Menu

Multiplication facts: favorite way to increase speed?

profmom

Is this for your dd(11)? Xtramath is good - you might want to start her at the 6 second level. In the parent program, set her up for Multiplication 6 seconds instead of just putting her at her grade level. If you keep the standard program, it'll start with Addition (3 sec.), Subtraction (3 sec), before moving her to Multiplication (3 sec). 

I like to build up their confidence with the 6 second program and get them used to the interface. Once she's completed it -- you'll be able to track her progress, see which ones she's missing, and which ones she knows but takes more time to get -- you can put her down at the Multiplication (3 sec) level. All levels are three seconds as a default.

One thing I wish they would do is add the multiplication/division facts up to 12x12. They only go to 10x10 and my dd#3 needs more work on 11x11, 11x12, and 12x12 so we're adding it in as part of our regular work. It is just so much easier to have her add in Xtramath.org and call it good.  :driving:

My kids got anxiety attacks for xtramath. Not really - I shouldn't make lite. But it was very angst provoking, and really didn't help them. What helped them most was USING the facts in another context (with a times table always available as a reference). We played non-math games that required multiplication (like Earthquake, or like Mythmatical Battles). We also did challenging problems where the facts were merely a tool. They eventually learned them. Except for 8s. They know 8s but because we tried the schoolhouse rocks song for that one they have to song their way to the right 8 fact :-/

Thanks for all the input!  I appreciate your help!

Is this for your dd(11)? Xtramath is good - you might want to start her at the 6 second level. In the parent program, set her up for Multiplication 6 seconds instead of just putting her at her grade level. If you keep the standard program, it'll start with Addition (3 sec.), Subtraction (3 sec), before moving her to Multiplication (3 sec). 

I like to build up their confidence with the 6 second program and get them used to the interface. Once she's completed it -- you'll be able to track her progress, see which ones she's missing, and which ones she knows but takes more time to get -- you can put her down at the Multiplication (3 sec) level. All levels are three seconds as a default.

One thing I wish they would do is add the multiplication/division facts up to 12x12. They only go to 10x10 and my dd#3 needs more work on 11x11, 11x12, and 12x12 so we're adding it in as part of our regular work. It is just so much easier to have her add in Xtramath.org and call it good.  :driving:

RootAnn, thanks for the tip on the changing the seconds!  This is for my dd-9.

We've done xtra math in the past, number run app and reflex math. I think reflex math was the best of those three but we still had gaps and were not fluent. My daughter is starting 3rd grade this fall and needs those facts down before she jumps in so this summer we have gone old school with the flash cards and it is by far the most effective method we've used so far. 10 minutes every night and we are sailing! 

We tried skip counting and regular flash cards and we were getting no where. She understood the concept of what was happening, but could never memorize. In walks Times Tales and a miracle happened. My dd is a visual learner and the picture stories worked wonders. There are matching flash cards in the flip book. I laminated those and we alternate days of her studying the book and then me flashing the cards. There is an optional cd, but I have not gotten that. 

Seconding 24.  My boys also liked Mythmatical Battles, but they didn't help with speed that much.

Also, in my experience...  moving on to multidigit multiplication and division helps.  I know that there's this idea that you shouldn't until their speed has increased, but I didn't even learn mine until algebra because there was no need.  There was always enough time to count it out or skip count the whole thing or add two different ones.  Anyway, I finally moved on with my boys and doing a page of 2376 x 238 and things like that instead of 8 x 2 really helped them get a little faster.

We used to play Math War.

Just like the card game war--each player gets half a deck of cards, but instead of turning up one and having the highest number take both, turn up 2 cads, multiply, and the highest product takes both. If you tie, then you do a war--3 cards upside down, and then 2 turned up to multiply. 

Play until one player has all cards or set a time limit & the person with the most cards wins.

Take out Jacks-Kings if you don't want to multiply with them, but you can use them for 11, 12, and 13. Aces can be 1 or 14.

More game ideas.

Merry :-)