Menu

Literary Analysis?

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines, by Thomas C. Foster. Excellent!

There's also a version for kids, but for yourself you probably want the adult one.

[ed. to provide more complete title and author.]

World Book Encyclopedia lists literature as an art form. I teach literature analysis like I do picture studies, not like I do reading and writing. So by most people's standards I do a pretty negligent job at it. I'm almost comfortable with what I do, but there is always this niggling doubt that sends me every couple years into a panic and fresh study of lit analysis.

Good luck! :grouphug:

Here are my top 3 suggestions:

1) Deconstructing Penguins http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Penguins-Parents-Kids-Reading/dp/0812970284

2) SWB's lit analysis talk

3) How to Read Lit book referenced above - even just read the kids one! It's pretty good.  I wouldn't have a kid work through it before 6th grade, but I read the adult one, then the kid one, and the kid one had most of the same info, just with the sex bits toned down.

I just saw Adam Andrews speak at the Great Homeschool Convention last weekend and one of his talks was about how to analyze literature. He made it seem so simple and straightforward that I went to every one of his sessions (he's such a dynamic and personable speaker,) bought copies of the recordings, and bought one of his teaching guides, Analyzing Worldview. I highly recommend him. He works with IEW, if that makes any difference. Center for Literary Education: http://centerforlit.com/

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines, by Thomas C. Foster. Excellent!

There's also a version for kids, but for yourself you probably want the adult one.

[ed. to provide more complete title and author.]

I just bought this and plan to read it this summer.

World Book Encyclopedia lists literature as an art form. I teach literature analysis like I do picture studies, not like I do reading and writing. So by most people's standards I do a pretty negligent job at it. I'm almost comfortable with what I do, but there is always this niggling doubt that sends me every couple years into a panic and fresh study of lit analysis.

Good luck! :grouphug:

Hmm, I really like that idea - approaching it like picture study :)

I do not want to ruin the idea of reading a book, by 'making' the kiddo's write about everything we read. But I do want to discuss with them...

Thanks Hunter :)

Here are my top 3 suggestions:

1) Deconstructing Penguins http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Penguins-Parents-Kids-Reading/dp/0812970284

2) SWB's lit analysis talk

3) How to Read Lit book referenced above - even just read the kids one! It's pretty good.  I wouldn't have a kid work through it before 6th grade, but I read the adult one, then the kid one, and the kid one had most of the same info, just with the sex bits toned down.

Thanks. I have ordered 'Penguins' & have downloaded the talk

I just saw Adam Andrews speak at the Great Homeschool Convention last weekend and one of his talks was about how to analyze literature. He made it seem so simple and straightforward that I went to every one of his sessions (he's such a dynamic and personable speaker,) bought copies of the recordings, and bought one of his teaching guides, Analyzing Worldview. I highly recommend him. He works with IEW, if that makes any difference. Center for Literary Education: http://centerforlit.com/

Thank you

There are some free audios on the site here which i have downloaded & shall be listening to soon