Menu

Stampy Long Head

My ds LOVED those and so did I up to a point.

My caution is that they are very boring to me so I kind of tuned them out. They felt very safe. Then I heard him listening to one about a Hunger Games mod and another about a Bloods and Crips mod......

I did not ban my kid from the internet, but I did ban the internet from my kid. I posted on another parenting board about how horrified I was and how furious I was at myself for not supervising him better and the other (not-50 year old) parents didn't have a clue why I had my panties in a bunch over something that they just took for granted as part and parcel of raising a digital native, so maybe you feel the same way and that's okay.

You're not going to change my calcified aging mind, though; ds is going to get a USB stick of pre-screened Stampy videos for Christmas if I can figure out how to get them legally and I don't mind paying for them to avoid what I don't think six year olds need to know about.

Yea, for tweens I think you could do a lot worse. I'm not sure if he has any pressed CDs I could buy or a download site with a PayPal link, but Stampy is a nice kid who enjoys sharing what he's learned with the world.

DS10 says he does not curse or say bad things, which is a plus from a parental standpoint. :)

My kids tell me that he used to use "bad words" but stopped when he found out his fan base was loads of kids. I think the worst he says now is hell, but he's British so I let it go. It just reminds me of Harry Potter. Bloody 'ell! LOL

My kids all love Stampy and Squid (iBallisticSquid). *I* like him, too. He's funny and clean and he comes up with some fun ideas for playing in Minecraft that my two older kids then try to copy in their own "worlds". We even bought the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly which has an article about him in it.

I think he's a great guy. :)

I've created ds' private YouTube account, firefox profile, and installed parental controls; I'm working on it! ;)

I don't want to be such a mean mommy, but my digital native is only six and I don't think he needs to know that the bloods & crips or hunger games exist!

It would be so much easier if I could just throw money at the problem and buy age appropriate DVDs/downloads that somebody else had already screened. Stampy and Squid are great guys, they just never imagined they'd be so popular with such tiny kids.

Books are good too, but at $2.99 apiece I couldn't wait until Christmas; I'm having enough trouble waiting until ds wakes up. :D