Menu

Voice changing?

Night Elf

I think your voice does change, but especially when you haven't continued to train it.

It's sort of like when you hear a famous older singer and he hasn't sung professionally in years -- and you can tell right away because he doesn't sound the same and his range is very limited. But then you hear another older singer who never stopped performing and maintaining his voice; he might sound a bit different, but his voice is still very good.

Aren't operas often designed on the principle that lower voices (both male and female) are the older characters? Typically the soprano and tenors are the younger characters, with the alto and baritones being the mothers, aunts, fathers, etc.

Our voices just naturally tend toward this. Of course, there are the male and female singers who have lower voices to begin with, but even those deepen with age.

I agree with the above, but it might also be a good idea to have a doctor check it out. Low thyroid can lead to voice changes. Not to scare you, but a relative of mine discovered his throat cancer when someone he hadn't seen in a while noticed his voice had changed.

I noticed that mine is changing.  I need a longer warm up to get rid of the "old lady warble."  I remember my parents commenting about many of their favorite entertainers and how their voices just weren't all that special any more.  One in particular was Andy Williams.  We had an older Christmas recording and my mom purchased a new, later recording.  The difference in his voice was quite noticeable.  The new one was practically unlistenable.  (is that a word?)

I noticed that mine is changing.  I need a longer warm up to get rid of the "old lady warble."  I remember my parents commenting about many of their favorite entertainers and how their voices just weren't all that special any more.  One in particular was Andy Williams.  We had an older Christmas recording and my mom purchased a new, later recording.  The difference in his voice was quite noticeable.  The new one was practically unlistenable.  (is that a word?)

Some older professional singers, their voices just get shot from years of singing. A stroke, even a mild one, or medication can cause changes in breathing or cause dry mouth etc. Pete Seeger couldn't sing much towards the end of his life. His voice had become so reedy and shaky from so much singing that it couldn't recover. If you went to a Pete Seeger concert in the late 90s they were often billed as 'sing alongs' because his voice was getting weak.