Menu

Question about a name

momto10blessings

I have a daughter named Emily and I've had 2 comments recently asking me what I was going to call her when she gets older. These people were implying that Emily is not an adult name. Then I started thinking "gosh, I've never met an adult named Emily"...

Please assure me that there are adults named Emily. I know it doesn't actually matter, but I'm a pregnant hormonal mess and can't stop thinking about it.

I'm 35. When I was a child,I knew a girl a couple of years older than me whose given name was Emily. I don't know where she is now, but wherever she is, she's an adult named Emily.

What does this person think happens to all the little girls named Emily? They start going by their middle names? It's not like it's a nickname for anything ...

I have a daughter named Emily and I've had 2 comments recently asking me what I was going to call her when she gets older. These people were implying that Emily is not an adult name. Then I started thinking "gosh, I've never met an adult named Emily"...

Please assure me that there are adults named Emily. I know it doesn't actually matter, but I'm a pregnant hormonal mess and can't stop thinking about it.

I'm 36, and there were so many Emilys in my grade that they all had to use last initials. When your dd is an adult, there will be a massive number of grandmothers named Emily. No need to worry.

I'm 36, and there were so many Emilys in my grade that they all had to use last initials. When your dd is an adult, there will be a massive number of grandmothers named Emily. No need to worry.

This is what I was thinking.  I don't know adults named Jayden or Mackenzie, but eventually there will be plenty.

People likely were saying that because there are various nicknames for Emily. Em, Emma, Emmie. So are you sure that's what they were implying? Everyone asked me what I was going to call my son I names Percival. This was because they assumed I'd give him a nickname and it could be percy , Perry, perce, someone even mentioned Val.

Also, my name is Emily, I only go by Em. But I'm the only adult Emily I know that doesn't go by Emily.

My great aunt was named Emily. She passed away this year in her 90s. I know tons of little girls and adults named Emily. It's not like you picked something that's clearly a diminutive nickname like Honey or Sweetie. The people you are talking to are weird or just talking to make conversation.

I always think of "McKenzie" as a child's name.  I was absolutely shocked to meet a "McKenzie" that was an adult. 

True story :D

Maybe when your daughter grows up, she will be the first adult Emily they meet :)  Yay for you!

They are probably truly thinking that it is a nickname.  I've known an Emilia (pronounced similar to Amelia), and Emmeline who both went by Emily.  

That said, I've always thought of Emily as a complete name.

Auntie Em! :-)

Seriously, Emily was very popular in the 1800s. It fell out of fashion and then became very popular again. In fact, when my youth leader had an Emily in the early 80s I thought it was such and old lady name. LOL Now I love it.

People should MTOB about other folks' name choices.

Thanks all. I know it's silly to be bothered by their comments. Emily is a very popular name and an older name too, so I'm not sure why 2 people made the same comments to me in such a short time. I'm very sensitive about names since I grew up hating my name and eventually had it legally changed.