Menu

New house decisions - if you're bored and want to give input I'd like it

momee

Greige or natural clay for exterior siding color of a farmhouse style with a big, deep porch.  Greige makes me think of the christmas pottery barn cover - but natural clay is classic and earthy.  I can't decide.

Counter stools - should they have a back or not?  They definitely should swivel, right?

I found these -

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/marguerite-counter-stool/furniture/category/dining-kitchen/counter-stools/209413

is the price crazy for barstools?  I'm thinking it isn't so bad but haven't shopped around in a while.

Flooring - I picked maple but contractor is worried it won't take a stain evenly (as per the flooring dude).  I dislike the idea of oak because I don't like the super glossy orangeish type I've seen everywhere.  I'm going for more of a pottery barn, beach ish look and don't think oak is what I want.  Any ideas?

Stove will be between two windows. Does it matter if it is a stainless hood or one that matches my cabinets?  I'm going for stainless due to expense but worried it might be a bit too shiny with all the windows in the kitchen.

Outswing french doors won't have screens.  Will I regret this or should I pay $$ to have retractable screens installed?

Do I need to go to the plumbing store or is Lowe's fine for our fixtures?

I'm thinking of doing greige ish - maple painted cabinets in kitchen.  Should I just be normal and stay with off white?  Again, going for natural beach-ish look throughout the room (all open spaced dining,kitchen and living area).

Those are just a few of the things I can't get clarity on...

Stools - I did backs only because I had littles at the time and was worried about them falling off. As for swivel. I guess it would depend on the layout of your kitchen but All the houses around here have them and I've never seen swivel.

As for price, I'd never pay that much, but I'm cheap. I'm more in the $150 category.

For the house color, I like the natural clay option because as you said it's classic.

For barstools I have these  the Henriksdal from IKEA, (sorry I can't get a link to post for some reason)

I have brown black legs with dark grey covers, but my kitchen is painted a medium grey

I used to have swivel barstools, I won't do them again because kids and adults alike get in them and swivel, only to bang the stool and counters together and mar the barstools up.  (I had dents in the wood on the barstools I used to have)

Flooring, I'm not familiar with Maple taking stain, I know it's a much lighter wood with less grain than oak.  I have all oak floors throughout the whole house.  We did just polyurethane on ours, so they did yellow some.  My suggestions would be as follows if you don't want yellowing, but end up with oak. 

1.  My inlaws used a water based sealer that didn't yellow as much as the oil based polyurethane did. 

2.  You could stain the oak before sealing it since natural oak tends to yellow more than stained oak.

3.  You can use a satin sealer not a semi or high gloss.  (we used satin and it's not all shiny)

I don't think stainless would be too shiny...can you get one with a matte type finish on it instead of a shiny one?

For cabinets, I love the look of different color bottom and top cabinets.  Maybe do Greige-ish on bottom and white on top with a nice counter to pull them all together.

For the record I have white solid surface counters with a built in white sink.  It's my biggest regret from when we built this house.  It's impossible to keep clean and the sink gets particularly stained and dirty looking from use.  Don't go solid white counters with your search for beachy.  Get something with some variation.  Even white with the clear glass flecks in it or something would help disguise some of the smudges.  Trust me on this!!

Greige or natural clay for exterior siding color of a farmhouse style with a big, deep porch. Greige makes me think of the christmas pottery barn cover - but natural clay is classic and earthy. I can't decide.

Counter stools - should they have a back or not? They definitely should swivel, right?

I found these -

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/marguerite-counter-stool/furniture/category/dining-kitchen/counter-stools/209413

is the price crazy for barstools? I'm thinking it isn't so bad but haven't shopped around in a while.

Flooring - I picked maple but contractor is worried it won't take a stain evenly (as per the flooring dude). I dislike the idea of oak because I don't like the super glossy orangeish type I've seen everywhere. I'm going for more of a pottery barn, beach ish look and don't think oak is what I want. Any ideas?

Stove will be between two windows. Does it matter if it is a stainless hood or one that matches my cabinets? I'm going for stainless due to expense but worried it might be a bit too shiny with all the windows in the kitchen.

Outswing french doors won't have screens. Will I regret this or should I pay $$ to have retractable screens installed?

I'm thinking of doing greige ish - maple painted cabinets in kitchen. Should I just be normal and stay with off white? Again, going for natural beach-ish look throughout the room (all open spaced dining,kitchen and living area).

I need a brand or link to compare the siding colors.

Bar stools are nice but too much money IMO....

Flooring is a BIG deal to me. I dislike oak in general because I don't like that much grain. Color is another issue. You can have beachy oak or dark oak stain....if you don't want the grain go with a less expensive wood that takes the stain color you want. Maple would not be my first choice for a lighter beachy look....maple does great with light cherry stain or dark walnut look.

Stainless vent sounds fine to me.

Screens....in my area they are a necessity.

Lowes fixtures are fine. They have some nice stuff in with low end stuff.

I would stick with off white cabinets.

Sounds lovely all around.

Greige or natural clay for exterior siding color of a farmhouse style with a big, deep porch. Greige makes me think of the christmas pottery barn cover - but natural clay is classic and earthy. I can't decide.

I think greige is probably more timeless and easier to keep up.

Counter stools - should they have a back or not? They definitely should swivel, right?

My counter stools do not have a back, and they don't swivel.

Flooring - I picked maple but contractor is worried it won't take a stain evenly (as per the flooring dude). I dislike the idea of oak because I don't like the super glossy orangeish type I've seen everywhere. I'm going for more of a pottery barn, beach ish look and don't think oak is what I want. Any ideas?

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/scandi-whitewashed-floors-before-and-after

Stove will be between two windows. Does it matter if it is a stainless hood or one that matches my cabinets? I'm going for stainless due to expense but worried it might be a bit too shiny with all the windows in the kitchen.

I don't think it will be shiny enough to matter. Mine isn't that shiny.

Outswing french doors won't have screens. Will I regret this or should I pay $$ to have retractable screens installed?

Is it an option to add them later?

It depends upon what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. A speciality store can give you more of a custom look, but they will typically cost more.

I'm thinking of doing greige ish - maple painted cabinets in kitchen. Should I just be normal and stay with off white? Again, going for natural beach-ish look throughout the room (all open spaced dining,kitchen and living area).

IMO, colored painted cabinets tend to look dated sooner because popular/trendy colors change so often.

Greige or natural clay for exterior siding color of a farmhouse style with a big, deep porch.  Greige makes me think of the christmas pottery barn cover - but natural clay is classic and earthy.  I can't decide.

Counter stools - should they have a back or not?  They definitely should swivel, right?

I found these -

is the price crazy for barstools?  I'm thinking it isn't so bad but haven't shopped around in a while.

Flooring - I picked maple but contractor is worried it won't take a stain evenly (as per the flooring dude).  I dislike the idea of oak because I don't like the super glossy orangeish type I've seen everywhere.  I'm going for more of a pottery barn, beach ish look and don't think oak is what I want.  Any ideas?

Stove will be between two windows. Does it matter if it is a stainless hood or one that matches my cabinets?  I'm going for stainless due to expense but worried it might be a bit too shiny with all the windows in the kitchen.

Outswing french doors won't have screens.  Will I regret this or should I pay $$ to have retractable screens installed?

I'm thinking of doing greige ish - maple painted cabinets in kitchen.  Should I just be normal and stay with off white?  Again, going for natural beach-ish look throughout the room (all open spaced dining,kitchen and living area).

Do you *have* to stain the maple?

We had oak in our last house; the finish was not super glossy, and I never thought the color was very orange-y. What about hickory?

I have a single french door that swings in and no screen. We don't leave it open that much here in Central Texas, because it's often too hot and/or humid, and there are bugs. o_0 I guess screens would help with the bugs, but not the humidity or heat. :-) In San Jose, California, I often left my sliding door open, usually without the screen.

I, too, have been told and seen that maple doesn't take stain well. If you like natural maple, then that is fine. FWIW, I believe that the barstools you linked are oak, so maybe you like OAK OK, but need to consider alternative stains. I like natural oak, but not the "honey oak" that was so ubiquitous in the 80s-90s. Look at actual floor samples and see what appeals to you. A whitewashed oak could be just the ticket.

I would never have rush seats because of the crumb/washability factor. They'd be disgusting in a few weeks and I'd be crying. I'd get leather seats or wood or something replaceable/washable. I've heard that swiveling can be a problem with kids as they swing around willy nilly. :) I think backs make them more comfortable, so if you have room, I'd do at least a low back.

Color is really your taste. There will always be style variations. Greige won't ever look terrible IMHO as it is soooo neutral. So, if that speaks to you, do it. I just painted our house green because I love it. What I did was drive around neighborhoods with my Sherwin Williams paint deck in hand. When I finally found a house that was IT, I actually got out, put my fan deck up by the siding, and could identify the exact color. Then I told my builder. Now it's going up and it looks fabulous. If I'd just eyeballed it, I would not have gotten that right color, because even from my car 20 feet from the house, I was guessing a color that was at least an entire shade lighter, maybe two shades. You have to put the paint chip right up on the siding to get the right color. 

Screens depend on how you'll use the doors. I love a big screen door for lots of fresh air in a hurry and to make the outdoor party feel open to the indoor area . . . So, if you'd use them this way, then put in screens. If you're really going to be keeping the doors closed 99% of the time, then no need for screens. So, if it were in a high traffic area (kitchen to deck . .. ), I'd want screens. But, if it is in a low use area (say formal dining room to outdoors, and you won't use them for patio/deck access in parties . . .), then they are really just "giant windows" and will look prettiest without screens, so skip the expense.

My builder says that Lowe's sucks for plumbing fittings, but the actual faucets, etc, seem fine. I've found much better selection online (Amazon, faucet depot, whatever), though, so I've bought little through Lowe's in plumbing. Their selections are actually very limited in the store, and if you're shopping online, you may as well price compare.

gardenweb.com is a treasure trove of info, but it'll probably make your head explode. 

Ha! I was thinking of that Remodelista posting that Mrs. Mungo linked, too.

Momee, regarding the flooring, do you have a Lumber Liquidators near you? I have heard they have a huge selection. If you have one nearby, maybe you could go check them out and at least get some more advice.

Because you want a particular color, you might also want to try to create a small sample or at least have your flooring guy try to help you get what you want. It is not unheard of for interior designers to have the flooring finisher put down several stains on a floor to help the homeowners choose. A bother but in the long run, it's so much better to get the floor stain right from the get-go.

You might be able to find less expensive bar stools online at a place like Wayfair or a similar site. The ones you chose do look nice, though.

Regarding the patio doors, it would probably be easiest and possibly less expensive if you install them when the patio doors go in. I'm not sure, though.

We have used Moen fixtures and have not had any problems with them.

The following two websites have beachy-looking homes. The first might have some how-to advice.

http://theletteredcottage.net

http://www.rosemarybeachrealty.com

We have Oak floors, that are not yellow-orange. They are a rental so I don't know how they stained them, but I love the color, and so does everyone who sees them. They are a medium brown. I never really liked Oak floors until I saw these ones. Plus, they are tough, I had Pine in the last rental and I was always so nervous about doing anything to scratch or dent them. 

Could you link the outside colors for the siding?

Those barstools are expensive to me, but I don't know your budget. If you live in a bigger city, there might be a home stager in your area that sells discount new furniture, they would be a good option, for cheaper, but still new. And I would do backs.

Yes, I would want a screen door. We have french doors, with no scree , and have to keep them closed all the time to keep bugs out and cat in. If I owned this house I would definitely get screens.

Lowe's is great for fixtures.

The bar stools are exactly the type I would want..but the seats on them look like they would not last long. You might want to look for a longer lasting material.

You will probably want screens. We do not have them, but our weather is rarely good for leaving the doors open. I would leave them open much more though, if we had screens.