Menu

Talk Nerdy to Me (parody song/video)

Rebel Yell

BUMPING because this didn't inspire any comments, but it's HILARIOUS and I want everyone to get a chance to see/listen.

I love it esp. because the beat is so infectious, but I'm not 100% comfortabel listing to it (original song- "Talk Dirty") with young ears around.  There is a radio edit, but we've discovered some radios stations edit more than others. :svengo:

The original song is not just unsuitable for kids, it's borderline misogynistic, IMO. I love pop music & lots of hip hop, but that song's nasty.  This version is much better.

Having said that, this song is 100% about geekiness, not nerdiness, so that annoys me.  It's a lot easier to be a geek than a nerd, no claiming credit where it's not due!

Um actually if you look up the dictionary definitions nerdy does seem to fit better than geeky.

Although honestly I've heard those terms used interchangeably and for various contexts.

No need to be snotty. I just think of that pop culture stuff as geeky. Nerds play chess, geeks cosplay.

My favorite similiar song is by Wierd Al, "white and nerdy".

This is the song that kept going through my head until I played the linked video.

Cute video!  I don't mind sharing that one with the family (too much like us, I think)....

The original song is not just unsuitable for kids, it's borderline misogynistic, IMO. I love pop music & lots of hip hop, but that song's nasty. This version is much better.

Having said that, this song is 100% about geekiness, not nerdiness, so that annoys me. It's a lot easier to be a geek than a nerd, no claiming credit where it's not due!

I find lots of hip hop music (even some sung by feminists!!) to be quite misogynistic.

No need to be snotty. I just think of that pop culture stuff as geeky. Nerds play chess, geeks cosplay.

My dd would say nerds do computer/hard science.  geeks pretend they do.  (iow: the "pop culture stuff".)

My dd would say nerds do computer/hard science.  geeks pretend they do.  (iow: the "pop culture stuff".)

I think this might vary by area.  When I was growing up you had the band geeks, but the nerds were definitely like the ones portrayed in this video.  Actually, other than band very definitely being the geeks, geeks and nerds were otherwise pretty interchangeable.

And, really, since this song is replacing "dirty" with "nerdy" and those two sound very similar while dirty and geeky do not, it makes sense to use the term nerdy whether people think it fits the exact definition or not.  It flows better.

Um actually if you look up the dictionary definitions nerdy does seem to fit better than geeky. 

Although honestly I've heard those terms used interchangeably and for various contexts.

:iagree:   Seriously- just ask a "cool" kid if the people in the video are "geeks" or "nerds" and he'll probably say "Both" (and worse. ) :glare:

I think this might vary by area.  When I was growing up you had the band geeks, but the nerds were definitely like the ones portrayed in this video.  Actually, other than band very definitely being the geeks, geeks and nerds were otherwise pretty interchangeable.

And, really, since this song is replacing "dirty" with "nerdy" and those two sound very similar while dirty and geeky do not, it makes sense to use the term nerdy whether people think it fits the exact definition or not.  It flows better.

:iagree:

:lol:  "friendly snark" here...  really, I mean no hatred, just a touch of sarcasm... but I'll probably be misunderstood anyway...  :huh:  LOL, I never imagined I'd have to add "JAWM" to a funny post abut a parody song.

Seriously- if we're going to debate nerd vs. geek let's go back to the original carnival sideshow definition of geek. :ack2:

Geek, nerd, brain, athlete, basket case, princess, criminal. Let's all just laugh together. :biggrinjester:  SIncerely yours, Rebel Yell

:iagree:   Seriously- just ask a "cool" kid if the people in the video are "geeks" or "nerds" and he'll probably say "Both" (and worse. ) :glare:

I don't know, that was true 20 years ago.  But now? Cool kids have read Harry Potter. Cool kids watch Avengers and Xmen. Cool kids use the Picard gifs.  Cool boys at the least went through a Star Wars phase when they were 7.

Rebel Yell, on 07 Jul 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't know, that was true 20 years ago.  But now? Cool kids have read Harry Potter. Cool kids watch Avengers and Xmen. Cool kids use the Picard gifs.  Cool boys at the least went through a Star Wars phase when they were 7.

Sorry, I forgot to define my terms. While *I* and most people I know consider all of that stuff and more like it to be "cool" I was referring to the "Cool kids" as those who are NOT into that sort of thing.  And true- many of the "cool kids" (by my definition) have *read* Harry Potter, they are not *into* it- you know, read the book, watch the movie, move on.  Many of them would think of kids who dress up/cosplay and write fanfics as nerds, geeks or worse.

FWIW, my daughter, who spent the last year in public school (9th grade, high school), said that nerds tend toward the TV show and book fandoms while geeks tend toward the comic book and action hero fandoms, therefore this video portrays both nerds and geeks equally.  We kind of live in a weird area and a lot of the "cool" kids are also very smart and into some of the things that could also label them "nerdy" and/or "geeky."

FWIW, my daughter, who spent the last year in public school (9th grade, high school), said that nerds tend toward the TV show and book fandoms while geeks tend toward the comic book and action hero fandoms, therefore this video portrays both nerds and geeks equally.  We kind of live in a weird area and a lot of the "cool" kids are also very smart and into some of the things that could also label them "nerdy" and/or "geeky."

:laugh:   Diamond is both e "nerd" AND a "geek" by those definitions.

But NOT by the computer/gamer/mathy/science definition for either. :huh:

Rebel Yell, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:snapback.png

:laugh:   Diamond is both e "nerd" AND a "geek" by those definitions.

She said there is a lot of overlap.

I'll bet!  Especially when you factor in the anime/manga crowd. O.o Do we even have a name for them?