Menu

Stainless vs Hard Anodized Cookware

LifeLovePassion

Good-quality stainless forever!  (Low-priced stainless does not garner my enthusiasm.)

My mother had a complete set of Magnalite.  I could not stand using it when I would visit their home.  When my parents broke up housekeeping, I told my brother to throw it away if he could not find someone who wanted the set.  (He had friends who took it.)  The handles quickly grew too hot to hold.  Food burned easily, no matter how much care I took.  Hard to clean.

Again, my song chorus for good stainless! 

I just don't understand - how do you keep everything from sticking horribly in stainless? How would you scramble an egg? Cook a pan of potatoes? Seems like it would all stick hard as a rock on the bottom of the pan to me. I really would like to know, I don't like having to re-buy teflon every year.  I do own stainless but I only use it for certain foods.

I do use some fat in cooking with AllClad, but the surface is so mirror smooth and so even in thickness and good at heat transfer that there are no hot spots to stick to and so it's really pretty easy to cook most things without the nonstick surface.

I learned how to make fried eggs (which I hate but will occasionally make for someone else) by watching my mother.  She was pre-Teflon, for sure!  A pat of butter in a heavy, smooth surfaced pan (I think hers may have a ceramic inner layer), the egg broken carefully so that the yolk is centered and remains intact, watchful waiting, checking carefully at the edge with a pancake turner to see whether the bottom is done enough not to stick, working the turner under the egg carefully, flipping it in a smooth motion.  It's an atavistic memory for me, and it doesn't involve Teflon.

My secret for non stick stainless-preheat the pan. You will know the pan is ready when you flick water on it and it dances across the pan. Now add your oil, enough for a thin layer across the pan. Heat the oil. Hotter then you think it should be. Now test the pan, small piece of meat or veggie should slide across the pan. If it does not your oil is not hot enough.

I have two stainless Revereware skillets I got for our wedding--20 years ago. They still look great, and I've done some really bad things to those pans....and I'm amazed when they still clean up so nicely. :)

If you run across stainless steel Revere baking pans and cookie sheets at a yard sale -- or anywhere, for that matter -- grab them.  I don't think they are manufactured any more.  I took every single one from my parents' house to add to what I had received for our wedding (30 years ago).

I just don't understand - how do you keep everything from sticking horribly in stainless? How would you scramble an egg? Cook a pan of potatoes? Seems like it would all stick hard as a rock on the bottom of the pan to me. I really would like to know, I don't like having to re-buy teflon every year.  I do own stainless but I only use it for certain foods.

Therein lies a big difference between flimsy stainless steel and sturdy stainless steel cookware.  If you drop a piece of stainless steel cookware and it dents, then it is flimsy and won't serve you well.

I have both stainless (All-Clad) and hard anodized (Calphalon).  A couple of thoughts:

--The hard anodized does not go in the dishwasher, no matter what they say on the package.  If you hand wash it, it will last for years. (I've done it both ways!), and it washes up super-quick.  Stainless does go in the dishwasher, quite nicely.

--You shouldn't use metal implements in the hard anodized, no matter what they say on the package.  (Again, done it both ways.)

-- You should store the H-A carefully, so it doesn't get scratched.  I hang mine from a pot rack.  The stainless can be stacked and otherwise abused. 

--You do have to add fat (or, I suppose, broth) if you are sauteing  in the stainless.  I mainly use my stainless pot, for things like boiling pasta, or making a sauce that will involve fat regardless (roux). The even heating does work well for sauces.  Dh uses the stainless frying pan, because he doesn't want to hand-wash or otherwise baby the pan.  I use the H-A for sauteing, because I like to minimize the fat.

--Hard anodized is a significant step up from Teflon.  Much sturdier, and much nicer to cook with.

Stainless steel is my preference.  I am lazy and don't want to hand wash all my pots and pans, so we decided against anodized for that reason.  I've found that it works best to preheat your pan, then add butter or oil until hot, then add the egg or whatever.  Rarely does anything stick terribly bad.  Scrambled eggs are probably the worst at sticking, but I just stick them straight in the sink and scrape all the stuck on bits with the spatula.

Lana