Menu

Do I have this right: Mastery and Spiral Approach

LisaKinVA

Is a "Mastery Approach" dealing with something like addition concepts for awhile (such as... add 2-digit numbers, add 2-digit numbers with carrying, add 3-digit numbers with carrying, etc.) before moving onto subtraction concepts. Usually there are review portions that review everything up to that point at the end of each chapter.

And a "Spiral Appraoch" is where they introduce a new topic have a handful of practice problems and then reivew of a ton of others? (I'm thinking Saxon & Abeka here)

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that approach #1 works best for my children, and just want to make sure I have the "approach" correct.

I'm also wondering what other curriculums use the "Mastery Approach" -- because, while I love the Abeka workbooks, my children are tiring of all the mindless review (for them) about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd grade book -- and I'm tired of spending $$$ on books that we have to skip tons of material to keep them learning. KWIM?

I'd still like a work-book for my youngest (my dd is now using the Sadlier-Oxford, which requires handwriting -- but I *own* the book, and would rather not buy another one.

Thanks!

I've heard and read several places that Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics uses a mastery approach, meaning it covers one concept, then practices it, then moves on with occasional review later. I have MCP Math K and I like it.

I know for a fact that Saxon Math (even though we've never used it and don't plan on using it) uses a spiral approach, which someone else can explain a lot better than I can :tongue_smilie:

Here's how I see it:

Mastery approach is where you teach a topic and then they practice that topic. Review problems are included for the purpose of reviewing topics already learned and mastered. Sometimes this is learning all of addition, then all of subtraction, etc. However it can also be learning some addition to the point of mastering those lessons, then learning something else ... either more addition or starting subtraction but practicing the new topics till they are mastered.

Spiral approach teaches one topic, then has you practice a bit with the new info and then has you practice with topics learned before. Thus the review is included daily with the intention of cementing the lessons ... not really to just review the information. The reviews here are key to learning the information. The idea is that if they didn't really 'get it' on the first day of the new topic .. it's okay because they will get a chance to try again ... and again as they continue to see it daily in their 'review' problems.

Incremental is similar to spiral in it's use of review (I believe). However it differs from spiral in that the new topic is broken up into smaller chunks and taught a piece at a time, building up to an understanding of the full topic (incrementally).

Mastery approach programs:

Mastering Mathematics

Systematic Math (?)

Lial's Basic College Math

Spiral approach programs:Horrizons

Incremental:

Saxon

There are more examples, I just can't think of them right now. :confused:

Hope this helps some!

I think there are various versions of Mastery style curriculums, some of which are more "spirally" than others.

For example, you mentioned doing Addition, then 2-digit addition, then 3-digit addition before moving on to subtraction. IMO that would be a rare program. Perhaps Math U See does it that way?

BJU math and Singapore math, both of which I would call mastery programs, introduce a topic like single digit addition, then practice it (with variations) for a unit (perhaps two weeks). The next unit might deal with single digit subtraction, the one after that with clocks, and so on. Double Digit Addition comes later in the year, as does Double Digit Subtraction. I guess that spirals a little, but the fact is you are doing mostly one operation for a length of time, like a couple of weeks. You ARE still revisiting it at a higher level, but it is after spending time on other concepts first.

I guess there are differences between Spiral and Incremental? CLE seemed just like Saxon to me, but I have heard Saxon called incremental while CLE is mostly just called Spiral. I know Horizons and Abeka are considered Spiral. They are a little different from Saxon and CLE in that they don't review *Every* concept every lesson? Is that right?

Singapore Math is another mastery curriculum.
It spirals once a year, but expects mastery at each stage. However, "spiral" is usually defined as revisiting more than once a year.

For example, you mentioned doing Addition, then 2-digit addition, then 3-digit addition before moving on to subtraction. IMO that would be a rare program. Perhaps Math U See does it that way?

I guess there are differences between Spiral and Incremental? I know Horizons and Abeka are considered Spiral. They are a little different from Saxon and CLE in that they don't review *Every* concept every lesson? Is that right?

MUS is not that way. Alpha has place value, addition, subtraction, skip counting, math facts, and telling time.

I called Horizons incremental because it teaches each concept in tiny bits over 10 or so lessons. By the 10th lesson you are actually doing it. It makes no sense to me to not teach a concept all the way through. It does not review everything in every lesson. That seems impossible.

This is a great thread, because I almost switched from Horizons to CLE or Saxon, and they would probably clash with my teaching style as much as Horizons.