Menu

Honest truth, can you really lose weight after 40?

Tohru

My mom yo-yo'd all her life. At age 65 she set out to really lose the weight, dropped 70 pounds and has never packed it o again. Yay, Mom! She is 91.5 now, and ever so glad she didn't lug around that extra weight for 26 more years. She is very mobile for her age. Most people guess her at late 70s.

Not if you have teen boys. They need food, good food, and snacks, lots of high calorie snacks. Short of moving out, I'm doomed.

P.S. A bit more willpower is not an option...

I have teen boys  ;) I just make/buy snacks for them that I don't like.  I, also, feel that we set our future eating habits while we are teenagers, so I provide lots of healthy alternatives for my boys.  One of my boys is an high performance athlete on a national level squad & his nutrition is very important to his fitness.  We follow the guidelines set out by Hockey NZ in planning his daily intake.  Hockey NZ does NOT recommend junk foods for their elite athletes.  To get the recommended levels of carbs & proteins after a heavy training can be as simple as a PB&J sandwich, a smoothie, & a banana.  The rest of his daily intake doesn't look any different from what I'd provide for a good balanced diet for everyone in the family.  The males in my house just have a bit bigger serving sizes than I do, but they tend to eat the same foods.

It's hard. I've never had a lot of weight to lose, but in my 20's and 30's when I had 10-15 lbs. I wanted to shed, I'd do Weight WAtchers for a few months, the weight would come off and all would be good. Now, in my 40's the only thing that even remotely seems to work is low-carb and even that is an effort. A huge effort. I really should lose about 20 lbs., but that seems to be impossible for me. It takes a long time of strict dieting to lose even a pound or two and I have an even more emotional attachment to food for some reason. Carbs make me feel good and with 5 kids and homeschooling and all that..... limiting carbs and eating what I should.... it doesn't work for me. So, I'm in a bind.

Well, I lost almost 50lbs in my early 40s and I have kept the majority of it off. But, even though my activity level is great and I count calories and carbs and fat and everything, my weight has crept back up a bit. Over the past 2 or 3 years 10-15lbs have come back even though I am exercising more and eating less. It is quite disheartening. I am 47 and must be pre-menopausal (right?) so I see it getting even harder to keep it off as the years go by.

My weight goes up and down 5 or 6 pounds every month no matter what I do. I gain and lose and gain and lose..and then gain a bit more and it goes down a bit less in a constant roller coaster.

Just coming back to add that green smoothies have been a big help for me. (Well, and going vegan from vegetarian ... But even staying omni and having smoothies wd help I think...)

I love bread, love, love, love it. I can eat a loaf of crunchy artisan bread in one sitting. I get the carb love. But if I have a green smoothie first, I just can't eat as much. Clearish low fat soups have similar effect - not many cals but fill your stomach. I let myself have my carb serving after a green smoothie or soup and find I'm less likely to gorge.

And if wight is plateauing or going up, cut cals by 100-200/day. That can be just one slice of really high quality multigrain toast.

From experience, is it possible? Like 20lbs, maybe more?  It seems after a certain point when hormones start to fluctuate, it is really hard - near impossible - to get rid of those extra unwanted pounds.

Oh, it is hard.  You have no idea how hard. I'm in my 50's. 

If you are younger and you have a few pounds to lose, do it NOW. 

I started menopause around 48 and gained 25# over the next 2 years.  At 50, I changed to a whole food, plant based diet (lifestyle really) and lost 30#.  I've kept it off for 3 years now.  I have always been a regular exerciser.  I found that I just could not eat the crap anymore and maintain a decent weight.  Seriously, I ate dessert 2x a day.  And junk snack food. 

Eat to Live is my Bible.

I recently turned 40 but I've lost 11 pounds this year following the No S diet. I would like to lose 10 more pounds. I can't imagine ever going back to the way I used to eat. I do feel like I need a lot less food than I used to and can only imagine that as the years go by the amount of calories I should consume will decrease.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Oh, it is hard. You have no idea how hard. I'm in my 50's.

If you are younger and you have a few pounds to lose, do it NOW.

My husband and I were just talking about this. When he was about 40 he decided to take his health seriously. He was about 50 pounds overweight. He started walking/running and watching what he ate. He is now 42 and has lost all of his extra weight and ran a half marathon this past spring. He could not have done that in his 30s. We both feel that at our ages now (40 & 42) we need to work very hard to get to our goal weight and fitness level. It will be so much easier to maintain that weight after 50 than trying to lose it then.

Elise in NC

I started menopause around 48 and gained 25# over the next 2 years. At 50, I changed to a whole food, plant based diet (lifestyle really) and lost 30#. I've kept it off for 3 years now. I have always been a regular exerciser. I found that I just could not eat the crap anymore and maintain a decent weight. Seriously, I ate dessert 2x a day. And junk snack food.

Eat to Live is my Bible.

But how do you do it mentally? For me, the mental game is the one I lose every time. I know what I should eat, I know what works, I know I am not hungry on low-carb, but so many of you say you "just change" and I find that so difficult. I make some changes, but then go back to my old habits. My last try on low-carb, a couple of weeks ago went well, but then.... I got so tired of eating that way that I gave up. I got tired of only eating meat and a salad when my kids were eating rice or some potatoes. I hate eggs, so I was eating yogurt for breakfast (non-fat plain Greek doctored up with stevia and vanilla) after a week of that got sick of it, plus my tummy started to hurt.... And then one day things got crazy with soccer practice, and piano lessons and allergy shots, and un-cooperative kids and I just threw a frozen lasagna in the oven because I couldn't think of anything else..... I know most of my problem is my eating (sure, I can blame some of it in age and hormones, but most of it is my own junky eating) and it ticks me off when my four year old chooses a whole banana to eat as snack when I'm eating "granola bars". Why can't I be happy with a piece of fruit for snack?

But how do you do it mentally? For me, the mental game is the one I lose every time. I know what I should eat, I know what works, I know I am not hungry on low-carb, but so many of you say you "just change" and I find that so difficult. I make some changes, but then go back to my old habits. My last try on low-carb, a couple of weeks ago went well, but then.... I got so tired of eating that way that I gave up. I got tired of only eating meat and a salad when my kids were eating rice or some potatoes. I hate eggs, so I was eating yogurt for breakfast (non-fat plain Greek doctored up with stevia and vanilla) after a week of that got sick of it, plus my tummy started to hurt.... And then one day things got crazy with soccer practice, and piano lessons and allergy shots, and un-cooperative kids and I just threw a frozen lasagna in the oven because I couldn't think of anything else..... I know most of my problem is my eating (sure, I can blame some of it in age and hormones, but most of it is my own junky eating) and it ticks me off when my four year old chooses a whole banana to eat as snack when I'm eating "granola bars". Why can't I be happy with a piece of fruit for snack?

Low carb only works well if you also go high fat. For example, your low fat Greek yogurt should be substituted with full fat. I've been doing this since June. I'm 49. I've lost 25 lbs. I'm never hungry and never have cravings. Who knows how it'll all turn out but I believe I can live this way as a lifestyle. I'm challenged by an extremely stressful life (special needs kids) and I Travel a lot for business so I do understand your challenges. It's not easy to make the change initially but it gets much easier.

It sounds like you need more variety, so you don't feel like you are missing out. I don't eliminate all starch from my diet. I like potatoes and rice and bread. I try to stay under 100g of carbs per day...which allows for some starch, I just make sure it's worthwhile.

For breakfast, you can have anything. It doesn't have to be eggs. Or you can hAve a smoothie or protein drink at breakfast, and have a bigger lunch. And, for what it's worth, my whole family eats the same food. I don't keep granola bars in the house, or any snacks I shouldn't eat...that's what I reach for when I'm bored, not hungry. My kids don't miss them, either. Make a parfait and sprinkle some granola with nuts for added crunch. Make zucchini boats, cauliflower pizza casserole, zucchini lasagne...there are lots of low carb alternatives that will dramatically reduce your starches that don't limit you to meat and salad. Get out of the food rut. Allow yourself some freedom. Create a plan that works for YOU. Even if that means having a high-carb (over 150g) day once a week. As long as you avoid junk and heavily processed food most of the time. Eventually, get your own meals prepped for crock pot days (crazy days)...but one day at a time, one step at a time. You don't have to do everything perfectly every day to begin making changes. Choose One thing to change each week...it doesn't have to be a big thing, but start. It can simply be NOT buying convenience foods one week. The next week, you don't buy convenience foods and you prep 2 extra low carb meals to freeze (we like a beef and broccoli stir fry/crock pot meal). The following week, you make a morning protein drink and prep 5 more in buggies. Not one of these things is a lot, but they amount to bigger changes over time.

I'm vegan and and I eat a lot of carbs - so a) if this isn't working for you, switch to something you like more because there's no evidence that low carb is the only way to go. How do you want to eat for the rest of your life? And remember overall calorie intake is still more important than focusing on any macronutrient. And b ) just because you "goofed" one day or one meal, doesn't mean you can't get back on that horse and ride off into the fit and trim and healthy lifestyle. Just mentally push a reset button, try to figure out ways to avoid temptations, cook ahead, buy appropriate snacks etc... And just keep on doing the right thing.

But how do you do it mentally?

When I got sick and tired of being overweight, I decided something had to change.  Maybe you are not there yet?

It's not easy, but it gets easier. It would be much easier if I lived alone and the easiest way to socialize was not over food.  It's easier now that it is only dh and me at home. I actually had to buy a small freezer with a lock where dh and ds keep the ice cream.  Because if I can get at it, I will.  OTOH, the longer I eat this way, the less I enjoy eating crap.  If I drink a glass of oj now, it tastes like IV sugar.  I prefer the whole orange.  When I eat a piece of cheese, it feels so heavy.  If I go to Pei Wei and eat their food, it tastes like sugar and oil to me.  If I eat salted nuts, I realize how many more I eat.

It helps that I am organized and think ahead.  I will make a huge salad in the morning and leave it in the OXO salad spinner.  It will keep for 3 days in my fridge.  Then it is there for me to eat without having to prep.  I make a lot of "fast food".  I make large batches and freeze in single or double servings. 

I do it mentally because I want to be healthy.

I'm vegan and and I eat a lot of carbs - so a) if this isn't working for you, switch to something you like more because there's no evidence that low carb is the only way to go. How do you want to eat for the rest of your life? And remember overall calorie intake is still more important than focusing on any macronutrient. And b ) just because you "goofed" one day or one meal, doesn't mean you can't get back on that horse and ride off into the fit and trim and healthy lifestyle. Just mentally push a reset button, try to figure out ways to avoid temptations, cook ahead, buy appropriate snacks etc... And just keep on doing the right thing.

:iagree: I say I'm 90% vegan.  My goal is that the calories I consume be as nutritious as possible.  That makes sense to me because I must consume fewer calories than I did when I weighed 30# more.    White bread, white rice, sugar all have calories but no nutrition.  I almost never eat them anymore.  I eat a lot of vegetables.  Tons of micronutrients, few calories.  I eat a moderate amount of beans, fruit, whole grains, nuts, seeds.  I eat <12oz animal products weekly.

When I decided to lose weight, I read many, many diet books.  I chose the one that resonated with me.  One that made sense.  One that I felt I could maintain.

I better stop now before I stick my foot in my mouth.

My husband and I were just talking about this. When he was about 40 he decided to take his health seriously. He was about 50 pounds overweight. He started walking/running and watching what he ate. He is now 42 and has lost all of his extra weight and ran a half marathon this past spring. He could not have done that in his 30s. We both feel that at our ages now (40 & 42) we need to work very hard to get to our goal weight and fitness level. It will be so much easier to maintain that weight after 50 than trying to lose it then.

Elise in NC

You are wise people.  Wiser than me! 

My husband is in great shape, but I'm still doing it.  It's slow going. 

So maybe low-carb is a bad lifestyle choice for you and more controlled portions of the same stuff as everyone else would be better?

Yes, it is possible! I know because I am 45yo and have lost 30lbs this year! Part of it was through changing what and how I eat (went mostly Paleo, gave up gluten/wheat completely)

and part is through exercise, 30-60 minutes per day for 6 days a week. Helps with stress levels and depression, too!

You can do it!

So maybe low-carb is a bad lifestyle choice for you and more controlled portions of the same stuff as everyone else would be better?

I'm thinking about trying this. Like, using a little dessert plate for a meal, and not a regular size plate and not going back for seconds. And strictly controlling snack portions.

From experience, is it possible? Like 20lbs, maybe more?  It seems after a certain point when hormones start to fluctuate, it is really hard - near impossible - to get rid of those extra unwanted pounds.

i lost almost thirty pounds after fifty.

fwiw,

ann