Menu

Sewing machine help

momee

I have a Husqvarna Emerald 183 machine and keep having trouble each time after I wind a new bobbin.  On my previous bobbin I had no trouble whatsoever.

I think the bobbin looks fine and the thread is counterclockwise like the picture on my bobbin cover, I think the top thread is also threaded correctly.

I thread the bobbin through the little catch (like a hook at 6 pm of the bobbin holder metal thingie).  All seems well, I start the take up lever at the highest point, do one full stitch by hand, catch the top thread with the bobbin thread, get a loop and pull the bobbin thread out so I have two threads.

I push the pedal and start sewing and get 1 to 2 stitches in and end up with a jumbled mess and the machine locks.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong????

Take both the top thread and bobbin out. Rethread both. If it still does the rat's nest, replace the needle, making sure the orientation is right. (Flat side to rear, usually).

If that doesn't clear things up, start with different thread and wind a bobbin with the new thread. Thread machine withe the new bobbin and new thread on top.

If still having problems, come and ask again Lol

Is the jumbled mess you mentioned a bunched up wad of thread? That sounds like a tension problem. Have you readjusted your tensions settings? Have you completely re-threaded the spool of thread, too, to make sure it's threaded correctly? You may need to take it to a sewing machine repair place, or to the place where you bought it.

I have a Pfaff machine that did this.

First - I agree, rethread the top thread and the bobbin. If I do not hold the top thread tight while threading it, it doesn't 'seat' properly and I'll end up with this mess. I really dislike this 'feature' but the folks at the sewing store where I purchased it acted like this is true of all machines (although I've used plenty of machines and never had this issue before so I think the Pfaff is not one of the best made machines).

Also, on my Pfaff, the bobbin holder (not a case anymore, but just the place where you place the bobbin) occasionally gets unlevel. If you put your finger in it to slightly shift it, that fixes the problem too.

Good luck!

Yep, like others have said.

Redo bobbin and rethread machine.  Loook for a you tub video on threading it, or take it to a seweing machine store to have them show you how.

Adjust tension.

Clean the machine and oil it if it uses oil.

If that doesn't fix it, I would wonder if you have a bad tension spring.

I have a Pfaff machine that did this.

First - I agree, rethread the top thread and the bobbin. If I do not hold the top thread tight while threading it, it doesn't 'seat' properly and I'll end up with this mess. I really dislike this 'feature' but the folks at the sewing store where I purchased it acted like this is true of all machines (although I've used plenty of machines and never had this issue before so I think the Pfaff is not one of the best made machines).

Also, on my Pfaff, the bobbin holder (not a case anymore, but just the place where you place the bobbin) occasionally gets unlevel. If you put your finger in it to slightly shift it, that fixes the problem too.

Good luck!

Ditto to all of this. My Pfaff will do this occassionally (still). Usually it happens to me when I don't hold the thread tails firmly when I start sewing. My machine will tend to pull the threads down a bit when I start to sew and that's what starts the mess. This usually means I have to take the thing apart and remove and reseat the bobbin case. My machine will do this even with the best of threads.

Rethreading, new needle, and a different bobbin would be where I would start.

I don't have your machine... With mine, I've had to take the whole bobbin casing apart and blow it clean with canned air. There was a teeny thread piece in there causing trouble.

Clean the entire thread track too just to make sure there's not a fuzzball somewhere.

Could you possibly be using a new, wrong size bobbin? The wrong size fits in the case but screws up the sewing.

Do you have the bobbin case top/lid snapped in? I've forgotten that when tired or distracted and it makes a mess! :)

I will try rethreading everything.  I was using white thread, now black.  Both great quality thread - I even had a hissy when MIL tried to use old cheap stuff.

Could be some fuzzball somewhere or the bobbin case not level.

I will check all that after doing pre algebra with a brain fog teenager :(

I can only handle one puzzle at a time, lol.

Thanks for all the help, the "hive mind" is so helpful!!!!