Menu

Texting and driving

Night Elf

My BIL just posted a picture on facebook of a car upside down in his driveway. The young lady is in her early 20s and was texting while driving. She went airborne, hit a telephone pole then bounced of a tree. By the time he and his family ran outside, she was crawling out of the back window. No injuries. I bet she never does that again.

How incredibly stupid. 

I'm too afraid to change the radio station, never mind doing something that psychotic. 

One of my great aunts was changing the radio station while driving 70 on a two lane road, hit a rock on the road and crashed into a tree.  She was killed instantly.  She had just finished talking on the phone the night before about how excited she was because she was coming to my high school graduation several states away.  If she had had a cell phone I am certain she would have been texting while driving.   I loved her dearly but some people really do think the laws of physics don't apply to them.

I angered another driver the other day.  I was driving past her in the other lane and she was drifting all over the road.  I looked over as I went past and saw she was texting while driving.  She was probably in her mid-40s.  I honked at her for several seconds and scared the daylights out of her. 

This drives me nuts and is so dumb.  Our cheesy minivan can work with blue tooth and cell phones to at least make voice phone calls with one button on the steering wheel and then entirely verbally.  I see NO reason for this.  Grrrrr ... I'm glad she didn't hurt anyone!

Our friend lost their mother and aunt when the pickup truck behind them rammed into their car while it was stopped at a light. The truck end up in the back seat of the car. The driver did not see that they had stopped because he was texting.

So sad. Two lives lost and one young mans ruined in order to say something that could wait.

I once read an article about a girl in TX who was texting and driving, had a horrific crash, and was in the hospital for months. She had to learn to walk again.

They interviewed her a year later and she admitted she still texted while driving.

I rarely get het up about strangers, but I really wanted to punch that young woman.

We can't assume that this accident will dissuade anyone from texting while driving.