Menu

PE curriculum?

I know this has been discussed, but I can't seem to search for this because PE is only 2 letters.  LOL!  Sorry.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a PE curriculum other than Family Time Fitness?  Or if you have experience with Family Time, do you have a minute to review it?

I feel the one area we are really falling down is this.  My kids, age 9 down to 2, barely know what a jumping jack is.  LOL!  They play outside and run around a ton.  They get exercise.  But they are lacking the basic PE type skills.  I feel it is important because things like this do come up every once in a while.  (Think Simon Says, "Do jumping Jacks.") I know I could try to come up with something on my own, but I'm not even positive what to teach.  So, I'd like a guide of some sort to follow.  But, I would prefer something in print, not computer based like Family Time.  I would also prefer something a little more relaxed. 

Any suggestions??  Thanks!

Guest lisapinn

Did you try looking at your state Dept of Education's website? If you are just looking for a list, it seems to me that since PE credits are required they probably have guidelines or scope at the least. Just an idea.

Your dc are still really young, but it's wonderful that you have Physical Education on your radar. I have a background in PE (Bachelor's and Master's degree), and I've tried hard to involve my dc in a wide range of physical activities over the years. We have done a lot of unstructured activities with just our family, like hiking, cycling, skiing, skating and swimming. I've also enrolled them in a wide range of more structured recreational sports programs like soccer, gymnastics, martial arts, swimming lessons, tennis, basketball, hockey, and track and field.

Part of the challenge in creating an at-home PE program, is that you often need a certain amount of people, space and equipment to do different activities. It's also a lot more fun to be active with other people. Even with my strong PE background, this is one area that I "outsourced" the when the dc were fairly young. 

I started working on this some with my dc very casually, and doing things I remembered like jumping rope, jumping jacks, crab walk, things like that and the "correct" way to do them. Working on bike riding during PE also gave us a structured time to work on it. Kicking a ball, etc. They are also doing structured activities like karate and ballet.

My kids do CrossFit Kids at our gym every week. If you do not have a Cross Fit program near you, you can easily read up on it and learn about it. Cross Fit is defined as "functional movement across modal domains at high intensity." What this means is that there is some body weight movement, some weight-bearing movement, and some gymnastics. All of it is combined to be a whole-body workout and strengthen the individual for everyday life. 

Our kids love CFK and are thriving. It is so much fun. They haven't been at class for a while, so yesterday I wrote a workout for them that lasted 20 minutes. It consisted of jumprope, squats, burpees, kettle bell swings and a short sprint. I had been having focus and attitude issues all day with them, and finally I realized that they hadn't done a workout in four days and it was beautiful outside. At the end of it, they both had worked hard and were transformed in both their moods and attitudes. 

Even the littles can do CF in some form...I highly recommend checking it out. Most CrossFit boxes keep the kids' programs very affordable and you can usually try the first classes for free.

I think I have that Family Time Fitness somewhere... If I can find it, I'll sell it to you.  I remember it being quite inspiring and practical.  We just ended up going other directions (needing OT, etc.).  I think, in general, if you're feeling busy your options are just put it on the schedule for the day at a consistent slot so SOMETHING gets done, or sign up for an activity that gets you there and doing it.  This year we're doing a lot at the Y (mainly for my ds: swimming, gymnastics, etc.).  I'm LOVING how much the Y offers, so maybe it would spark something for you?  

Some families will do once a week at something like drop-in kickball, roller skating, ice skating...  

I looked for something like that and never found it. We started the year doing zumba on the xbox together, one day of a circuit routine I found online and another day was walking. Then my girls started swim and dance and so we don't do exercises at home anymore since they get enough. My kids were in public school until last year though and last year they both gained weight. I think it was because they aren't playing at recess and I didn't enforce no media time until this year. They would sit and watch tv at lunch and after school. I needed them both to do some exercise so a formal program works better for us. I read an idea of putting a bunch of exercises on a ring and letting the kids pick three a day. I thought of doing that. 

Thanks everyone!

Our state doesn't have a PE requirement.  I just feel my kids need it.  They aren't naturally picking up these gross motor skills, like jumping jacks.  They play outside all the time, but they would prefer to dig up worms than play soccer.  ;)  So, I'm just seeing an area where they could use some work and thinking a PE program might help, especially since I'm a "teacher" who likes guidance. :)

Also, requiring other kids is great for us because I have 6.  Not a "class" really, but definitely a small class. 

We had a sport of the month. I was usually able to find a library book that included some type of drill that could be practiced independently. We also went over the rules of the game and a little history. And we tried to watch a video or attend an event.

The boys went for a walk each morning after family worship time and before math.

And they did some general exercises a few times a week.

We use this book. http://www.amazon.com/Home-School-Family-Fitness-Curriculum/dp/1578262747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414717621&sr=8-1&keywords=homeschool+pe+curriculum

If you look at the reviews, the low rating states that the main complaint is disorganization. I have to agree. However, it does give you a framework and keeps the family together without costing an arm and a leg in supplies. It lays out weekly plans near the front and then you have to flip to the page. Iirc, there was a typo on one that I needed to find myself. The activities extend across multiple pages so cutting the spine and reorganizing is not an option. All in all, it does the job though and gives me benchmarks for what should be achieved, as well as making sure my kids are exposed to things that might not be part of our daily life. Anyway, it is not perfect, but it is the best option I'm aware of for an all in one pre-k-12 guide.

We use this book. http://www.amazon.com/Home-School-Family-Fitness-Curriculum/dp/1578262747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414717621&sr=8-1&keywords=homeschool+pe+curriculum

If you look at the reviews, the low rating states that the main complaint is disorganization. I have to agree. However, it does give you a framework and keeps the family together without costing an arm and a leg in supplies. It lays out weekly plans near the front and then you have to flip to the page. Iirc, there was a typo on one that I needed to find myself. The activities extend across multiple pages so cutting the spine and reorganizing is not an option. All in all, it does the job though and gives me benchmarks for what should be achieved, as well as making sure my kids are exposed to things that might not be part of our daily life. Anyway, it is not perfect, but it is the best option I'm aware of for an all in one pre-k-12 guide.

Would it work for a family with just one child as well, or do the activities require more than one child? Thanks!

Would it work for a family with just one child as well, or do the activities require more than one child? Thanks!

Most of it would work with one child or parent and child. There is a section that lists games for aerobic activities, and many of those require a handful of kids. The childhood dances also require several children...square dancing, the farmer in the dell, etc.

We had a sport of the month. I was usually able to find a library book that included some type of drill that could be practiced independently. We also went over the rules of the game and a little history. And we tried to watch a video or attend an event.

The boys went for a walk each morning after family worship time and before math.

And they did some general exercises a few times a week.

That is the book we used with my above plan. I couldn't remember the title. I did use much of it successfully with one child. It wasn't awesome or critical, but it was helpful.