Menu

4 years of PE reguired for HS graduation in our state - how to accomplish this?

Health / Driver's Ed count for two of the semesters, which should be easy enough. Ds 14 plays basketball through our local park district and informally at church - perhaps this can count for some portion of his PE credit. He also completed a 6 week basketball camp this summer. Other ideas?

Health / Driver's Ed count for two of the semesters, which should be easy enough. Ds 14 plays basketball through our local park district and informally at church - perhaps this can count for some portion of his PE credit. He also completed a 6 week basketball camp this summer. Other ideas?

This is required for *homeschooled* students? Very few states have requirements for homeschoolers to graduate, but I would say that if your state is one of the few that do, then what your ds does would certainly be sufficient.

This is required for *homeschooled* students? Very few states have requirements for homeschoolers to graduate, but I would say that if your state is one of the few that do, then what your ds does would certainly be sufficient.

I will clarify this with other parents from local home schooling groups - thanks.

I would just make a table and record all physical activity. Every time he practices basketball, goes for a run, goes swimming, does sit-ups, whatever he likes to do, just have him record the time he spent doing the activity. It adds up quickly.

Great suggestion - thanks!

We scheduled a sport of the month. I would get books and DVDs from the library. I'd find a book that included at least one independent drill, for the student to practice. We usually went over the basic rules of the game, but I never tested them.

We also scheduled a basic physical fitness routine that was done weekly.

A morning walk was done daily.

From your WTM profile, it looks like you are in IL ?? I TOTALLY agree with previous posters about checking with your state homeschooling organization and other BTDT homeschoolers of high schoolers to know for sure what you need to do or don't need to do for homeschool high school graduation in your state.

If you are in IL, from the searches I did, it appears that you do not have to follow your state board of education's requirements for high school graduation; they only *suggest* that IL homeschoolers use that as a guideline. I could only find the 2007 list of required credits for high school graduation in IL -- which extended what the requirements would be by 2012 -- so there could be something more recent and more rigorous now, but it looks like this is what is required of the PUBLIC high school students in IL for graduation:

4 years Language Arts

2 years Writing intensive courses, one of which can be an English class

3 years of mathematics (Algebra 1, Geometry)

2 years science

2 years social studies (1 year = US history)

1 year, choice of: Art, Music, Foreign Lang (includes ASL), or Vocational Ed

That's REALLY lightweight. And no PE, Driver's Ed. or Health mentioned at all. I'd strongly suggest keeping your options as open as possible for your student's future, and blend in the requirements of what the majority of colleges require for freshman admission:

4 credits = English

4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and a higher math requiring Alg. 2 as the pre-requisite)

3-4 credits = Science (with labs)

2-3 credits = Social Studies (1 year = US History)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (the same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8 credits = electives (examples: Bible, Logic, PE, Health, Vocational Ed., additional academic credits (math, science, social studies), additional Fine Arts, personal interest credits…)

So, if that is the case currently for IL homeschoolers, then you can do -- or NOT do -- as much or as little PE as you want, and you have a lot of room for accomplishing credits in your student's area of interest. Also, you may find Barbara H's website, Homeschool Success, helpful with articles on these specific topics:

Homeschool High School Requirements (what credits to accomplish in high school for college-bound students)

Feel free to post on the high school board for lots of great info on homeschooling high school! BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

ETA -- oops! I just saw you HAD posted this on the high school board, too, so disregard my last comment. ;)

No comment about legal requirements, but two resources I like.

-- Presidents Challenge fitness program. We have used this over the years. One component is a physical fitness test (FitnessGram) that measures aerobic capacity, strength and flexibility. In elementary, kids gots awards. Now, parents get a FitnessGram for their kids; it's very helpful. (You can do this yourself, although the new system is bit more difficult to figure out than it was years ago.) The other component of the program is a system that allows you to record activity for each kid. Program awards points for walking, running, etc. tons of activities are covered. There are awards when you reach a certain point level. You set up an account with the Presidents program.

-- Boy Scouts had a mb called Personal Fitness, very similar to above. There is also an Athletics mb, plus various other active type badges. My dd actually likes these, even though she cannot earn mb. There are forms to record what you do.

-- some techie things like Fit Bit might be appealing. They also give your dc a record of what has been done.

I'm a little flabby myself and should practice what I preach more consistently, lol, but I think physical fitness is so important and tends to get brushed aside in favor of electronics, unless kids are on a high powered 'team' of some sort.

And adding, as an aside. Ds goes to chess camp and all the Russian Grandmaster instructors include a big dose of exercises and physical activity in order to sharpen the brain. Just saying.

From your WTM profile, it looks like you are in IL ?? I TOTALLY agree with previous posters about checking with your state homeschooling organization and other BTDT homeschoolers of high schoolers to know for sure what you need to do or don't need to do for homeschool high school graduation in your state.

Lori D, can I :001_wub: your post instead of just liking it?  

Thank you for your very helpful, above and beyond, information and suggestions!

I will check with local BTDT homeschoolers for further clarification :001_smile:

Some further searching led me to this document which provides some useful clarification - no mention of a PE requirement for home schooled high school students so that simplifies things :)

I also posted some questions on a local homeschooling loop to see what other families are doing.

Lori D, can I :001_wub: your post instead of just liking it?  

Thank you for your very helpful, above and beyond, information and suggestions!

I will check with local BTDT homeschoolers for further clarification :001_smile:

LOL! Glad I could help. :) You may also find the pinned threads at the top of the high school board helpful as you have questions on various homeschooling high school topics. Each is full of linked past threads that are chockful of helpful advice and experiences of others in homeschooling high school and preparing for college:

Outsourcing, Tutors, Dual Enrollment, AP / SAT / ACT / SATII / CLEP / GED -- links to past threads here!

post #1 = getting started, books & resources, making a high school plan, outsourcing, tutors, online classes, dual enrollment

post #2 = pros & cons and comparisons of tests: PSAT, SAT, SATII, ACT, AP, CLEP, GED

Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading, Accreditation, College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid, Career Exploration -- links to past threads here!

post #1 = planning, transcripts, credits, grading & GPA, course descriptions, record keeping, transcript resources, diplomas, accreditation

post #5 = college prep/planning, NCAA, choosing a college, college admissions/common app, first time at college, financial aid, FAFSA, scholarships, alternatives to 4-year college, career exploration

Welcome to homeschooling high school! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Here are some other options:

1. Canoeing and kayaking-state parks often rent these out for cheap.

2. Hiking/walking trails.

3. Roller blading

4. We have a local dance place that offers a dance lesson and a one hour dance on a weekly basis for teens.

5. Rock climbing/wall. Again, our local state park offers "You Can Climb" events once a year.

6. Any video workout or local classes for yoga, Zumba, whatever!

7. Orienteering

8. Geocaching

9. Frisbee golf. Parks in larger cities often have the cages set up for this.

10.Walking the dog.

11. Paintball/Laser tag

12. Trampoline

13. Juggling- Start by looking up scarf juggling on-line.

14. Skateboarding

15. Tennis-every town has a court and rackets can be found at thrift stores or yard sales.

16.  Hockey.  I found hockey sticks at yard sales and pucks used at Play-It-Again-Sports. We play on a  tennis court and I about split a gut laughing every time we play. Don't know why, it's just fun and funny. There are only four of us, but it works.

17. Try a variety of activities and check the heart rate with each one to see how hard the ticker is working.

18. Set a goal to run in a 5K, or a color run, or a walk or run set up to raise awareness or money for a cause and then work on it!

19. Yard work, farm work, etc. can be enjoyable and help promote strength and fitness.

20. Set up clues around the neighborhood that they have to run to until they reach a final destination and a prize.

21. Downhill skiing -We have a local ski hill that has two for one specials on certain nights that include lessons. Look for some of those unique opportunities. You never know what's out there!

22. Cross country skiing

23 Snowshoeing

24. Fishing. Not very physical, but I'd still count it as an activity.

25. Any shuffleboard around town?

26. High ropes courses? Zip lining?

27. Playing catch with a ball and gloves.

27. Playing/catching Frisbee

28. Bean bag toss game

29. Plumber's golf game

30, Cup stacking! You can use Solo cups for this-cheap and effective. Poke holes in the bottoms though so they stack more easily.

Your ultimate goal is to help them enjoy physical activity so they will adhere to it throughout their lives. Whatever activities you do that will help them achieve that goal are good! State Parks and environmental learning centers are some places that may be overlooked for opportunities and they are inexpensive too!

Regardless of state requirements, it is well and good to instill physical fitness in our kids!

Best of luck!!

A few more options:

Lifeguard training

CPR/first aid course

Self defense classes

Calisthenics

Bowling

Golf

Miniature Golf

Swimming and other watersports – skiing, surfing, snorkeling, scuba

Bicycling

Skateboarding