and Key by Joe Hill, Fun Home...there is a graphic novel about Andre the Giant that only came out this year. I have Boxers and Saints.

My dh got my son the hardbound Marvel collections.  He has about 30 of them now and they have given him a lot of pleasure over the years.  

And a lot of backstory for all the movies and Agents of Shield.