Menu

Baby gate help! Keep this baby off the stairs.

aggieamy

I really need some suggestions on how to keep DS off the stairs.  He's almost a year old and is a great crawler.  He's also fantastic at going up the stairs.  We just bought a new house and the entrance to the stairs is wide and doesn't have a good place to install a baby gate.  In our old house we just put a large rubbermaid tote in front of the stairs and it was big enough to block them.  No luck here.  Any ideas?  I like to let him just roam around and play while I do things downstairs but I can't because the first thing he goes for is the stairs.  

I was too lazy to put up a gate, so I spent a day or so making sure they could come down safely instead (backwards, feet first).  I think I tried for about three days with the gate, but DS discovered he could climb through the railings so at that point, yeah, I gave up, lol!

Given that pic, I would get two of the retractable baby gates (loved those!) that can be opened extra wide and install them in the door openings to the dining room and the living room (I assume the kitchen is in the unseen back corner).  That would cordon off the entire entry way with the stairs.

Given that pic, I would get two of the retractable baby gates (loved those!) that can be opened extra wide and install them in the door openings to the dining room and the living room (I assume the kitchen is in the unseen back corner). That would cordon off the entire entry way with the stairs.

That's basically what I have to do in my house--gate off the foyer.

We spent entire days/weeks going up and down the stairs so DS would 1. learn to safely navigate them, and 2. remove the novelty of it so he was no longer compelled to constantly climb them. Boy, those were some long weeks! :ack2:

Can you block off some of the rooms so he cannot even get to the stairs? At one point, I had a baby gate in practically every room to slow him down a bit when he was determined to get to the stairs. It's tough with an open floorplan like that...

If you want to keep the baby off the stairs altogether, do you have one of those octagonal 'baby pens'? You can open it up and put it around the entire base. They have Velcro straps that could go around the railings on the right to keep it place, and the shape will stabilize it.

In the meantime, lots of stairs practice:)

If you want to keep the baby off the stairs altogether, do you have one of those octagonal 'baby pens'? You can open it up and put it around the entire base. They have Velcro straps that could go around the railings on the right to keep it place, and the shape will stabilize it.

In the meantime, lots of stairs practice:)

:iagree: This is what friends did who had even wider curving stairs than that pic.

Given that pic, I would get two of the retractable baby gates (loved those!) that can be opened extra wide and install them in the door openings to the dining room and the living room (I assume the kitchen is in the unseen back corner).  That would cordon off the entire entry way with the stairs.

That's a great idea!  It would certainly work and all the rooms connect together so he'd still have plenty of room to roam.

Lovely house, btw! :001_wub:

Thank you.  

I would just put a soft landing at the bottom of the stairs until he learns to navigate them (not all the time, obviously, but just when he's on the go). I hate, hate, hate baby gates. 

Why do you hate them?  I'm pretty free-range with my kids but I don't want DS in upstairs in my bedroom if I'm down in the kitchen. 

What about getting a modular pen like Superyard and setting it up in a U-shape around the stairs / walls?  Meanwhile I agree with teaching him how to go up & down safely.  The design of the stairs is pretty safe, i.e., he wouldn't have far to fall if he did take a tumble, and it appears the stairs are carpeted.  I'd put a fluffy rug at the foot of the stairs too.

I'm pretty free-range with my kids but I don't want DS in upstairs in my bedroom if I'm down in the kitchen. 

If your concern is him getting into rooms upstairs, then why not put a gate at the top of the stairs or close the upstairs doors?