Menu

The Boys in the Boat--an excellent book

Hikin' Mama

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Daniel-James-Brown-ebook/dp/B00AEBETU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415281635&sr=1-1&keywords=Boys+in+the+boat

I just finished reading this and it is excellent! The author weaves three stories together: the biography of Joe Rantz, one of the "boys in the boat;" the rise of Nazi Germany; and the creation of the winning USA 1936 Olympic rowing team. We already know that they won, but how they did it is awesome! The odds they overcame are inspiring. I loved the insight into the sport of rowing that this book gives. It's a fascinating sport, although I'm a little biased as one of my sons rowed in college. The author seems to have done an excellent job on the research for this. I loved it and am now dissapointed that I don't have anything as exciting lined up to read next.

My mother just read this book and raved about it. She said it was a book she would never have read had she not heard such good things about it. But she was just wild about it.

When she was here on a visit, she kept reading passages aloud to me and telling me tidbits from it.

:)