Menu

?Transcript norm for 3yr of HS?

DS is in his 11th grade year and asking to graduate at the end of this year, and we are considering allowing him to do so.  He has more credits than designated for honors at our local high school. His credits are also quality credits with verification of 'mommy grades'.  DS works VERY hard to be an A student but has LDs and is tired of school at this point.  We aren't sure if DS will go straight to a 4-year university (we realize that application deadlines have passed) on a part-time basis, go to the CC for 2 years, or take a gap year to work, travel abroad, or serve the community.

For those of you who have graduated your DC in 3 years and sent them to college, how did you set up your transcript?  Did the transcript reflect only 3 years or did you spread the course over 4 years on the transcript? 

I didn't think about the Common App. Darn.  Elder DS applied early action and got offered many academic and music scholarships, so our goal for the remainder of our children is to apply by the early action deadline. We could not pull it all together by then.  Although he has had teachers who have offered to write recommendation letters, they are under the assumption that they'll be doing that next year. It would be inconsiderate of DS to ask the teachers to write and submit ASAP.  We could consider schools with rolling admissions, but we are not that far yet.  I'm just trying to figure out the transcript situation right now. 

Could you consider this his senior year and count 8th grade as his freshman year?

If it seems that he will have to attend cc because of timing, would taking several classes while still being a high schooler be an option? That might give him the feeling of taking the next step while keeping him on the timeline you'd previously planned.

Could you consider this his senior year and count 8th grade as his freshman year?

If it seems that he will have to attend cc because of timing, would taking several classes while still being a high schooler be an option? That might give him the feeling of taking the next step while keeping him on the timeline you'd previously planned.

I'm thinking about this option, Sebastian & Ellie. 

Another difficulty has crept up:He has 3 sciences (PreAP Biology + lab, PreAP Physics + lab, and Marine Biology), but does not have chemistry. I'm wondering if it will make a big difference to colleges not having chemistry on his transcript. Our original plan was for him to take an easy science (marine bio) this year and do chemistry in 12th grade. But now that he wants to graduate this year.... Why? Why? Why is he throwing a monkey wrench in the works?  I don't do well with curve balls. 

What are HIS plans for next year? I assume since he is pushing for graduating early that he has something in mind. If he doesn't, I would probably just tell him no. If he can't come up with something, he probably shouldn't be graduating early. If he wants to apply to a 4 year, let him (but explain loss of scholarship opportunities that big bro had). If he wants to go to CC, that is a great option. But, it might be an option that he can do while still a high schooler...

I'm thinking about this option, Sebastian & Ellie. 

Another difficulty has crept up:He has 3 sciences (PreAP Biology + lab, PreAP Physics + lab, and Marine Biology), but does not have chemistry. I'm wondering if it will make a big difference to colleges not having chemistry on his transcript. Our original plan was for him to take an easy science (marine bio) this year and do chemistry in 12th grade. But now that he wants to graduate this year.... Why? Why? Why is he throwing a monkey wrench in the works?  I don't do well with curve balls. 

He has three lab sciences. Wouldn't that be enough?

I think this will depend on where he is applying and for what field. Some colleges and universities want to see chemistry specifically for an engineering major, for example, but for other majors, they simply list a required minimum number of science credits.

We are trying to figure out the same thing as you are. Dd has maxed out at the local CC in math, and she is thinking it is time to move on to college. She has enough credits and courses in all areas. I don't want to count 8th grade as 9th, because if she doesn't get an offer she likes, she will wait another year and beef up her transcript and her ECs, and because it wasn't high school level work across the board technically. Several schools we have looked at have no problem taking students a year early and have specific guidance for them (Carnegie Mellon, for example.) But others don't. She is taking the SAT and ACT soon, and some of it will be based on that.

Oh, and I don't think there is a problem with asking for letters ASAP when there is a special situation (you didn't just procrastinate,) as long as it is done apologetically. It would offset some of their workload during the typical letter-writing times.

He has three lab sciences. Wouldn't that be enough?

As ever you have to balance what is enough to meet standard hs graduation requirements and what is enough to be competitive at a particular school, in a particular degree program or for a particular scholarship.

What is enough for a student taking history at a big state school with no need for aid might not be the same as what is enough for an engineering or science student who needs financial aid.

He has 3 sciences (PreAP Biology + lab, PreAP Physics + lab, and Marine Biology), but does not have chemistry. I'm wondering if it will make a big difference to colleges not having chemistry on his transcript.

Since there is no specific 4-year degree program as future goal (esp. any field requiring Chemistry), then no, I don't see any need for chemistry on the transcript, as long as the other 3 sciences have labs. :)

DS works VERY hard to be an A student but has LDs and is tired of school at this point. We aren't sure if DS will go straight to a 4-year university (we realize that application deadlines have passed) on a part-time basis, go to the CC for 2 years, or take a gap year to work travel abroad, or serve the community.

I was going to suggest for your DS what a number of local homeschool families have done: in practice, they have "graduated" the student from their homeschool at the end of 11th grade, but technically / officially, the student is still on the books as homeschooled, and does all dual enrollment at the community college for 12th grade.

However since you mention that DS has LDs and is burned out with academics, that doesn't sound like the best option for this student.

My big concern about this plan is that if, after a year off, what DS's status would be for applying at a 4-year university, if that ends up being the plan. If there is ANY chance that may happen, he can NOT take ANY college classes during his gap year, or he will not be considered a freshman, but rather a returning adult student, and he will miss out on all of the possible scholarships (most are awarded to freshman).

My other big concern is that there be a very specific plan in place of what exactly DS will DO and what the goal(s) are if not going straight on for further education at a CC or University. DS and parents need to have a series of talks about what all early graduation means:

- changes in expectations of responsibilities and contributions if still living at home

- possible health insurance changes for an adult child (age 18+) who is a dependent but is not a student

- goals are for the gap year (both yours and DS's), and how specifically they will be accomplished

- what are DS's possible career interests? or does active, on-going career exploration need to be part of the plan for the next year?

BEST of luck as you plan for a 3-year grad! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I think if you DO graduate him this year, counting 8th grade as his freshman year and transcripting whatever you honestly could from then would be the best option. 

If he's burned out on academics, is there any reason to keep him in HS another year? Are there any benefits that he could access from being in HS? Does he have anything left he wants to learn in HS? Could he get free DE credits to do a vocational course at the CC if he wants to work for a while?

If the answer to all of those is 'no', I really can't see a reason not to graduate him. 

kiana made me realize this is essentially what ds is doing this year, and it is working extremely well! He is dual enrolled at our tech school in welding this year. He goes in from 8-11 and learns to weld. He is also finishing up the classes he needs for high school: American History and English 4. I am also having him review math just for the heck of it. Don't want him to get rusty! It has made him become very interested in some kind of engineering degree (it starts with an M, but I have no idea what it is!). He is considering finishing off the welding certification before going to college. Not a bad thing to have to fall back on, and it is relevant to the degree he is considering.

kiana made me realize this is essentially what ds is doing this year, and it is working extremely well! He is dual enrolled at our tech school in welding this year. He goes in from 8-11 and learns to weld. He is also finishing up the classes he needs for high school: American History and English 4. I am also having him review math just for the heck of it. Don't want him to get rusty! It has made him become very interested in some kind of engineering degree (it starts with an M, but I have no idea what it is!). He is considering finishing off the welding certification before going to college. Not a bad thing to have to fall back on, and it is relevant to the degree he is considering.

You know, it's kinda funny, but welding was exactly what I was thinking of.

One of my friends did a welding certificate and worked for a while as a welder before going to college for something completely unrelated. 

Would he be interested in earning a technical certificate from a CC next year? If he's burned out on academics, it might be a nice change of pace to learn something hands-on.

DS probably would get a kick out of any trade that has to do with cars.  However, he plays classical guitar, so he has to keep the nails on his right hand longer than a guy would normally keep his nails. BC of this, he has to be very careful about hands-on things. 

DS definitely has a talent for science and math. He's thinking he wants to go into aerospace engineering, biochemical engineering, automotive design/engineering or some science field. He's really unsure but dreads the math he'll have to take in college to study engineering and dreads the effort he'll have to extend to be successful at college. I mean this kid is physically, emotionally, and psychologically drained after a day of school....and he works 7 days a week (and sometimes through the summer).  No, I don't give him too much. This is the first year that he's had (what would be considered) a 'normal' number of credits for his age/grade.  Before now, he's only been able to handle about 4 courses during the year and 2 in the summer.  (Hmm, I guess there has been some growth in his academic abilities. Maybe there is hope by the time he graduates.)

After much thinking and discussing, we've decided to have DS complete another year of high school. He'll take most courses at the CC.  After graduation, we are thinking about having him take a gap year to "be intentional about his academic choices" (a friend gave me this wording).  During this year, he'll either work full time, serve the community, travel abroad, or go to the CC to sample courses to find out what 'feels right' for him. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. They spark great conversation and inner thought for DS, husband, and me.

DS definitely has a talent for science and math. He's thinking he wants to go into aerospace engineering, biochemical engineering, automotive design/engineering or some science field. He's really unsure but dreads the math he'll have to take in college to study engineering

So he's good at math but doesn't like it?  (Why would he then be interested in engineering?)  Or maybe he assumes he doesn't like math due to the style of the math program(s) he has used?  Just thinking out loud...

and dreads the effort he'll have to extend to be successful at college. I mean this kid is physically, emotionally, and psychologically drained after a day of school....and he works 7 days a week (and sometimes through the summer).  No, I don't give him too much. This is the first year that he's had (what would be considered) a 'normal' number of credits for his age/grade.  Before now, he's only been able to handle about 4 courses during the year and 2 in the summer.  (Hmm, I guess there has been some growth in his academic abilities. Maybe there is hope by the time he graduates.)

Could he have a hidden learning issue requiring him to exert so much extra effort?  In other words, might something be holding him back from reaching his full potential?  (Sorry, I'm in issue-spotting mode... you know that old saying about holding a hammer and everything you see is a nail?)

It sounds like a good plan to keep going with high school.  Before he should choose the CC route, you both might research what various engineering schools might require in terms of whether they'd accept any CC credits for math.

So he's good at math but doesn't like it?  (Why would he then be interested in engineering?)  Or maybe he assumes he doesn't like math due to the style of the math program(s) he has used?  Just thinking out loud...

Could he have a hidden learning issue requiring him to exert so much extra effort?  In other words, might something be holding him back from reaching his full potential?  (Sorry, I'm in issue-spotting mode... you know that old saying about holding a hammer and everything you see is a nail?)

It sounds like a good plan to keep going with high school.  Before he should choose the CC route, you both might research what various engineering schools might require in terms of whether they'd accept any CC credits for math.He

I believe that he THINKS he does not like math because it takes him so long to complete because of his LDs (dysgraphia, slow processing, and ADD among others). He's always liked his math programs/teachers (always taken math online). I have to take that back; he hated geometry with DO. That was a year-long nightmare...that ended in an A. Go figure!  He's taking pre-calc currently and likes his teacher and has a 98.1 average. He just does not like math because of the effort. He knows he's good at it and he likes maintaining A's....meaning he doesn't dislike it enough to let his grades slip. 

As mentioned above, he has had an educational/neuropsych assessment and been diagnosed with several LDs. His IQ is in the superior range, so he definitely has not reached his full potential. 

Any courses he takes at CC will not be taken for transfer credits. That is never our focus when DC take CC courses. We do it for the increase in rigor and verification of 'mommy grades'.  If he has to take a math course over at the 4-year college, hopefully that will be one course he'll be able to skate throuhg while working hard in the others.  But before I make decisions based on what matters to me, I'll aks him and check into if he wants transfer credits instead of re-taking a class.