Menu

camping and rain....what is your guideline??

ProudGrandma

we want to camp with some friends of ours this week...Wed-Friday.  (the only time we both can do it)...they have an older daughter and 2 little adopted kids (ages 1 and 3).  They also tent.

We have a camper and 3 older kids....9 and up. 

The situation...the weather....every place we would consider has chances of rain...most are about 30-40%...(during the day and night)....2 places we are considering have 90% Thursday night.  We have been checking the forcast for days and it changes...the percents go up and down...even a couple times during the day.  Some say thunder showers, some just say rain.

What is your guideline when it comes to rain and camping??

With a camper. . .no problem.  With tents. . .a little more iffy. 

We used to camp regularly with a tent trailer in October to avoid the crowds. This is a rainy climate. We packed plenty of clothes and also made use of rain pants and good jackets and rubber boots. 

Now we tent. October campouts have trailed off due to general busy-ness. Last year we had a thunderstorm while camping in July. We all ate dinner in the largest tent and made sure not to touch the walls! 

I don't know. I think I'd try it, given that it's the only time you can both do it. If it's really bad, you can all just hang out in the camper and play Monopoly or something, right? 

If you are going tent camping, put a tarp under the tent, and put one over the tent (in the air, tied to trees).  Use that waterproofing spray on your tent.  Do not touch your tent while you are inside it -- water will come through.  This can be an amusing way to pass the time, but do not succumb to it.

It never mattered how much rain the weather report predicted when we tent camped.  If we didn't go because of the forecast, it didn't rain.  If we went when rain was forecast, it did rain. 

There is nothing that puts me in a grumpier mood than it raining while I am tent camping.  Nothing.  Eventually we switched to cabins because I hate being in a tent in the rain so very much.  The kids and the friend who camped with us were unfazed by the rain. So not everyone hates it as much as I do.  Some people actually take it in stride.

Guest inoubliable

we want to camp with some friends of ours this week...Wed-Friday.  (the only time we both can do it)...they have an older daughter and 2 little adopted kids (ages 1 and 3) three kids.  They also tent.

Fixed that for you. Unless "adopted kids" means something in camping lingo that I don't know. Like those kinds of kids are the best for lugging around the marshmallows?

My guidelines....make sure you point the tent opening AWAY from prevailing winds. ;)

ETA: Says the woman who has NEVER taken our tent out when it has NOT rained. Seriously, if you are having a drought, just invite us to go camping! Rain guaranteed!

the camper isn't really big enough for all 10 of us to "hang out" in...but I like the idea of the tarp above and below.

As far as the statement about the kids ages...I only included the 2 littles were adopted because of the great age span between them and their older sister.  But now that I look at that...I can see why that would seem sort of weird.

We went camping in Mystic Connecticut during Hurricane Earl (which had actually been downgraded to Tropical Storm Earl by the time it hit) when the kids were 3 and 5.  We did upgrade to a cabin for that night instead of our tent.  :D

We've camped in pouring rain many times.  Our tent has always held up well and we don't do a tarp over or under (but we have a newish, very good, fairly expensive tent).  It seems like it always rains at night - the lovely "late afternoon thunderstorms" brought on by high humidity.  We hang out in the tent playing various games and then go to sleep.

Weather reports are so iffy.  We usually have reservations and are taking vacation time off work when we go camping so unless there's a major storm coming with 100% change of wind/rain/thunderstorms, we'd still go.  I don't think we've ever cancelled due to a weather report.

Guest inoubliable

the camper isn't really big enough for all 10 of us to "hang out" in...but I like the idea of the tarp above and below.

As far as the statement about the kids ages...I only included the 2 littles were adopted because of the great age span between them and their older sister.  But now that I look at that...I can see why that would seem sort of weird.

It did. And I'm incredibly sensitive right now. I apologize if I made you feel bad, or upset you. I'm hanging around tonight because I need distraction. I hope you find the camping tips you're looking for. 

Thanks for explaining the adopted kids statement, and thanks, KK, for bringing it up. Earlier, I opened the thread because we are campers, and closed it with a sick feeling. It sounds petty, but those statements hurt some of our sensitive kids.

OP, we camp even in the rain. :) ...or did, before I got Lymed.

I would never look at a forecast and decide to cancel a camping trip UNLESS it was a guaranteed deal.  As in, one of those mulit-day, all day rain event. 

a 30-40% chance of rain could simply mean one lone rain shower passing by in the middle of the afternoon.   Even 90% wouldn't scare me away- especially if it's predicted for the night-time hours.  Yes, camping in the rain bites, but I don't mind if it rains while we're sleeping.  We may have to dry out when the sun comes up, but at least the rain doesn't cut into any of the daytime fun.

I would never look at a forecast and decide to cancel a camping trip UNLESS it was a guaranteed deal.  As in, one of those mulit-day, all day rain event. 

a 30-40% chance of rain could simply mean one lone rain shower passing by in the middle of the afternoon.   Even 90% wouldn't scare me away- especially if it's predicted for the night-time hours.  Yes, camping in the rain bites, but I don't mind if it rains while we're sleeping.  We may have to dry out when the sun comes up, but at least the rain doesn't cut into any of the daytime fun.

This is exactly what we do.  Even 75% chance of rain is often just occasional sprinkles in these parts and we have a really good tent, so I do not mind night time rain.  And a couple times, it got ugly, we just pulled up stakes, went home early, and had a good story to tell later.  ;)

I grew up tent and trailer camping with little thought to the weather.  But I'll admit that thinking about doing so with toddlers seems a bit scary! (I don't know how my mom dealt with that. I must have a very selective memory.)

In general, rain seems like no big deal to me.  Awnings on trailers, "ceilings" on screen houses... no biggie.  Major storms, otoh, are not cool.  I do remember we once spent our last night sleeping in the station wagon b/c our tents completely flooded.  I suspect it bothered me less than it did my parents!

we want to camp with some friends of ours this week...Wed-Friday.  (the only time we both can do it)...they have an older daughter and 2 little adopted kids (ages 1 and 3).  They also tent.

The situation...the weather....every place we would consider has chances of rain...most are about 30-40%...(during the day and night)....2 places we are considering have 90% Thursday night.  We have been checking the forcast for days and it changes...the percents go up and down...even a couple times during the day.  Some say thunder showers, some just say rain.

What is your guideline when it comes to rain and camping??

With you kids and a camper,  I would think you are set in any case.

With a tent and toddlers.  Just no.  Aside from the water in the tent issue (which is partly a function of a good tent with a good fly), even if they stay completely dry, they will be bored and miserable and stuck in a tent.  Ugh.  BTDT, never going back. 

If it's an hour or two of rain, maybe not so bad.  But if we are talk 1/2 day or more, forget it.

Warm rain or cold rain?  How far will everyone be from home?

We went tent camping last week, and before we left the forecast called for 30-40% chance of rain all 4 days of the trip.  Not one drop fell on us any of the 4 days.  However, if it had rained it was going to be 75 degrees and raining, so I just packed rain coats and a rain cover for the stroller and did not plan to let the rain keep us inside.  Keeping my kids cooped up in the middle of a tent all day (so as not to touch the walls) would lead to cranky kids, insane parents and a sleepless night.

We did put a tarp under the tent, but we always do that, mostly to protect against sharp rocks.  If they do put a tarp under the tent, make sure it is absolutely completely tucked under the tent with not even one bit peeking out to catch rain and funnel it under the tent.  Also, pick very strategically where to pitch the tent.

If all else fails, we are not above packing up and going home early...once even packing up at 9pm when the situation was particularly disastrous.  To that end, we don't camp more than 2ish hours from home currently.  Most of the time I love camping with little kids, but when the situation devolves to the point that no one is having any fun anymore, it is reassuring to know that we can limp on home to lick our wounds.

Wendy

With a tent and toddlers.  Just no.  Aside from the water in the tent issue (which is partly a function of a good tent with a good fly), even if they stay completely dry, they will be bored and miserable and stuck in a tent.  Ugh.  BTDT, never going back. 

IMHO, sleeping in a camper isn't camping.  They have the tent and the toddlers, so I would leave it up to them.  The question isn't really CAN one tent in the rain (of course you can - the pioneers did it all the time), but will it be any FUN?

The temperature is also a key consideration.  It's been going down to 50 at night here.  I've seen people medevac-ed for hypothermia in 50 and rain.