Menu

1st grade load too easy?

We are two weeks in and no tears, no meltdowns, no complaining from my 1st grader. Part of me says, "awesome". Then the other nagging part says, "should I be fitting in more?" Especially in LA I do feel fairly light.

Every morning I read aloud for around 40 min and he reads a book to me for 20. He also gets nighttime reading so I feel like we are solid there. 20 isn't a lot of private reading for a 1st grader but he's not quite fluent so it's all he can manage.

We do Logic of English M,W,F which includes (for those unaware) phonics, spelling, and writing (copywork and dictation). We are on Foundations level C. At a pace of 3x a week we will finish both C and D this year. If we up frequency we will have to find a new program, or move into Essentials so I'd rather not. It takes about 30-40 min a lesson.

On T/Th we review high frequency words through a game and make an entry in his commonplace book. He can pick any quote from our reading, or sometimes he writes down a poem or silly line he's made up. It only takes about 15- 20 minutes.

We used to do LLTL1 ON T/Th but the last book is 5 Little Peppers and How They Grew and we all hate it so we've dropped the program in trade for the commonplace book, which he is really loving. I don't want to start LLTL 2 yet, because I'm not sure he's ready for parts of speech ect. It seems like a jump from 1.

Does that sound good for a first grader? Or am I making excuses for an unforgivably light year? If I should add, what should be added? I honestly feel pretty good about M/W/F but T/Th seems like I'm coping out. Their our co-op days, so I like it, but...

We do Logic of English M,W,F which includes (for those unaware) phonics, spelling, and writing (copywork and dictation). We are on Foundations level C. At a pace of 3x a week we will finish both C and D this year. If we up frequency we will have to find a new program, or move into Essentials so I'd rather not. It takes about 30-40 min a lesson.

Does that sound good for a first grader? Or am I making excuses for an unforgivably light year? If I should add, what should be added? I honestly feel pretty good about M/W/F but T/Th seems like I'm coping out. Their our co-op days, so I like it, but...

Just a heads up D as written right now takes 120 minutes a lesson. She is going to rewrite it to be 90 minutes a lesson with the expectation that it will be spread out over two days. I'm thinking it will take my 1st grader most of the year to finish.

What are you doing for math, science and history?

We are easily getting first grade x3 (my kids are all roughly the same age) done in the morning, with a similar work load as you. I've noticed from many of your posts that you and I seem to have similar approaches and like similar materials.  I think we're fine, so I think you're fine. ;)  I don't think you need to worry. 

First grade is more about habit than about serious academics.   You are building the habit that everyday we do a little work and reading is important.   :)

I disagree. It's more about readiness. If a child is physically and mentally ready to engage in academics at an appropriate level for a certain length of time, then do it. If they are not ready, then the habit you would be forming could well be the habit that school is too hard, not fun, results in tears, etc.

Thabks everyone. I think I just needed to hear that.

To answer some questions, I only listed our language arts because that is all I'm worried about. I feel strong in all other subjects, and they can be seen in my sig. Its correct, except I'm noticing I still have ELTL listed even though we've set it aside until 2 starts.

Just a heads up D as written right now takes 120 minutes a lesson. She is going to rewrite it to be 90 minutes a lesson with the expectation that it will be spread out over two days. I'm thinking it will take my 1st grader most of the year to finish.

What are you doing for math, science and history?

Ack! Good to know. The length of C is about all my son can handle right now. Thankfully we are only a handful of lessons in. I wonder if she will have D rewritten before we get to it? Either way it's good to know that just because we got 3 lessons done in a week in A,B, and C, that won't be true for D. At 120 min we might get one lesson done a WEEK. Or just switch to Spalding... Now I wish I could see it.

Ack! Good to know. The length of C is about all my son can handle right now. Thankfully we are only a handful of lessons in. I wonder if she will have D rewritten before we get to it? Either way it's good to know that just because we got 3 lessons done in a week in A,B, and C, that won't be true for D. At 120 min we might get one lesson done a WEEK. Or just switch to Spalding... Now I wish I could see it.

She said yesterday that D is almost done.

And yes, we are getting one lesson a week done. I'm looking forward to the reworking of the lessons and being able to get 2 lessons done a week!

The look is basically the same. The difference is that grammar is added in and there is a book every lesson to read. Also a lot more writing. The writing is what she is changing. It will be more gradual with more in depth options for those who are ready.

• 1 month later...

Some kids cry about schoolwork, because they cry in general, and that is an issue bigger than academics.

Schooling isn't supposed to hurt. It's not even supposed to always be as much as can possibly be handled. I continue to self-educate because it's enjoyable, and I seldom engage in activities that stretch me to my full "potential". Who is the great and mighty person that says what my "potential" is, and at what rate I'm supposed to move towards it?

Most of the time, I teach and self-educate at the pace of a brisk walk, seldom at a jog, and rarely at a sprint. Sometimes I just amble along, looking at the scenery; and even sit down, close my eyes, and soak in the sun. The older I get, the less impressed I am by the race to nowhere. 

ds started out with a lot of little tastes of this and nibbles of that, but we burned out and cut back. I noticed a lot of other parents of first graders mentioning the same thing at about the same time of year.

You're doing a lot more LA than we are, but your little seems to be a bit further along in reading so that is appropriate.

I say awesome, but you're only two weeks in. Maybe with more time to destress and added maturity he'll want to add some things back or try something new after the holidays.

I always present it to ds as "putting the book back on the shelf for when you're older" instead of any sort of failure on either of our parts.

You might consider asking the child if there is something he would like to work on more. Does he feel backing in anything and would like more practice or go further in a subject. My son wanted to go further in math, so we did. I like to give him input in his education (within reason).

This is how I phrase it:

Does he want more phonics practice to be able to read on his own?

Is he interested in a secret way to skip count quickly (multiply)? 

Would he like to learn a secret language with mom? (Song School Latin)

If he says no it's not a big deal. I just give suggestions as to what is possible. I do see my friends burning out by February. I see them start with too much and not involve the child. A motivated child is amazing to watch.