Menu

I just stepped on a nail. Can I wait till tomorrow morning to get a tetanus shot?

Michelle My Bell

If you're at risk for tetanus, you need to get not a tetanus shot, but the tetanus immunoglobulin shot. The vaccine shot won't do any good if you've already been exposed to tetanus.

That being said, tetanus is very rare in the US, and from what I've read, it's really only a concern if the nail was buried in something like horse manure. If it were in your wall, I probably wouldn't get a shot, but to each their own.

If you're at risk for tetanus, you need to get not a tetanus shot, but the tetanus immunoglobulin shot. The vaccine shot won't do any good if you've already been exposed to tetanus.

That being said, tetanus is very rare in the US, and from what I've read, it's really only a concern if the nail was buried in something like horse manure. If it were in your wall, I probably wouldn't get a shot, but to each their own.

Oh really? I had no idea. So would you just sit on it and keep an eye out for symptoms?

Frankly, I'd still ask the doctor if you should have the shot, just because even though the chances of tetanus are minute, the treatment really sucks.

But you can definitely wait until the morning.

ETA: http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/puncture-wound-treatment -- notice that unless there's lots of bleeding, they basically say to clean the wound and watch it for infection. 

It probably went in about 1/2 inch.

Truthfully, I'm no doctor, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If you're worried, can you call an urgent care place or your local ER and ask what they recommend? Or maybe your health insurance company has a nurse hotline or something.

I would probably get the shot if you have never had a tetanus shot and it went through a shoe (who knows what was on the shoe).  I would wait until tomorrow though and ask my regular doc.  

For tonight I would soak in warm water and epsom salts to draw out any dirt.  

Unfortunately it will probably hurt quite a bit more before it gets better.

My favorite home design blogger scratched herself on some wire fencing and ended up in the ICU with tetanus. I can't remember the time frame from the scratch to ICU, but it was pretty quick. I would advise, as an RN, to not wait if you can help it. From personal experience, the puncture wound on my foot hurt like a sonofa, and I had a hard time sleeping. I got some good drugs when I went to the doc-in-a-box ;), in addition to a tetanus booster.

I'd just call the Dr. in the morning. 

This happened to me on a Sunday morning while doing chores. I scrubbed it out with hydrogen peroxide. Then I went to church and everything. By the end of the service my foot was sooooo swollen. 

We called and left a message at the Dr. on Sunday. On Monday I went in and they gave me a booster shot; nothing ever came of it.

Don't use peroxide. It can kill the skin cells around the puncture and make it take longer to heal. So I've heard.

As I understand it, initially cleaning the wound with peroxide is fine, but repeatedly cleaning it with peroxide (like when you clean the wound two or three times a day,) is when you can have the problems you describe. I'm pretty sure it's the repeated exposure that causes the problem.