Menu

Car schooling for Middle School/Upper Elementary?

We will be doing a bit of commuting this school year and the commute is about 4 hours each way.  I have two dyslexic homeschoolers, one essentially going into 8th and the other into 5th although the grade is just a ball park.  They function at different levels for different subjects.

I have never really done carschooling but the kids and I agree that's a lot of hours of driving that we could be getting something done.  Any suggestions in general or specific sources?  Any things that really worked for you?  Things that were a dismal failure?

Do they get carsick?  If they are okay with reading or listening in the car,  a tablet and headphones each will get quite a bit done.  I loaded earth science podcasts (which a teacher did for his class), foreign languages podcast, books (literature) and ibooks (for textbooks) for my kids.   There are plenty of good science podcasts to download for listening offline.

ETA:

This is the earth science podcasts we listen to

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lets-get-down-to-earth.../id272610388

I will look for the podcasts.  We have not set what we are doing for Science yet.  Still looking into it.  Thanks for the suggestion!  

They used to get carsick all the time.  Thankfully that seems to have subsided in the past year but I don't want to push it too much so I think reading might be out, unless it is an audio book so they won't be looking down.  Thankfully, even though our van is old, it still has a working DVD player, so we can also watch DVDs.  We have a really old I-Pad, too, and a Kindle.

I have old iPads and Kindles too.  Maybe use the iPad for the free podcasts and the Kindle for immersion reading.  Headsets works better than earbuds for my carsick kid. 

Thanks!  And headsets tend to cause less damage.  

When I worked in television the anchor always used an IFB (basically an ear bud before those were popular for consumer use) that allowed the producer or director to communicate directly with the anchor during a newscast.  The man was having some difficulties with his hearing but was just turning 40 so he had not been expecting significant hearing loss yet.  He went in to get his hearing assessed and found he had lost over 40% of his hearing in the ear he wore the IFB.  He had been using it for about 10 years, roughly a half hour a day, 5 days a week.  I think about kids that plant those things in their ears for hours on end...

Just wanted to say that my daughter used to get car sick all the time. She's pretty much grown out of it unless we're in the mountains, but when she was younger we used these in the car and even on a whale watching trip and she never got sick. Just in case you find you need some help with that.

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-151/032054/Trident-Motion-Sickness-Wrist-Bands.html?gclid=CPGSqcXG2b8CFQNsfgod2EkAnQ

Just wanted to say that my daughter used to get car sick all the time. She's pretty much grown out of it unless we're in the mountains, but when she was younger we used these in the car and even on a whale watching trip and she never got sick. Just in case you find you need some help with that.

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-151/032054/Trident-Motion-Sickness-Wrist-Bands.html?gclid=CPGSqcXG2b8CFQNsfgod2EkAnQ

Oh, great!  Thanks!

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for easy ways to keep track of all our stuff as we shift back and forth?  I have thought of a few but wondered if anyone else had an idea....

When we were doing quite a bit of driving I kept materials in car that were only for use in car--in a backpack or other such container for workbook and pencils, and loaded into the CD player for audio CD's. We did the whole of SOTW audio CD's over and over, and while ds was younger then than yours are now, I would still say that something along those lines would probably be good, where you can listen too, and all 3 learn and discuss as you go, rather than each child doing own thing with earbuds.

I still do have one workbook and pencil for car use that rarely comes in. I use relatively less expensive things in the car usually--like a Spectrum math workbook in past. Or right now I have our CAP W&R workbook out there, even though I have less now than when we were driving more it is still time worth using well.

In other words, I try not to do much shifting back and forth.

When we were doing quite a bit of driving I kept materials in car that were only for use in car--in a backpack or other such container for workbook and pencils, and loaded into the CD player for audio CD's. We did the whole of SOTW audio CD's over and over, and while ds was younger then than yours are now, I would still say that something along those lines would probably be good, where you can listen too, and all 3 learn and discuss as you go, rather than each child doing own thing with earbuds.

I still do have one workbook and pencil for car use that rarely comes in. I use relatively less expensive things in the car usually--like a Spectrum math workbook in past. Or right now I have our CAP W&R workbook out there, even though I have less now than when we were driving more it is still time worth using well.

In other words, I try not to do much shifting back and forth.

Good points, Pen!  Thanks!  

And I already told the kids we would need to divide up our clothes so we keep one set there and one set at our current home, at least for now, since we will need to commute every week for a bit.    I would prefer not to have to pack and haul clothes back and forth if not necessary.  I think we have enough clothes to do that and there are working washers at both locations.... :)

I use one of these to organize DS school work. It is highly portable and easy to grab and go

21894381i_01.jpghttp://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/storage/portable-file-storage/product-prod2330162

I got this specific one because the handle is attached to the body and not the lid of the container in case the lid breaks or the latches that connect the lid t the container break. It is small enough to go everywhere but large enough to hold everything. The lid is hinged not snap on so no risk of leaving the thing someplace.  

I have hanging folders that I keep workbooks in. I have one with file folders divided up by subject. Everything is easy to find. Pencils, colored pencils, pencil sharpeners and extra lead are kept in a ziplock baggie. I have a separate zip lock bag for flashcards and other small items. This year in addition to the texts DS is using I am having him use a single subject spiral notebook for various subjects. Math will have two. One for notes and sample problems and one for working problems. The rest of the subjects are just one spiral notebook each.

DS is using Greene Math it is free. If you have a program you may be able to download the videos on a tablet. Or, set up a hotspot so they can access the lessons on a tablet in the car. Check out audio books. Joy Hakim's story of science is on audio. Look at instructional DVD's from the library and use a portable DVD player (fairly cheap these days). 

I use one of these to organize DS school work. It is highly portable and easy to grab and go

21894381i_01.jpghttp://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/storage/portable-file-storage/product-prod2330162

I got this specific one because the handle is attached to the body and not the lid of the container in case the lid breaks or the latches that connect the lid t the container break. It is small enough to go everywhere but large enough to hold everything. The lid is hinged not snap on so no risk of leaving the thing someplace.  

I have hanging folders that I keep workbooks in. I have one with file folders divided up by subject. Everything is easy to find. Pencils, colored pencils, pencil sharpeners and extra lead are kept in a ziplock baggie. I have a separate zip lock bag for flashcards and other small items. This year in addition to the texts DS is using I am having him use a single subject spiral notebook for various subjects. Math will have two. One for notes and sample problems and one for working problems. The rest of the subjects are just one spiral notebook each.

DS is using Greene Math it is free. If you have a program you may be able to download the videos on a tablet. Or, set up a hotspot so they can access the lessons on a tablet in the car. Check out audio books. Joy Hakim's story of science is on audio. Look at instructional DVD's from the library and use a portable DVD player (fairly cheap these days). 

Ooooh, that tote looks great!

I really like the organizational suggestions.  Thanks so much!

We do have a little portable DVD player...actually, now that I think about it we have two.  One is about 15 years old, has a tiny screen and a comparatively large body (and it is HEAVY) but it still works just fine.  The other is a light weight cheap plastic affair bought on clearance a few years back for next to nothing.  They both work.

The kids have a laptop, too.  Not the latest and greatest but actually that's probably a good thing.  It is old enough to still have a DVD player built in.  So many nowadays don't.

I had not heard of Green Math.  I will look at it.  And at Joy Hakim's story of science.  There will be two library branches within a short drive of the house we will be staying at part of each week.  I plan to get library passes ASAP and hope they have some Great Courses and other material available...

We do a lot of car schooling. Kids get car sick if they read or write so we listen to CDs and DVDs. Amazing how much they retain in a quick drive to the grocery store. We probably total 5+ hours a week of car schooling. We pause and discuss sooooo often.

- TOG's Pop Quiz CD (designed for parents but we pause it a lot and have great discussions. Kids get big picture and make connections)

- SOTW CDs (chapter that is listed for current TOG week)

- IEW DVDs: TWSS, SWI-A, SICC-A, SICC-B

- Teaching the Classics DVDs

- Bill Nye the Science Guy was a hit for preK to 3rd, but it's fun for our entire goofy family

- homeschool buyers coop Hands On Equations DVDs

- Financial Peace University CDs

- homeschool buyers coop subscription to Tales2Go for audio books downloaded using wifi then played in car

- Dyslexic kid uses library audio downloads, Learning Ally and Bookshare for his TOG readings

- skip counting CDs

- iPod $.99 app for 5 minute scripture reading read by teen. Daily Audio Bible

- CD songs for learning presidents, states, capitals, math facts (songs for teaching)

- Awana scripture CD songs

- Presidents Vs Aliens ( apps are ok for 5-10 minutes, then car sickness symptoms begin)

- Stack the States app

- DragonBox 5+ and 12+ (Algebra) and Elements (Geometry) apps

- Super Charged Science DVDs

Wow, thanks Timberly!

Did you buy one of the full Super Charged Science sets or did you get the DVDs that come when you sign up for e-science, etc?  How do you like Super Charged Science?

The Silver Mastery Kit is supposed to carry a child through into High School, right?  Do you feel that this is true?  Would you recommend it for at least upper elementary/middle school science?

Any Teaching the Classics DVDs you would recommend?

What are Financial Peace University CD's?

And thanks for all the feedback...

DS is using Greene Math it is free. If you have a program you may be able to download the videos on a tablet. Or, set up a hotspot so they can access the lessons on a tablet in the car. Check out audio books. Joy Hakim's story of science is on audio. Look at instructional DVD's from the library and use a portable DVD player (fairly cheap these days). [/quote

Can you tell me (or link) where you found Joy Hakim's Story of Science on audio? I think it *might* actually get done if we had the audio!

Aren't you located sort of near a really phenomenal library?  Seems I recall a conversation about a library where you were mentioning things available that had my jaw drop and my skin turn green with envy.    :lol:

I am told that we have a wonderful library system. I actually belong to 4 different library systems. The rural library, sucks. The suburban library near me ROCKS! I primarily use it. The city library is decent but I am not driving that far. The far suburban library system charges $1 per item per day it is over do. :svengo:  It looks awesome. I just cannot ring myself to check anything out for fear of breaking the budget over late fees. I have gone inside and just hung out and done school work with DS there.

I currently have 42 audio books checked out and 12 I am on hold for. I have 25 ready to go back. I have lists for all the history series I plan to use this year and it is the single reason I was able to use two curriculum for US History from prehistory-1877.  

I am told that we have a wonderful library system. I actually belong to 4 different library systems. The rural library, sucks. The suburban library near me ROCKS! I primarily use it. The city library is decent but I am not driving that far. The far suburban library system charges $1 per item per day it is over do. :svengo:  It looks awesome. I just cannot ring myself to check anything out for fear of breaking the budget over late fees. I have gone inside and just hung out and done school work with DS there.

I currently have 42 audio books checked out and 12 I am on hold for. I have 25 ready to go back. I have lists for all the history series I plan to use this year and it is the single reason I was able to use two curriculum for US History from prehistory-1877.  

I may have to go drive a few hundred miles and check out your suburban library.   :)

When I het toy co.puter :)

:lol:

this is like when my DH texted me asking for some critical info. But my phone was in bad shape and  half the keys on my cell weren't working and only the bottom half of the display worked.   I knew my phone couldn't possibly have enough working keys to respond.  He KNEW how bad my phone was.  Why in the world did he think I could type out his answer?  So with the keys I had left I typed "hep, phn bkn"  He bought me a new phone.  :)

:lol:

this is like when my DH texted me asking for some critical info. But my phone was in bad shape and half the keys on my cell weren't working and only the bottom half of the display worked. I knew my phone couldn't possibly have enough working keys to respond. He KNEW how bad my phone was. Why in the world did he think I could type out his answer? So with the keys I had left I typed "hep, phn bkn" He bought me a new phone. :)

That is why use speech to text. I seem destined to have a screwy post no matter what.

We do a lot of audiobooks and DVDs since we get carsick. Documentaries from the library or netflix, SOTW and History of US are both good audiobooks. For older kids, audible has a good amount of Teaching Company courses. Of course, there's always good old-fashioned literature.

You mentioned you hadn't fleshed out science and it reminded me of a set of CDs we listen to in the car.

1. Great Scientists and their Discoveries

2. Great Inventors and their Inventions

3. Famous People from History

4. Both volumes of Great Explorers

And a couple more in this line.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626344199/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626344407/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406301849&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626342919/ref=pd_aw_sims_4?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

I also just bought this volume on rulers of Ancient Rome to go with our studies:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626342870/ref=pd_aw_sims_4?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

And so forth. They are great, very informative short 'chapters' with a bit about each person/topic. They also do a great job of piquing interest:)

You mentioned you hadn't fleshed out science and it reminded me of a set of CDs we listen to in the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626344199/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626344407/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406301849&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626342919/ref=pd_aw_sims_4?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

I also just bought this volume on rulers of Ancient Rome to go with our studies:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9626342870/ref=pd_aw_sims_4?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

And so forth. They are great, very informative short 'chapters' with a bit about each person/topic. They also do a great job of piquing interest:)

Wow, thanks!  These look great!  And DS LIVES for ancient history so that last one will go over big.  :)

"The Silver Mastery Kit is supposed to carry a child through into High School, right? Do you feel that this is true? Would you recommend it for at least upper elementary/middle school science?"

My kids did Super Charged Science without any input or supervision from me so I can't answer your question. This last year (4th/5th) we had 6 months of kid health issues. We stayed on top of all school subjects except science. Their daily school checklist had "one NEW Supercharged eScience online video". They choose the video from her K-12 selection. In their free time they did her experiments using 2 bookshelves full of totes holding tp tubes, battery packs, alligator clips, switches, motors, dead cell phones, pullies, propellers, gears, styrofoam trays, popsicle sticks, clothes pins, medicine syringes, bamboo skewers, balloons, rubber bands, and leftovers from doing K12 Science for 1st through 4th grade. It helps that hubby is Mr. Fix It and does Radio Control Planes - he's got all sorts of bits and pieces. This coming Sep we'll begin BJU Science 6 DVD/books. Not done BJU before but this forum had lots of great reviews. I'm hoping it will be a great fit for 2E DS9 and NT STEM loving DS11. We'll all 3 lay in my bed to watch the video lesson, then I'll send NT DS11 off to do his assignments and Dyslexic and Dygraphic DS9 off to watch 20 minutes of his beloved SuperCharged Science. No idea what I'll use for 2015/2016

"Any Teaching the Classics DVDs you would recommend?"

I bought the DVD/book set from IEW, although Pudwea isn't in the video. I've wanted to do the program since kids were 5 so that I would better understand how to discuss literature with them. You can use IEW's lesson plans and higher level literature source text to turn it into something worthy of middle school +. I finally started it this year as a gentle progression from online IEW SWI-A and SICC-A classes to Tapestry of Grace literary analysis. The kids and I simply watch the DVD and do nothing else - it's summer time and I call that good enough, not what I'd like but it's getting done. This fall will be our 2nd year of TOG, doing 5th and 6th grades, so we're new to Dialect level literary discussions. My boys love those discussions and I need to get more comfortable with them. I'm all about DVDs where I shut up and learn alongside my kids. At our house, DVD/book programs get done yet teacher manuals tend to collect dust. It wasn't that way during my firstborn's homeschooling years, she didn't use any DVDs or online classes.

"What are Financial Peace University CD's?"

Christian author/speaker Dave Ramsey. Hubby and I feel that he be-littles unwise spenders and wish he'd encouraging passing things on to those in need instead of selling unwanted stuff (fine to do if you are in need yourself!) so we haven't taken his classes. We have 6 friends get out of 20,000+ debt and pay off their mortgage by strictly following his program. When I found his "Financial Peace University Audio CD Library" at a garage sale for $1, I bought it with the intention of picking and choosing what I like and not doing the program like my friends have. Kids and I do not get bored listening to him and we spend way less money when we listen to him for 20 minutes. I want to try his teenage version of "Financial Peace University" next summer. Their friends used it at private Christian schools.

Thanks for the detailed response Timberly!  :)  Really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. These are great. They are on audible too.

• 2 weeks later...