Menu

Can you get in good shape with Pilates?

Moxie

I think it depends on your age, the shape you are in and what you consider "really good shape." You will probably be toned well and strengthen your core muscles since Pilates is targeting those areas. However, I have to add a little walking and  weight training to my routine aside from my Yoga/Pilates mix of floor exercises to feel fit and stay fit.

I just started Beachbody's PIYO which is a pilates/yoga combination. The moves are done in a way to also get strength training in via bodyweight exercises. I love it. I feel myself getting stronger after every workout. It is short enough each day that I actually do it, and challenging enough that you know you are getting a good workout. 

I just started Beachbody's PIYO which is a pilates/yoga combination. The moves are done in a way to also get strength training in via bodyweight exercises. I love it. I feel myself getting stronger after every workout. It is short enough each day that I actually do it, and challenging enough that you know you are getting a good workout.

I've never heard of that one. How long are the workouts?

I've never heard of that one. How long are the workouts?

20-45 minutes a piece. The package comes with a schedule to follow for the first two months. After the first couple of days I was like, "this is good, I can totally do this no problem". After I completed the Sweat video and barely made it through I realized there was a lot more to it than I originally thought.   

20-45 minutes a piece. The package comes with a schedule to follow for the first two months. After the first couple of days I was like, "this is good, I can totally do this no problem". After I completed the Sweat video and barely made it through I realized there was a lot more to it than I originally thought.

That has been my issue with other BB workouts--I just don't believe I have to be in agony to get in shape.

That has been my issue with other BB workouts--I just don't believe I have to be in agony to get in shape.

Definitely not agony, just really sweaty. If anything, the PIYO seems really gentle on your joints because you aren't doing a lot of bouncing, it is more gliding from one movement to the next. 

I was in the best shape of my life when I was working with a really excellent Pilates instructor. The things she could do with her body were AMAZING! I definitely don't think I could have achieved anywhere near the results via a video. I did ten weeks of private sessions (to ensure absolutely correct form) and then small group classes 3x a week (so I could actually mostly afford to keep it up). She threw in a bonus one-on-one "tune-up" for every pack of 20 sessions you bought, and it was fascinating what she could teach you in 30 min about your body and how it had changed through your workouts.

I also walked during this time, but only about 2 miles/5 days a week.

I really wish I hadn't moved - I would love to see what my body would look like if I was working with her during/after pregnancy.

Just typing this is motivating me to start looking at Pilates studios for after this munchkin is born. I'm sure it would be lovely to be reunited with my abs someday.

• 1 month later...

I agree that it depends on how you define 'good shape'.  If you don't have a lot of fat to lose then I absolutely think that pilates and yoga etc will do amazing things with what you have. However, if you have a layer of fat over those muscles then some cardio helps get rid of some of the fat.

I also think, for me, that I like having the cardio endurance along with the yoga or pilates type workout. I try to get a bit of both in. I do find that things go in seasons though. For example, in the dead of winter or heat of summer I am more likely to focus on floorwork such as pilates. In the spring or the autumn, I want to be outside in the fresh air so I run. Some weeks or months I get a bit of both. But if one is making me happier I do that thing until I start to feel a little bored, and then I take a break and do something different.

My son is in a pre-pro ballet company. He is in amazing shape. The teacher is often tells the dancers that they need to find time (yeah, right!) to get in a little extra cardio to make them better dancers. She doesn't want to see panting on stage.

Core strength is important & building muscle mass on the whole will help you look toned & more trim.

Cardiovascular health requires an aerobic workout though - you have to be huffing & puffing, not just from straining some muscles but actually getting your heart rate up & keeping it up for a period of time.

And NONE of these are really enough to lose weight. You lose weight in the kitchen. That's why there are the motivational posters about 6 pack abs being built in the kitchen. It's waaaay too easy to consume an excess several hundred calories each day & waaaaay too hard to burn them.

I can easily eat 500 cal over my daily metabolic requirements every day but I'd have to run a 10 min mile for 42 minutes every day  to burn that off.....
I do work out a fair bit but it's easier to not eat  excess calories than to burn the suckers.

I bellydance; all the same muscles as pilates, but loads more fun.  You can take classes as an adult, and past the beginner level it can be an incredible cardio workout too.  I have no focus at the gym.  I get bored to death, but if I'm working on nailing down a choreography the time gets away from me and an hour long class just seems way too short.  To me, the fitness benefits are a happy side effect of something I really enjoy.  My thighs changed first, and then my abs.  I got taller.  I didn't go in overweight, but I have seen women drop several sizes while dancing.  It's not a quick rate of weight loss, but over the course of a year they are completely transformed.  They get more toned, loose weight, and really learn to embrace the body they have and what it can do.  Soooo much more fulfilling to me than an exercise class.

I bellydance; all the same muscles as pilates, but loads more fun. You can take classes as an adult, and past the beginner level it can be an incredible cardio workout too. I have no focus at the gym. I get bored to death, but if I'm working on nailing down a choreography the time gets away from me and an hour long class just seems way too short. To me, the fitness benefits are a happy side effect of something I really enjoy. My thighs changed first, and then my abs. I got taller. I didn't go in overweight, but I have seen women drop several sizes while dancing. It's not a quick rate of weight loss, but over the course of a year they are completely transformed. They get more toned, loose weight, and really learn to embrace the body they have and what it can do. Soooo much more fulfilling to me than an exercise class.

Bellydancing would be awesome! I could get into that! I Really don't like yoga or Pilates.

While reading your post I'm imagining a belly dancing panda bear. That would be cool too!

I still really like it! I have noticed a definite increase in my endurance and my body feels tighter if that makes sense. I feel better in my clothes would be more accurate I guess :)

Yay! Glad to hear it. I think this was made just for me. Wewill see how it goes but I was searching for body weight strength moves to add to my running routines. I did the fundamentals disc today and loved all of those moves so far. I am hopeful.