Menu

Cupcake baking question

Night Elf

I'm still trying to find a way to bake my favorite cupcakes. They never turn out right. One of the problems is that the cake sticks to the wrapper when we try to peel it off. It's an apple cupcake. Would the apples give the cake a sticky consistency that would make it stick to the wrapper?

Have you tried the foil cupcake wrappers? They cost more but they rarely stick even when I make a fruit filled muffin.  I also buy commercial cupcake liners in a tube of 500- they are thicker and release better than the cheap ones I can buy at Walmart.  But if I'm making something super sticky I use the foil ones and have been known to occasionally spray them with nonstick spray.  Only occasionally, though, and I honestly can't say that they release better wight he spray. 

Ps. You can't talk about 'favorite cupcakes' without sharing the recipe. Because even though it's only 8 AM here, now I want apple cupcakes. 

Have you tried the foil cupcake wrappers? They cost more but they rarely stick even when I make a fruit filled muffin.  I also buy commercial cupcake liners in a tube of 500- they are thicker and release better than the cheap ones I can buy at Walmart.  But if I'm making something super sticky I use the foil ones and have been known to occasionally spray them with nonstick spray.  Only occasionally, though, and I honestly can't say that they release better wight he spray. 

Ps. You can't talk about 'favorite cupcakes' without sharing the recipe. Because even though it's only 8 AM here, now I want apple cupcakes. 

I got it from Cupcake Wars. We love the taste and since we can't get the cupcakes to work, I just generally bake it like a cake. But I want to make them for a Thanksgiving family event and I'd rather have cupcakes than having to scoop out of a cake pan.

I've never tried foil liners and I've never thought to spray liners. I guess I can make the without liners then take them out and put them in one. I'll buy the foil and try it all 3 ways. The one good thing about trying to perfect this recipe before Thanksgiving is that I get to make lots of cupcakes. :)

I rarely use liners because I hear they work best if you oil them, which seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather just oil the pan and be done with it. My cupcakes have never been around long enough to get stale, lol. But I thought the whole point of liners was that I could just pop them in the muffin tin and not have to use oil?

And if you do spray the liners with oil, is it a pain to make sure the oil is in all those little folds? I always use a silicone brush with the oil to make sure the cooking spray is well distributed. I can't imagine doing that with paper.

And one time I did buy super cute paper liners for one of the boys' birthday. When the cupcakes came out of the oven the oil and baking had made it impossible to see the cute liners. The liners were just the colour of greased paper, no cute 'happy birthday' could be seen.

As you can see, I have trust issues with paper liners.

And if you do spray the liners with oil, is it a pain to make sure the oil is in all those little folds? I always use a silicone brush with the oil to make sure the cooking spray is well distributed. I can't imagine doing that with paper.

As you can see, I have trust issues with paper liners.

I just give then a quick spray. Takes two seconds. Never thought to make sure all the folds were covered. I'd never bake again if I needed to do that. ;-)