Menu

I wish I could think of a title that doesn't make it seem like I'm bashing Morning Time

My own Circle/Morning Time is slightly different from what most others talk about, but was directly a result of Kendra ("best part of your day" blogger) and Cindy 7 years ago when we first started, and I always felt encouraged by them to make it fit our family. 

This is what I was saying. It is new to some people and everyone has come to the ideas from varying places. For you, it's only 7 years old. For others, it's much older.

I think the reason it gets brought up in the scholé/rest/circe conversations is that most people do *not* naturally have poetry or long-form memory work (not ditties and chants) or singing woven into their life. Morning/Cirlce Time is a way to put those things first and incorporate them if you've slipped into "check the box" mode.

FWIW, ditties and chants can give strength, provide grounding, help with focus, and sustain one through difficult or painful times. We actually value them.

For us, starting the school day by praying together, singing together, and reciting Scripture and poetry together starts our day off focused and cohesive. That's the magic, and that's what using the word "liturgy" (which I think isn't the right word) is trying to get at: it's a formative, identity-shaping habit. If singing and poetry and Scripture is already a part of your habitus (my word of choice instead of liturgy), then you don't need to have a basket or a block in your day.

I think this is key. For some who have always included singing, poetry, and ethical works, it can sometimes be a bit bewildering to see it is as such a change. It's sometimes easy to forget not everyone does these. I remember asking in a thread quite a while back something to the effect of what have you been doing before now?

It's an excellent idea, but around here, it was just school.

I would even go a step further and say around here, it's just life.

I still think it's magic.

OK. If I am completely honest, when we light a candle, recite in unison, sing while we work, or sound the chime as we change our focus, I'm pretty sure there's a little magic going on...

Follow, follow me...

To the ring of the fairies...

Follow, follow me...

Where the fairies dance and sing...

Gather with me now all the magic you can carry...

As we circle and circle 'round the dancing fairy ring...

That brings back so many memories!  I would sing and dance through the house or woods, and Lily would follow me, knowing circle time would be starting soon.

The song has changed, but the magic thankfully remains...

OK. If I am completely honest, when we light a candle, recite in unison, sing while we work, or sound the chime as we change our focus, I'm pretty sure there's a little magic going on...

Follow, follow me...

To the ring of the fairies...

Follow, follow me...

Where the fairies dance and sing...

Gather with me now all the magic you can carry...

As we circle and circle 'round the dancing fairy ring...

That brings back so many memories!  I would sing and dance through the house or woods and Lily would follow me, knowing circle time would be starting soon.

The song has changed, but the magic thankfully remains...

Love your magic :D.

Please, tell me about how you use the chimes.

The magic is a bit more plain and simple for us. What I find magical is how one morning time sparks ideas and uncovers places for learning that I wouldn't have thought of. A quick discussion of the stripes on the flag leads to my son remembering studying the thirteen colonies last year. A simple mention of Odin in the context of runes fires that same son's imagination because his new favorite reading book on dragons has messages written in runes. Another child is proud to remember that the first star on the flag stands for Delaware, and that they have a chicken for their state bird. Reading Jules Verne (which I picked out well before deciding to do morning time!) leads to a discussion on fantasy vs science fiction, and somebody forgets how to spell Wednesday, which leads back to talking about Norse mythology again. It's wild. I didn't plan a thing except to read two chapters of Journey to the Center of the Earth and to get to the next Civics question. In thirty minutes we've gone cross disciplines and oceans at the same time.

It also is magical because it seems to help the boys settle down for math and other work. I've seen a lot more willingness (particularly in composition) to discuss instead of just ask questions. Part of that has to be their age now, but they have seemed a lot more engaged in learning in their subject work since we started our Morning time.

I can well see how it ends up to be a two hour block. Right now ours is thirty minutes four days a week, but I could see how we could end up near that amount later this year, and I thought there would be no way. But seriously, it seems like the boys really get things done after morning time. Grammar went down to less than twenty minutes, spelling the same, and the only subjects that are taking time are the ones that should take time, math and composition, both of which have been positively affected by morning time.

I do think one's teaching philosophy and background has a lot to do with how morning time gets going in a home, but I would expect that to happen. I couldn't be a CM type morning timer if I wanted to. I'm way too happy to get up in front of the table with a marker and start jotting down things on the whiteboard! And forget nice nature pictures from a book--I get dragons and circuit boards drawn while I read and we talk. We do take a second cup of tea now and then, though.

I would even go a step further and say around here, it's just life.

I love that. :) Morning Time is a strategy to make it a part of your life if it isn't already, but if it is, that is the important thing. MT puts the life and love in our learning, but it's the singing and sharing family culture, which doesn't require a time or a name or a basket. 

Can someone help me see how you do sciences all together with an 8-10 year age range. History I can wrap my mind around but not science.

We are largely discussion-based. I use something like this http://www.prontolessons.com/ to spark an inclusive discussion. Or I build a unit based on available resources. 

http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-we-create-our-own-science-units-you.html

Some years we have done "Morning Time" or whatever I call it that day. Other years we have done the same things but spread out through the day. I think that whatever works is all that matters.

I guess what frustrated me a little is one blogger (from way back....) calling her version of it "the best part of your day".  and it gave that impression that if you're not doing something official in that area, your day is not worth mentioning.  Of course, that's the typical homeschool comparison issue...... I do feel past that comparison trap now after homeschooling for 6 years, but I was thinking of new homeschoolers who feel the pressure that if they don't have Morning Time, they're not a true CiRCE/Teaching from Rest homeschooler.  You can still "teach from rest" without having Morning Time. :)

This is the only problem (and I use the word loosely) I have with the current Morning Time trend. If it is a good addition to your day, excellent! If it helps you achieve the goal of teaching from a state of rest, wonderful! There are many ways of meeting the CiRCE goals, IMO. In part because the CiRCE goals are supposed to help you meet the goals for your family. In some places it has started to sound like Morning Time is a crucial part of CiRCE. I am incredibly happy for homeschoolers who find their groove. It is a good feeling (although too often fleeting, lol). However, the fact that you can teach from rest without Morning Meeting does need to be mentioned every once in a while to give a little balance.

I'd like to see more Morning Time for us poor mortals discussions. It's lovely to see what everyone manages for their morning time, but I'd love to see more evolution of morning time ideas. I took several looks (and multiple notes) while thinking about how morning time would work for us, and eventually threw up my hands, picked two things and started. I've been pretty pleased with the results so far. I'm thinking of adding a new thing every week or so and seeing where it ends up. Who knows? I might get to the singing in the end.

Critterfixer, it seems as if you're using quite a few different textbooks, most of them based on literature, with some skills being covered multiple times.  

Writing - CW Aesop B [copywork, dictation, composition, reading, spelling, grammar]

Grammar - Pendexter-Emerson [grammar, composition]

Spelling - Columbia Graded Speller [reading, dictation, spelling]

Penmanship -Wheeler's Graded Studies in Great Authors [copywork, penmanship, spelling, reading]

History - Ancient cycle per WTM [reading + ?]

Reading - Starting with the Bible, Greek Myths [reading]

Science - Plant Study, review Insects using various library resources and 10+ acres of land [reading + ?]

With the vintage texts, it seems as if the teachers were valiantly attempting to provide something resembling a liberal, literature-based education to classes of 30+ students in graded public schools.  This is pretty much the opposite of "homeschooling from a state of rest."   These teachers didn't have the leisure to give individual instruction, nor could they hold out much hope that their students were reading excellent books in their free time.  All they could do was to try and cover as many bases as possible in a class period.  

If you're spending a good chunk of time reading, memorizing, copying, and discussing a wide variety of challenging literature as a regular part of your homeschool routine, I'm not sure any of these books is necessary.  And I'm pretty sure they aren't all necessary.   That said, I do see the appeal in terms of convenience, organization, and having someone else's guidance.  But if you find yourself doubling and tripling up on prepackaged literature-based exercises, such that you have to set aside a time just to experience literature and other aspects of culture in an ordinary way, something might be out of balance.  It starts to seem like a diet that's based on "whole food nutrition bars," rather than on the enjoyment of real food.  

Just something to consider.  And I realize that the prospect of dropping some things might be more intimidating than the prospect of adding more things.   But I've found that "stepping out of the boat" -- with a lot of prayer! -- is the only way to get where I've always felt drawn to.  

Maria Montessori said that it was important to always leave the center of the classroom open.  I find this a helpful image, in general.   We need to leave room for mysterious things to happen.   :001_smile:  

Love your magic :D.

Please, tell me about how you use the chimes.

It is one of our lingering Waldorf influences. We use a musical triangle and verses during transitions. When she was younger we used it several times throughout the day. For example, when we started our morning studies we would sound a note and recite a verse preparing us for the work ahead. Another verse helped us transition from work to lunch. We had various musical patterns, depending on the verse. Some verses had a note sounded at the beginning of each line, others had notes throughout the verse.

We don't do them throughout the day anymore; they became unnecessary as she grew older. The one the remains is the one signaling the closure of our formal studies for the day. It's an acknowledgment of the work behind us and the commitment to a good life ahead. It may not be long, but that doesn't diminish its power.

Thank you! I'm glad I asked.

Using a chime gave me such a nice mental image, but with my personality I could see it quickly turn into a school-bell/buzzer system of changing subjects :lol:. So totally not what I need :D. But your way sounds really lovely!

If it helps to understand why I am using a good bit of prepackaged stuff for summer term (fall term is probably going to look a lot different) it is for the same reason that I am currently using paper plates and bowls and eating sandwiches on one side of my mouth due to one heck of a toothache.

I lost my kitchen floor three weeks ago to a dishwasher flood. This is the room where everything happens. Because I lost the floor, I also an entire two weeks salary which was to pay for my books for this year, not just this term. I don't know if I'm going to get that back at this point. I hope so. I've managed to line up some more work to get me to half of it, if nothing else breaks out from under me.

And hoping I don't have any more dental stuff to deal with for a while.

Like the paper plates and cups and soup, some temporary use of canned programs is keeping me at present from running around like a chicken. I hope to get to completely integrated language arts, and to be able to peruse the days lit for gems for copywork, dictation, etc; but it isn't happening right now. 

Here's how those many programs are used to keep me rested just in case it helps someone else:

For our composition which is about and hour and a half a day we follow the CW Aesop plan: We have the spelling list on day 2, at what point I discuss the spelling of various words, and hand out the spelling list for the week which is anything that got missed on the pre-test, no other words. I'd rather the boys focus on 8-10 words a week than a list of 25, or even to spend a lot of time on a word they won't be using in anything but their composition for the week. Spelling has now gone from 30 minutes every day to five or ten minutes and from five days a week to three. 

Grammar exercises are contained in CW, but they are far less than what the boys were doing in FLL. They are bored, and I don't wish to waste a grammar day by repeating what they already know. So we cover a few lessons of the vintage grammar in place of that, and concentrate our efforts on sentence rewriting. Having such nice short (not scripted lessons) is saving me another 30 minutes a day. Grammar is now about 15 minutes. I copy out exercises as I need, and presently everyone is enjoying curling up around me to read the lesson on the laptop. Cozy grammar--pretty cool.

Wheeler's book is saving me untold hours looking for perfectly beautiful pieces of poetry to copy. I can pick one or two for cursive practice, and I don't have to scribe it on the board or type it out for the boys to have a copy. I just highlight what I want, we can discuss it, and we're ready to go.

I don't know how much time this saves me, but I figure it has taken my prep time down to three minutes or less.

I've shaved about one and a half hours off my day with my choices, which is cool, because that's maybe an hour and a half more for that literature and discussion time that I want to carve out. And it is keeping me quite restful for now, which is pretty good, because I've got plenty to be :willy_nilly: right now!

Can someone help me see how you do sciences all together with an 8-10 year age range. History I can wrap my mind around but not science.

We are largely discussion-based. I use something like this http://www.prontolessons.com/ to spark an inclusive discussion. Or I build a unit based on available resources.

http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-we-create-our-own-science-units-you.html

I guess I'm struggling more with the image of a junior with a third grader (or a ninth grader with a K or first grader...)

I guess I'm struggling more with the image of a junior with a third grader (or a ninth grader with a K or first grader...)

dauphin because our homeschool group ditched "class days" they brought in a speaker to tell us all about the wonders of home co-oping. One of her points I found interesting was that because space is a very finite commodity in home co-oping they often teach courses pre-k through high school, even science. They said they would start with a preschool level activity which acted as a warm up for the older kids. Then they would excuse the younger kids and continue on at the high school level. I think this is a great idea. Think of the discussion that all could participate in around the dinner table or the deeper understanding and retention of concepts as the older student plans to or helps teach the younger student. :) Hth

Liz

We all do things in our homeschool that (many different species of the veritable) flies on the wall could look at and think well duh or no way or you've got to be kidding me or who has to plan that? or what a waste of time or whatever other judgmental statement best conveys the lack of understanding about the particular circumstances of the homeschooling folks behind that wall.

I started a thread once about how to be a better guidance counselor (for lack of a better term) to my kids and a lot of the responses were along the lines of uh, don't ya, yanno...talk to your kids? Well, yeah, I do, a lot actually. But I wanted more, something specific and concrete, because for our particular circumstances, all of our many unofficial talks weren't the same for me as purposefully, holistically addressing the topic, looking at it in a cause-and-effect, choices matter kind of way. Even when I explained myself, I think a lot of people thought I came across as someone who was some kind of control freak, which is not accurate (in this area; I am totally a control freak in many other areas, LOL). On the flip side, there were people who thought it was bizarre and unnecessary to talk about homeschool philosophy with their kids. That made me defensive. Why not discuss it? If my kids enjoyed the conversation and I enjoyed the conversation, why would I allow someone else thinking it was wacky or unnecessary prevent me from doing what felt right to me? It was merely knowledge and a skill set I wanted to develop intentionally, not haphazardly. Could someone else do it well haphazardly? Or do it really well intentionally but as part of their job as mom, outside of school hours? Of course! But I think for every person who does something really well off the cuff, there is another person who struggles with the same thing. And the person who is awesome at that one thing surely struggles in other areas.

Anyway, I think we could substitute any other aspect of homeschooling for Morning Time, debating the need for and benefit of it, and people would post mixed feelings about it simply because everyone has different priorities and strengths. 

dauphin because our homeschool group ditched "class days" they brought in a speaker to tell us all about the wonders of home co-oping. One of her points I found interesting was that because space is a very finite commodity in home co-oping they often teach courses pre-k through high school, even science. They said they would start with a preschool level activity which acted as a warm up for the older kids. Then they would excuse the younger kids and continue on at the high school level. I think this is a great idea. Think of the discussion that all could participate in around the dinner table or the deeper understanding and retention of concepts as the older student plans to or helps teach the younger student. :) Hth

Liz

My range is only preK to 6th grade. Taurus just sits in and listens as long as he can (he's just three). The main lesson is for the other kids. Sagg has additional related reading aand writing at his level. 

For instance, this year Sagg will do LOF pre algebra with biology (among other things). Additionally, we will all do Pronto Lessons Biology. From that, Aries and Sagg will have writing assignments. I will likely add independent reading from the library. 

If they were older, I might have them do something like CK12 biology in conjunction with our group lessons.

I hope I'm not conveying that this all comes naturally to me.  It definitely doesn't.  I've had to consciously add those type of things into our day.  And it happened slowly, not all at once.  I was just trying to understand why I kept getting the impression that if you were "teaching from rest", you had to have an official Morning Time.  I tried myself to add it recently, but couldn't understand the point of adding that to our day if we were already accomplishing those things at other times.

But I wasn't trying to imply that this came naturally to me, and that we already had it covered.  For me though, the definition of "teaching from rest" is almost the opposite of adding an official Morning Time.  For me, teaching from rest means that I acknowledge that my kids are getting education in some of life's ordinary moments, rather than just in official school time.  They are listening to classical music, singing hymns, reading poetry and literature as a part of their life.  Scheduling it in more officially would be taking away from my rest. :)

So, I wasn't judging, just trying to understand better where others were coming from.  Hearing the different explanations were helpful to me in understanding how it works for others.

I hope I'm not conveying that this all comes naturally to me.  It definitely doesn't.  I've had to consciously add those type of things into our day.  And it happened slowly, not all at once.  I was just trying to understand why I kept getting the impression that if you were "teaching from rest", you had to have an official Morning Time.  I tried myself to add it recently, but couldn't understand the point of adding that to our day if we were already accomplishing those things at other times.

But I wasn't trying to imply that this came naturally to me, and that we already had it covered.  For me though, the definition of "teaching from rest" is almost the opposite of adding an official Morning Time.  For me, teaching from rest means that I acknowledge that my kids are getting education in some of life's ordinary moments, rather than just in official school time.  They are listening to classical music, singing hymns, reading poetry and literature as a part of their life.  Scheduling it in more officially would be taking away from my rest. :)

So, I wasn't judging, just trying to understand better where others were coming from.  Hearing the different explanations were helpful to me in understanding how it works for others.

Just to be clear, I wasn't calling you judgmental.

Also, I think it is perfectly fine and wonderful if it does come naturally to you! Nothing wrong if that is true! We all (hopefully!) rock at some things, and we all (probably) do other things spectacularly badly. 

:)  Because I'm not.  I'm really not!

Don't be mad at me all you CiRCE, Schole' people.  I'm right there with you in spirit.  I have truly been inspired by so many CiRCE and similar writers and speakers this year.

But I don't get Morning Time.  Don't get me wrong: I DO get it...in that I completely understand what it is, I've read numerous blog posts and all of Cindy Rollins' series.  

But isn't it nothing more than doing CM type subjects together as a family?  and if you've ever used MFW or SCM or any similar curriculum, aren't you already sitting down and reading together with all ages.  I'm trying to understand what makes it so magical and why it has to have a name and a basket. 

We've been reading chapter books together from the get go.  We listen to classical music together and sing hymns together in the car.  We read the Bible together before bedtime.  We have poetry time scheduled into our week as well as picture study and nature study.  etc. etc.  But it's not all at one time and it doesn't have a basket.  For us, it's just......school.  and just the way we operate as a family.

I don't mean to be mean about this, but I'm not getting it.

I think that the above bolded sums it up.  You are on board with the over-aching big idea of (insert your descriptive name for that thing we are trying to do, that some call "morning time" or "family enrichment subjects").

The practical details of how one implements that big idea is and will be different for every family.  We tend to name these big ideas so we don't have to type things like  ^^^^^^.  Just purely practical reasons.  

You are saying "yes" to the big idea and "no" the how some others are doing it.  That's okay.

And I retract my pervious comment about it not being magical.  I think it is magical whether you do it throughout the day, in the morning, give a name or not, or put it in a basket.  All these true, beautiful, and good things are magical.  They make a home, an education, and a childhood magical. 

FWIW, Circle/Morning time replaced some of what we were doing for school, it didn't add to it.  Not sure if it is an accurate application, but that is what I took away from the Circe thread. Way Fewer Subjects + Reading Time (didn't know what to call it back then) = Richer, More Restful Schooling.

Keri, your day sounds more like a genuine Schole education! Someday I will be like you. :)

FWIW, Circle/Morning time replaced some of what we were doing for school, it didn't add to it.  Not sure if it is an accurate application, but that is what I took away from the Circe thread. Way Fewer Subjects + Reading Time (didn't know what to call it back then) = Richer, More Restful Schooling.

Keri, your day sounds more like a genuine Schole education! Someday I will be like you. :)

Yes! We started out, early on, in the good, true, and beautiful, without having a name for it. Along the way, we became so caught up in (very necessary) skill work, and checklists, and planned, scripted lessons that our school became an endless, frustrating succession of check marks and criticism and cajoling and nagging. Very little goodness, not enough beauty, no rest. :(

Now, we are shifting back. I tossed all the workbooks. Investing in high quality, enjoyable, nonconsumable books. Consolidating the redundancy. Interweaving our days with togetherness and rest. 

So far (4 or 6 months or so, and still working on the transition), I feel much better. My kids are happier, and better behaved-though not perfect. Our relationships are improving. I laugh more and yell less. That was my goal for last year, but the how of it took some time. I feel like we are finally there. Consequently, I'm not dreading starting kindy again this year, nor doing it again next year, nor again a few years after that. 

I envy those who have had this always. I wish I had never veered. But then, maybe we needed that to get here.

For this year, i am planning LESS, and hoping to get more out of it, and praying that I don't panic over all the things we aren't doing RIGHT NOW. We have time, and it's better spent on less now than on more.

I haven't read all the Circe threads or lectures.  If morning time was a revelation to you to change your routine for the better, that is awesome for you!  I don't see why there has to be a specific way to do this or why it has to be in the morning.  I think it would work just as well if you all gathered together after lunch or in the evening to do the same things.  Morning may be magical for some and fit into your schedule better than all the other busy activities, but I agree with PP.  This is only my second year homeschooling, but we have a pretty regular "morning time" already established this year where we read the Bible, have family prayer and pray for family members with a prayer jar, say the Pledge of Allegiance, sing a patriotic song and maybe some other songs and work on our Memory work.  One thing that fell by the wayside was some literature read-alouds, partly because my son preferred to read them to himself.  But I do want to start that this year and plan to do it after lunch this year before nap time for the littles.  I am also doing Leading Little Ones to God, which includes a hymn.  I also want to get better about poetry, and increase our memory this year, so we will do that this year too.  After memory, I plan to go into Song School Spanish with both my kids and then go about our curriculum.  I have a toddler, so art HAS to be in the afternoon, and my husband is the classical music aficionado in our house, so I delegated music appreciation to him in the evenings.  

Anyways, that very detailed response to say I am not sure what exactly is so magical about morning time and a basket either unless it just helps you prioritize better.  I think the important thing here is to make these things a priority and make time for them.

It's not enough to create magic. You have to create a price for magic, too. You have to create rules.  --Eric A. Burns

I ran across this quote in our AoPS Intro to Algebra this morning. It immediately brought to mind this thread. Even in fairy tales, there are rules for magic. Perhaps morning time is one of the rules for magic in some homes. In others, it's not. In some homes having less subjects equals more magic. In others, studying many subjects nurtures endless wonder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :001_wub:

I guess I've always had morning time (or afternoon time).  No pretty basket thought, just a lime green plastic milk crate.  It is a time for me to get to all that wonderful CM reading that I could never fit in during the rest of the day.  It doesn't replace actual school subjects but supplements them.  I alternate between nature, geography, myths, biographies, Shakespeare readings and picture study.  Sometimes we do drill work.  A poem is always included.  Or we might spend the entire time reading/discussing some current event.  Mornings are usually good because we're all together.  Now that I drive my older dd to school three days a week, it will get pushed out until after lunch.  We usually have tea while we're curled up on the couch, and if a dd has made a yummy baked good, we'll have a snack.  It's pleasant, low key, and we all look forward to it.  It just seemed like a good time to get everyone together, relax, and enjoy the home part of homeschooling.