Menu

Where can I get a 36inch wide, 6+ft tall bookcase

Χά�ων

I was going to suggest ikea.  around her, nice ones that size will occasionally come up on craigslist.  (can you tell I'm too cheap to buy new?  unless I absolutely can't find it anywhere else!)

an office supply store?  (one that sells office furniture.)

I think it's hard to find 36" wide bookcases because the shelves tend to bow when they're that wide. You need really thick, heavy shelves if they're only going to be supported on the edges, not in the middle. I have some bookcases from Restoration Hardware that are 40" wide, but they are solid oak and really heavy. You might have more luck with two 18" wide bookcases instead.

Don't get the K-Mart ones unless you are handy and don't mind replacing the cheap, flimsy plastic widgets with sturdy metal ones from the hardware store.

I have learned the hard way that many places sell nice looking floor to ceiling shelves for displaying collections of lightweight knicknacks that are completely unsuited for books.

Don't get the K-Mart ones unless you are handy and don't mind replacing the cheap, flimsy plastic widgets with sturdy metal ones from the hardware store.

I have learned the hard way that many places sell nice looking floor to ceiling shelves for displaying collections of lightweight knicknacks that are completely unsuited for books.

I am actually looking to replace bookcases from kmart that I got over 10 years ago. I did not use the included parts, instead I opted to screw the pieces together. The things will not die. I actually feel guilty about new book cases. Well, until I loom around my house that is currently done in early twenty-first century dorm room hodge-podge and decide I really do not care for that style.

I think it's hard to find 36" wide bookcases because the shelves tend to bow when they're that wide. You need really thick, heavy shelves if they're only going to be supported on the edges, not in the middle. I have some bookcases from Restoration Hardware that are 40" wide, but they are solid oak and really heavy. You might have more luck with two 18" wide bookcases instead.

I had not thought of that. That will make a difference

We have Rakks (hate the name!) shelving that we love. It can be reconfigured, so even though the initial price is a bit high (but can be much lower than their site indicates if you use your own boards), it is worth it for us because we know that it will never turn into excess furniture that does not fit whenever we move. Ours are tension pole mounted shelves.

http://rakks.com/

Other companies make similar shelving. ISS, I think, is the name of another company.

I am actually looking to replace bookcases from kmart that I got over 10 years ago. I did not use the included parts, instead I opted to screw the pieces together. The things will not die. I actually feel guilty about new book cases. Well, until I loom around my house that is currently done in early twenty-first century dorm room hodge-podge and decide I really do not care for that style.

That's our style too! :). We're just now replacing our bedroom furniture from target we bought 10+ years ago. Bookshelves definitely don't last as long. We replace some every year or two. They're on rotation.

?? I am confused. How does that reach 36 inches?

Yeah, that was me thinking somehow that you wanted 45ish inches, but you want 36. Silly me. That or I was adding so wrong. Or something. Never mind me. They do also have one that's 7 inches, but I'm guessing that's too wide overall to add to the 31 inch billy.

Yeah, that was me thinking somehow that you wanted 45ish inches, but you want 36. Silly me. That or I was adding so wrong. Or something. Never mind me. They do also have one that's 7 inches, but I'm guessing that's too wide overall to add to the 31 inch billy.

Just wanted to make sure I could still do math, my brain has not yet turned on.  ^_^

My dh made several bookshelves with nice thick, strong wood. Each cost about 50$ plus his labor. Totally worth it to have super strong bookshelves that are exactly the shape and size I need. They are very nice looking and go with the rest of the decor, most people don't know they are handmade. And dh is NOT a master craftsman, lol.

My shelves will not bend or bow and I have them super loaded, I even stack up books on top of the books that are on the shelf.

Me again on the Billy's. I'm sorry that u misled you. I just measured ours and they are 35 and change but they are also really old. Maybe the product changed over time. ðŸ˜

I bought multiple oak bookcases and shelves from a Furmiture Row place called Oak Warehouse for our dd''s room. I needed them to be very sturdy and look great.

We have them in different sizes, and they have a huge range. I just looked at the website, and they have a 34 in by from 36 in-72 inches...and I know they make a 36 in wide by 84 since we have several in our library!

The website indicates for larger selection visit the store. Do you have one nearby? Or is 34 in by 72 in workable?

I should also add they come in different finishes. We have light oak in the kid's room and darker in the library.

http://www.furniturerow.com/OakExpress/Axis-Bookcases/Axis-72%22-Bookcase/prod530067/