Menu

Do I have to start spelling in 1st grade?

elah

I'm thinking about waiting to start spelling until 2nd grade. I'm a little worried about the class load for my 1st grader.  We are pulling her out of the brick and mortar school b/c the K program (using the common core curriculum) was not a good fit for her. The year was extremely rough on her and I feel like she needs an easier year to re-coop. BUT I don't want her to fall behind either. So here is what I am thinking about doing for next year. 

ELA

FLL

WWE

HOP

Math

Saxon 2

History

SOTW

Religion

Faith and Life

Science 

Local Nature Center classes

PE, music and art classes too. 

So do you think that I need to add a spelling program or would we be okay without it? Do you see any other gaps?

Thanks!

No.

Your dc is too young to do much falling behind. :-)

Personally, I would not do FLL or WWE if you think she still needs phonics instruction. I'd do something other than HOP, such as Spalding or one of its spin-offs/look-alikes, and add FLL or WWE after she's reading and writing fluently.

I've read all the dictation pros, but it was a huge bust here. Talk about sucking the joy out of learning.   And at that age, I'm really focusing on phonics, spelling, and math.  These are fairly teacher intensive at that age.  Also, grammar can wait until 3rd here.  They have years of grammar ahead of them; there's no need to rush.

i don't start spelling until phonics is complete. in my oldest's case, that was 3rd grade

:iagree:

We don't start Rod and Staff Spelling until 3rd, but ETC has phonics, handwriting, and basic spelling incorporated.  I personally think writing helps reinforce phonics, but if we just did OPGTTR or PP, I'd still wait until 3rd to start spelling.  My boys are great spellers, so I don't think waiting hurt them and was probably actually beneficial. :)

LOL, let me be the voice of dissent...

I really really like AAS1 for an early reader.  I found it to be an asset to our reading instruction...it wasn't so much about the spelling, but more laying the groundwork for spelling and, in hand, better reading instruction as well.  

I don't agree.  All about spelling made my son a reader.  I think any phonic rule based spelling program really reinforces reading, chunking and digraphs.   There are a lot of subjects I would drop before dropping spelling for a first grader learning to read. 

But it looks like you are planning on using Hooked on Phonics and if that is the case it might work for spelling.  

Well no, you don't have to. She's not going to explode.

I didn't do spelling with my daughter until second, and really didn't find a good spelling fit until spring of her second grade year. She was reading fluently at about Christmas of her first grade year, so we had a big gap there.

There is a minority opinion that spelling is useful to reinforce phonics, but I think the more common view is that most phonics programs include an awful lot of phonics already.

I wouldn't recommend separate phonics and spelling at that age, but if you used a learning to read through spelling, that would be useful. But no, she doesn't need to be spending 30 minutes on phonics for reading and then another 30 minutes on spelling, kwim?

My middle son was a first grader last year. He did R&S Phonics and Reading. It has writing involved, so he was learning some spelling, but we didn't do a separate spelling program. This year, we'll be using a learn to read through spelling program, so we'll kill two birds with one stone.

Are you using the new HOP our old HOP? I seem to recall hearing that the old HOP was more phonics based, bit the newer has more sight words. If she's struggling in reading the way public school taught it, I'd be going toward a more phonics based program.

I also agree with others that you don't need FLL/WWE if she's not reading well yet, though if she likes them, you can keep them in. FLL1 takes about 5 minutes to do a lesson. Just don't be afraid to skip something if it's too repetitive. The poetry memorization is great. My then-4 year old memorized the caterpillar poem when I didn't realize he was even in the room during lessons. :D WWE can be difficult, though my kids have all liked it. The copywork was above my first grader's reading ability last year, so I dropped it and focused on reading. That paid off. This year, we'll be spelling to read, which in turn will help writing. He'll start grammar in 3rd.

How's her reading?

I think it depends on the phonics program you r teaching. I don't know anything about hop. But I think spelling and learning how to read go hand and hand. I also think it depends on what spelling program. Spelling workout (I think that is what it is called) didn't work for my son and I don't think that one is needed with a phonics program. So u could probably start that one next year. However, we r using AAR and AAS and they reinforce each other.

I see that u r getting different answers. Why not look into spelling programs and see if it's what u want. IMO reading is crucial, so if spelling is going to help then I'm going to teach it.

HTH

Good luck.

I agree with others. Technically no you don't need to add a spelling program. However, I fall into the camp that approaches reading/spelling and handwriting/writing as integrated subjects. My K-1st graders learn to spell at the same time they are learning to read. As they begin to read well and have no need of the phonics program, spelling takes the priority place.

Also I agree about delaying WWE1. I dropped it part way through this past year, because my ds needed work on phonics/spelling. The WWE copywork was sort of pointless if he couldn't read the passage well. 

FLL is gentle enough that it isn't going to be a problem to do with a 1st grader.

I'm thinking about waiting to start spelling until 2nd grade. I'm a little worried about the class load for my 1st grader. We are pulling her out of the brick and mortar school b/c the K program (using the common core curriculum) was not a good fit for her. The year was extremely rough on her and I feel like she needs an easier year to re-coop. BUT I don't want her to fall behind either. So here is what I am thinking about doing for next year.

ELA

FLL

WWE

HOP

Math

Saxon 2

History

SOTW

Religion

Faith and Life

Science

Local Nature Center classes

PE, music and art classes too.

So do you think that I need to add a spelling program or would we be okay without it? Do you see any other gaps?

Thanks!

Having not read other posts, add in lots of fun lit read alouds of your choice and fun library books to read at leisure and it looks like you'll have a great year. And field trips as able. I started a gentle spelling intro midway through ds's 2nd grade year. He'll still be midway through the 2nd grade year of a vintage program when he starts 3rd grade in August, but I am glad I waited and have resisted the urge to consider him behind. Also, I read but haven't researched thoroughly for myself, that kids can memorize spelling lists at young ages and get the spelling right when tested, but those same kids tend to misspell those same words when writing sentences later on.

Edited after reading other posts: HOP was cumbersome for me which I tried a couple of months then dropped when ds came home from school after ps K. However, it might work for you. I haven't seen AAS, but understand it teaches phonics and spelling together, so that might be less stressful than just HOP. If you take the more experienced advice of the above posts, maybe just do phonics the first semester and add in FLL, WWE, or AAS the 2nd semester if desired and if reading is more solid through your chosen phonics program then.

Nope!   ; P Your homeschool, your rules, LOL!

The only spelling I am doing with my DD, 1st grade, is what she is getting regularly in Explode the Code and sporadically in AAS Level 1. I LOVE AAS for teaching spelling but while DS (rising 5th) also loved it, DD not so much at least right now. When she is older that is the program I will try to use, though.

I focus on phonics/reading, read alouds of good literature, mathematics and handwriting in the early primary years—formal spelling, composition and grammar wait around here.  Content subjects are fun and done but not at the expense of focusing on the "big" four.

Just to add, too, that WWE was deadly for my DS in 1st grade. The dictation and very directed narration sucked all joy out of learning.

I just wanted to add that you don't HAVE to do AAS1 as a spelling program per se.  We didn't start using AAS for actual spelling tests until 2nd grade (1st grade for DS, but he's accelerated).  

With AAS1, we covered more of the WHYs of reading.  So we learned, for example, that C says its soft sound when followed by e, i, or y.  So this helped with reading.  We learned that a vowel in an open syllable is long...so this helped with reading.  

We were using HOP, but I found it most beneficial in the first two levels and after that, it really dropped off.  We used Progressive Phonics and Spectrum Phonics for review (as well as ETC, which we JUST finished up a couple of weeks ago).  AAS1 really cemented everything together for us.  

Just my own .02...but I wanted to clarify because I got the impression that folks are thinking of spelling instruction as, "Here's your spelling list, study the words and we'll test on Friday."  We do actually do that, but did not start spelling tests until the last quarter of 1st grade.  

I really liked doing AAS for spelling to reinforce reading...to add a kinesthetic component to put what we were learning into practice, so that phonics wasn't all receptive/passive.  But I agree with the above poster...definitely don't treat it like a list to memorize, just an activity to have fun building words.  (AAS has manipulatives.)

FLL is very gentle.  You could skip it if you need your day to be shorter, but it's not terribly stressful for a non-reader since it's all oral.  It does have some narration in it, so listening and summarizing skills are touched on.  That I find helpful.

WWE...we love it, but it's frustrating for an early reader/writer.  We did it younger than I wanted to due to state regs, and I basically modified it so that my youngest kids were mostly copying words that worked on the same letters they were learning for handwriting or phonics.  This is the one I'd postpone until you get further along in phonics, esp. if you keep FLL and get a little narration there.  And if you were to do AAS for spelling, there is a teeny bit of dictation there...all words they have already been taught to spell...which makes the most sense to me.

Yeah, I love AAS as a hands on spelling program that reinforces reading. I never even used it as a spelling test type of program for DS and his spelling (and reading) were (are) excellent for his age. DS  enjoyed working with the tiles and really everything about it and this was from a kid who didn't like much about anything academic, lol!

LOL, let me be the voice of dissent...

I really really like AAS1 for an early reader.  I found it to be an asset to our reading instruction...it wasn't so much about the spelling, but more laying the groundwork for spelling and, in hand, better reading instruction as well.  

I have to agree with this. I saw great progress in my daughter's reading after just one month of AAS1. I'm getting ready to start it with my 6yo DS.

I have a dd in first grade and I'm doing absolutely no grammar or spelling. I'm only focusing on the basics of phonics, math and writing(working on correct letter formation, copy work, etc...). I just don't see the need when they are still in the learning to read stages.

You definitely don't HAVE to.  Your homeschool, your rules!  That said, I used AAS 1 and now into 2 this year with my first grader (our first year homeschooling ) and I thought it was great not just for learning spelling but for doing basic dictation, handwriting, and reading reminders.  It is very phonetically based and so I loved having learned something in reading (double letters at the end of a word or segmenting) and then running into it during our spelling time.  We don't do spelling daily and some weeks are better than others, but it really has been a great part of our homeschool year.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I think that there are about 20 different ways of doing spelling/ELA just in this one thread!  I have jotted down some notes and will have to look at things again. I had checked out AAS 1, but thought that it might eat up to much time (I have 3 other kids). But maybe if it has enough phonics in it I could use it as a two for one which would make the extra time a little bit easier to justify.  

My daughter is already reading at a mid to late year first grade level, but hates writing with a passion. Not really crazy about reading either but she is good at it. Spelling tests would not go over well with her but if we looked at something that was not writing based for spelling that might go over better. I also like the idea of combining things a lot. Lots to think about now...

I start spelling when the child is reading without having to sound out every word.  That way, they're seeing all those beginning words regularly and have developed a visual memory with them.  It's a lot to think about with spelling - sounding out the word, writing it down, trying to remember all those phonics rules...We use All About Spelling here and if they're reading well by the time they start, they tend to zip through it faster without too much frustration.

Beth

The curriculum I use incorporates spelling.It isn't a must but I would encourage using something that combines both phonics and spelling.I just started AAS.My dc are in 2nd grade.We are using Te and whiteboard.Lessons are so short and we are flying through it.I guess it is personal preference but if you could do AAS and keep it really light your child wouldn't be overwelmed.I also just started doing hs in 3 short sessions.My dc are loving the breaks in between.Taking breaks might help.