Menu

Speaking of long car rides - audio book suggestions

lewber

We will be travelling by car about 24 hours in the next week. Just me and DS 12. Any ideas for things to listen to? No Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. Funny would be a fantastic bonus, but anything captivating read well would be great. 

Thanks!

Bud, Not Buddy and The Watsons Go to Birmingham--both by Christopher Paul Curtis--are well done and we all enjoyed listening.

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman is short--only an hour--but quite fun.

Carl Hiaasen's YA books: Hoot, Scat, Flush, Chomp.

This is counterintuitive, but last year we listened to Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and my kids were completely enthralled. She was crazy! I looked so awesome next to her! Seriously, my then 14yo DS really liked it and we still quote it. Depends on your kids' personalities, though.

How to Train Your Dragon books 1-10 read by David Tennant 

Enjoyed by everyone aged 6-60. 

I would have to say that it could be enjoyed by those younger and older by I did not discover this gem until DS was 6 and my father is only 60. My 90 year old grandmother is deaf so cannot provide feedback. 

I am not kidding. These are probably the best audio books ever. I tend to fall asleep while listening to audio books in the car after dark. Not these! I just got number 9 and 10 yesterday and I am tempted to throw DS into the car and go on a road trip. 

Terry Pratchett books.  They are funny.  He's written numerous books, some are YA, others adult.  The adult aren't bad, just some innuendo and some bad words (he's British, and they have a different take then we do on the use of some words). But they are a ton of fun.  We've listened to Making Money, Going Postal, and Unseen Academicals.  

This is counterintuitive, but last year we listened to Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and my kids were completely enthralled. She was crazy! I looked so awesome next to her! Seriously, my then 14yo DS really liked it and we still quote it. Depends on your kids' personalities, though.

I read this a few years ago and read parts to my son. We enjoyed it too for various reasons.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I am going to try the Hitchhikers Guide, because I've always wanted to read that! It's one of those books that come up in discussions that I truly have no idea about. Also might try the Lemony Snickets as those were things I wanted him to read too. Great ideas!