Menu

Algebra problem: Who is incorrect - us or the answer key?

This is the problem from Jacob's Geometry 2d ed, Chap 2 Lesson 2 Set III:

A bookworm eats its way from page 1 of volume 1 to the last page of volume 20 of an encyclopedia.  The books are arranged in order on a bookshelf in the normal way.  If the inside of each volume is 4 cm thick and each cover is 0.2 cm thick, through what distance did the bookworm chew?

Our answer:

Each book is 4.4 cm thick (4 cm insides + two 0.2 cm covers).  There are 20 volumes so 4.4 x 20 = 88 cm.  But the bookworm did not eat the front cover of volume 1 or the back cover of volume 20, so 88 - 0.4 = 87.6 cm.

The answer key says:

Covers: 38 x 0.2 cm = 7.6 cm

Insides: 18 x 4 cm = 72 cm

Total: 7.6 + 72 = 79.6 cm

The answer key also includes a drawing that shows that they did not include the pages of volume 1 or volume 20 in the calculation (thus only 18 insides).  

We think this is wrong as the question is written.  We think this would be correct if the question read "A bookworm eats its way from the last page of volume 1 to the first page of volume 20."

So, who is correct - us or the answer key?  If we are incorrect, can you please explain why?

This is the problem from Jacob's Geometry 2d ed, Chap 2 Lesson 2 Set III:

A bookworm eats its way from page 1 of volume 1 to the last page of volume 20 of an encyclopedia.  The books are arranged in order on a bookshelf in the normal way.  If the inside of each volume is 4 cm thick and each cover is 0.2 cm thick, through what distance did the bookworm chew?

It all comes down to the bolded.  Hold up a book like it would go on a bookshelf.  Where is page 1?  On the right...not the left.  The bookworm will not eat through the rest of the book.

Wendy

It all comes down to the bolded.  Hold up a book like it would go on a bookshelf.  Where is page 1?  On the right...not the left.  The bookworm will not eat through the rest of the book.

Wendy

Oh, now that's just sneaky. I bet an engineer wrote this problem, not a mathematician.

Wendy

See, this is why I shouldn't post anything when I first wake up!

Wendy

VERY good point.  I was envisioning opening the book and seeing the worm's destruction and going from there (esp with my rabbit trail thought).

This is one case where IRL, the actual math would have been correct.  It's only our thought process drawing the pic that was incorrect.

It all comes down to the bolded. Hold up a book like it would go on a bookshelf. Where is page 1? On the right...not the left. The bookworm will not eat through the rest of the book.

Wendy

Agreeing with Wendy. For the first volume, the worm will miss the back cover and all the pages except for the first of volume 1 and miss the front cover and all the pages except the last one of volume 20.

But I also think this is more of a logic/puzzle question than an algebra one, IMO. Tricky, unless you are accustomed to drawing representations of word problems. The Singapore Math bar method works beautifully with this kind of problem.

It is more of a logic puzzle in this case.  The Set III problems are bonus problems that extend the subject, introduce some sort of a twist or introduce some interesting application of the subject to real life.  They're mostly for fun and to make you really stop and think!

(edited to match up my cases!)

It all comes down to the bolded. Hold up a book like it would go on a bookshelf. Where is page 1? On the right...not the left. The bookworm will not eat through the rest of the book.

Wendy

Sneaky! :-) I would have pictured this wrong as well.

It is more of a logic puzzle in this case. The Set III problems are a bonus problem that extends the subject, introduces some sort of a twist or introduces some interesting application of it to real life. They're mostly for fun and to make you really stop and think!

Sounds fun, but thank goodness there is an answer key!

Btw, I need the answer key for the first grade level of the Stepping Stones logic series, lol.

This kind of problem is a perfect example of why I encourage my kids to doodle-work out their problems! :lol:

Oh, I'd have drawn the problem.  I just wouldn't have thought about which page was where when the books were on the shelves.  I didn't even think about it when the OP mentioned the answer key having drawn it out the way it was.

I probably should have thought about it... but, well, at least I can blame either the cold I have or the brain tumor.  The bt should be good for excuses for the rest of my life!  The rest of you who didn't think about it have to come up with your own excuses.   :lol:

I am glad this thread is here so if I ever encounter such a problem I won't forget about it in the future.  :D

The good thing about encountering a problem like this is that once you miss it once, you'll never miss it again.   ;)

A yup.  I sometimes get so convinced I found an error that I'm ready to call up the publisher.  I always hold off to think about the problem some more and then damn I realize I'm wrong.  Thank goodness I didn't make an @$$ of myself.  LOL 

A yup.  I sometimes get so convinced I found an error that I'm ready to call up the publisher.  I always hold off to think about the problem some more and then damn I realize I'm wrong.  Thank goodness I didn't make an @$$ of myself.  LOL 

I'm kind of used to finding errors - once in a while in books, more often in answer keys that are hand done.  I always double or triple check things before confronting whoever made the error - just in case!

With answer keys it's almost always one of those idiot error deals that we can all do.  With books there's a bit more thought needed.  Only once did I have my guy e-mail the writer - fortunately, we were correct that it WAS an error!  (Phew!)