Menu

A friend needs a recommendation for 12th grade science, NOT bio/chem/physics

Hi--been a long time since I've perused this board!

My df has a 12th grade girl who has done Bio/Chem/Physics. She is looking for suggestions for other sciences, not wanting to do Bio 2, Chem 2, etc. They are Christian, but IDK re YEarth. They don't want Apologia Marine Bio.

I suggested MIller Levine Environmental Science--or Astronomy, but again, IDK if they are YE. I thought maybe Botany paired with a semester of Environ? Or...what else? Lab component may be good, but I think she's done enough of that.

So, What can you recommend?

I would do an environmental science focused on sustainability and alternative energy sources.  I don't think there is a specific curriculum for that but could be put together.  In fact that is going to be a science that we do in high school, and we luck out that the college in the next town has a demonstration farm of sustainability complete with solar panels, windmills, off grid living etc.  Your friend can see what resources are available, follow a regular environmental text and then add further reading and kits to bring more emphasis to sustainability.

Ds did an awesome environmental science class at the local college. They split their class time between field trips and research after the first few weeks. Maybe your friend could find something like that. Yes, there was a time of "old earth" as they discussed fossil fuels, but it wasn't a main theme.

I'm going to have dd do Signs and Seasons as well as read books, watch Nova videos, etc., anything that I can find. She is not going into a science field, already knows her scores will qualify her for a full tuition scholarship at her choice school, so I think she should study something she actually wants to know more about. The historical navigational approach appealed to her. 

I have a DK Space encylopedia as a secular reference. I have a NASA dvd and educator's guide, Journey to the Stars. I'm going to be researching extras during July.