Menu

A few things we learned from our big OUT WEST vacation

Ottakee

First of all, what you think will take a long time, doesn't and what you think will be a short stop, won't be............so be flexible.

A few more things:

1.  Occ. we ended up with a hotel where we needed 1 child to sleep on the floor.  We offered $2 to the child that slept on the floor and that instantly took care of the issue.  We had 2 that wanted the bed and 1 that wanted the money.  Small price to pay for peace and a nice reward for the child left without a bed.  We did get a roll away if available.

2.  The FREE things/attractions/museums, etc. were often just as good, if not better than the high cost things.  We enjoyed free museums, national parks (our special needs kids get free passes but even without them, they are a great deal), a fish hatchery where the total cost was $3 for the fish food (optional), a free museum/visitor center at a dam and even those as information centers as you enter states can be very good and fun for the kids.

3.  Be OK with splurging on a few things (if you can afford it).  We did the Cody WY rodeo (honestly NOT worth it for us) but then dh and ds paid $30 each to ride the tram 10.000 feet up to the top of the mountain at Jackson Hole Mountain resort and they LOVED it.  The girls and I each paid $35 for a 1 hour trail ride in Idaho in a mountain meadow where we saw a moose cow with a newborn calf and a few more moose.

4. Give the kids a budget and let them spend their money when/how/if they want.  Ours got $20/each and one spent $5 and the other 2  didn't spend any of it on vacation but saved it for home where things are cheaper----saves a lot of asking for things at tourist traps as they are free to buy it if it is worth it to them.

5.  Be flexible.  Go with the flow.

We did get to Shady Rest and it was nice.  The weather was not so great so we got in there late and left rather early but it was nice having dh and I in one room and the kids in another with the bath and kitchenette in the middle.  NOT fancy at all but cozy and had everything we needed.

We did do the Buffalo Bill dam.  Again the weather was rainy and WINDY but it was great to see and the kids enjoyed the museum and movie inside that were free.  That was a bigger hit than the Cody rodeo was..........and it was free.

Great to see you back!  We are heading in the same direction in a couple of weeks.

Your #1 point is a great idea!  I will have to keep that in mind.

I'd love to hear what you liked and didn't like in Cody, Jackson, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and South Dakota.  I can't remember if you hit all of those places.  We are doing all of those plus North Dakota!

We did pretty good with packing.  We did not need the winter coats and gloves I packed but it was close as we did drive through snow in the mountains.  I over packed a bit but not too much.  Hiking boots weren't really needed for what we did but a 2nd pair of comfortable shoes is great if one gets wet/muddy, etc.  We did have weather from snow to 93 and humid in the 2 week span so a bit of everything was needed.

We brought laundry soap in zip lock baggies and that was nice and saved money.  Bring quarters for the washing machines and dryers.

What we did:

South Dakota

Sioux Falls.  That was our first stop of the trip and we visited the falls for about an hour in the evening.  It was a nice free stop and the kids loved climbing around and watching the ducks with their babies.  Overall a nice park but with the recent spring melt the water had some junk in it.

Bad Lands----likely one of my tops for the trip.  Just inside the 240 loop from the east (not the Wall , SD side) there are 3 trails off the parking area to walk.  Very nice and quite easy.  The favorite was the trail that ends but then has 9 red poles marking a path you can keep walking another 800 yards.  We all enjoyed that.  The visitor center was nice and we saw a lot of buffalo towards the west side, some very close to the car.  Some look outs did not have guard rails and have big drop offs so watch younger kids and those with fears of heights.

Mt Rushmore---tried this, drove up there only to find out it was fogged over and we couldn't see.  Ask before you pay for parking.

Stayed at Shady Rest in Custer which was nice and homey but not fancy---just clean older cabins.

Tried the Needles loop---very twisty roads with steep areas with few guard rails.  Can't do with a trailer or motor home.  Ended up being too foggy to safely do so we turned around.

Crazy Horse.  My kids enjoyed this.  Nice museum/visitor center.  We got in free as DH is a NA tribal member and Native Americans are free.

Wildlife Loop in Custer State park.  We saw a few proghorns, a few buffalo, but not much else.  We stopped at the visitor center about 2/3 of the way through and asked about the wild burro.  They told me where they had last been seen and we went down that road and they were all waiting for us.  That was a HUGE hit.  The kids fed them carrots.  We didnt' get out of the car but learned later you can (watch little ones).  Very friendly but remember they are still animals.

More to come....have ot go horseback riding now.

More:

South Dakota

Spearfish---we went to the Booth Fish Hatchery which was free.  Very nice and the kids loved that.  They have a few buildings that are museum like, a few trails to walk and then the fish to feed.  For $2 or $3 you can get a decent size bag of fish food to feed the fish.....plenty for 3-4 kids to share or cheap enough to buy several bags.  It looked like a nice park next door as well but my kids are too old for playgrounds.

Wyoming

Gillette---we drove around as dh had a job interview.  The Hotel there had an indoor mini water park---2 slides, a lazy river, warm pool and a splash zone/kiddie area.  The Rock Pile museum was very well done and by donation.  My kids would have spent more time there but we went while dh was at his interview so we had to get back to pick him up.  Many hands on exhibits which is nice for kids.

Big Horns---we drove through these through Ten Sleep and around.  Just be aware that there are NO rest areas, places to eat, gas stations, etc. for long stretches through there so go potty and fill up on gas and food before heading out.

Cody

We stayed at the Big Bear motel.  Not fancy but a larger room and nice with kids as they have a pool, swingset, horses to see, etc. and you can walk to several things including the rodeo.

Cody Nite Rodeo----cost us $100 as our kids are all adult prices at $20/each.  Not worth it for us.  Someone said they have $5 nights and younger kids are cheaper/free.  It is 2 hours long and they have concessions.  We found some of the jokes between the announcer and rodeo clown to be a bit "adult" with comments about one teen roper having "fast hands" and "watch him around your daughter" type thing.  The events were OK but seemed like they had more filler than real rodeo competitors that night we were there.  For $50 we might do it again, for $100 we would not.

Big Cody Museum---cost $36 for dh and ds to go.  They didn't feel it was worth it but others say it is well worth it.

Old Trail Town--cost $8/each for the girls and I to go.  It was OK but again I felt overpriced.  If the kids would have been free/cheaper then it might be worth it.

Bill Cody Dam---outside of town a few miles.  This was something we found sorta last minute through Trip Advisor.  It was WELL worth the few minute drive and it was FREE.  They had a golf cart shuttle if you wanted or it is a short walk from the parking lot.  The film was very informative and interesting and they had nice exhibits.  Area to walk outside and see the dam.  They have indoor flush potties as well :-)

We did pretty good with packing. We did not need the winter coats and gloves I packed but it was close as we did drive through snow in the mountains. I over packed a bit but not too much. Hiking boots weren't really needed for what we did but a 2nd pair of comfortable shoes is great if one gets wet/muddy, etc. We did have weather from snow to 93 and humid in the 2 week span so a bit of everything was needed.

We brought laundry soap in zip lock baggies and that was nice and saved money. Bring quarters for the washing machines and dryers.

What we did:

South Dakota

Sioux Falls. That was our first stop of the trip and we visited the falls for about an hour in the evening. It was a nice free stop and the kids loved climbing around and watching the ducks with their babies. Overall a nice park but with the recent spring melt the water had some junk in it.

Bad Lands----likely one of my tops for the trip. Just inside the 240 loop from the east (not the Wall , SD side) there are 3 trails off the parking area to walk. Very nice and quite easy. The favorite was the trail that ends but then has 9 red poles marking a path you can keep walking another 800 yards. We all enjoyed that. The visitor center was nice and we saw a lot of buffalo towards the west side, some very close to the car. Some look outs did not have guard rails and have big drop offs so watch younger kids and those with fears of heights.

Mt Rushmore---tried this, drove up there only to find out it was fogged over and we couldn't see. Ask before you pay for parking.

Stayed at Shady Rest in Custer which was nice and homey but not fancy---just clean older cabins.

Tried the Needles loop---very twisty roads with steep areas with few guard rails. Can't do with a trailer or motor home. Ended up being too foggy to safely do so we turned around.

Crazy Horse. My kids enjoyed this. Nice museum/visitor center. We got in free as DH is a NA tribal member and Native Americans are free.

Wildlife Loop in Custer State park. We saw a few proghorns, a few buffalo, but not much else. We stopped at the visitor center about 2/3 of the way through and asked about the wild burro. They told me where they had last been seen and we went down that road and they were all waiting for us. That was a HUGE hit. The kids fed them carrots. We didnt' get out of the car but learned later you can (watch little ones). Very friendly but remember they are still animals.

More to come....have ot go horseback riding now.

Thanks for this! We're planning a trip to South Dakota in August. Sounds like there is plenty to do.

From Cody we went into Yellowstone.

Be prepared in Yellowstone (and other areas out there) with GOOD brakes and the knowledge of how/when to downshift the car as some areas have steep grades with sharp turns and few guardrails.

Yellowstone was beautiful.  We saw lots of buffalo---including one that walked up to our car so close my daughter could have reached out of her window and touched it.  We saw a mountain goat, some prairie dogs and lots of buffalo.  We did see one grizzly eating in a stream from a distance.  We enjoyed the walks by the geysers and the kids liked Old Faithful.  We didnt' do any off the main paths hiking, etc.

We then spent the night in Gardiner, MT and did the west side of Yellowstone the next day.

Opps---I forgot that after Spearfish, SD we went to Devil's Tower.  That was neat as well.  We did the hike around the tower.  It is only just over a mile but has some rolling climbs and for us it was getting used to the elevation so we took it at a nice easy stroll.  The kids enjoyed the prairie dog town there as well.

After Yellowstone we drove through the Grand Tetons to Jackson, WY.  The Tetons were beautiful and the drive was a lot easier than Yellowstone.  In Jackson we did the touristy stagecoach ride pulled by mules.  It was $6/person for about 10-15 minute ride through town but the kids loved it.  2 of them sat outside/up top with the driver while dh and I and the other sat inside.  The next day we drove to Teton Village to the big ski resort.  Dh and Ds paid $30 each for the tram ride to the top--over 10,000 feet in the air.  They loved it and hiked around up there for a while---in the snow in spots.  The girls and I browsed the resort, looked at the horse rides (but ride times didn't fit our schedule).  We all had lunch on the deck at the Cowboy café.  It was reasonably priced (esp. for a resort) and anyone could order off the kids menu.  The views were great.

From there the next day we drove over Teton Pass (steep again) where it was SNOWING.  We saw 4 bucks in the road and a moose on the way through.  We went to Harriman State Park in Island Park, Idaho.  It seemed like a very nice state park with lots of hiking trails.  There the girls and I rode the horses on a 1 hour trail ride ($35/each) while the guys did their thing.  The girls loved it and liked their horses.  Mine was fine but I like my own horse better :-)  The guide was super nice and it was just the 3 of us and him on the ride.  We saw a mamma moose and newborn calf quite close and then 2 other moose in another area.  The trail was nice and easy.......one I wish we could take our own horses one.

We stayed at Eagle Ridge Ranch just a few miles away.  We had a very nice little cabin.  It was designed for 4 but they let us have 1 on the floor.  It had a bedroom with a queen bed and then a living area with a pull out couch, a bath and a small kitchenette.  They have free catch and release fishing (my son caught 5 nice size trout), paddle boats, row boats, canoes, etc. all for your use.  They have horses there and offer trail rides as well.  Wranglers were nice and let my girls help out with feeding the horses, and talked to them even though we didnt' pay for a trail ride here.

The next morning we headed to Montana.  There we visited friends and took a hike. We had lunch at Buffalo Bump in Four Corners, MT (just outside of Bozeman).  It was a neat pizza/sub place with reasonable prices and great food.

By then we were tired and decided to head for home.  We ended up driving through that terrible storm that spawned deadly tornadoes so that added to the excitement.

3.  Be OK with splurging on a few things (if you can afford it).  We did the Cody WY rodeo (honestly NOT worth it for us) but then dh and ds paid $30 each to ride the tram 10.000 feet up to the top of the mountain at Jackson Hole Mountain resort and they LOVED it.  The girls and I each paid $35 for a 1 hour trail ride in Idaho in a mountain meadow where we saw a moose cow with a newborn calf and a few more moose.

I'm sorry, but the plural of 'moose' is 'meeses.' You're gonna wanna edit that.