Menu

Curriculum aligned with Common Core

caitlinsmom

All sorts of programs are Common Core aligned. Some are excellent programs and others are mediocre ones. I would worry about the quality of the program, not whether it is or isn't CC aligned.

:iagree: Many of these programs are not financially in bed with the promoters of Common Core, but know that, in order to survive in this world, they have to note that they are aligned.  That doesn't mean to follow every standard, just that they have identified where they do align with the standards. 

Our awesome math program was recently revised to align with Common Core, and having seen and used both versions, I can without doubt say it's a better program as a result.  

I wouldn't assume Common Core alignment indicates quality, or the reverse either, but I'm open to checking things out.

Amy

For those of you against Common Core:

A friend posted this link of facebook for those who are concerned with Common Core.   There is a pdf list of all curriculum providers and how/if they are affiliated with Common Core. 

(Hopefully this hasn't been shared already)

What I'm about to say is not directed toward you, exactly. I'm sure you are just trying to be helpful. But I want to say this for the general audience:

I am against CC, 100%, but those lists aren't useful. Anybody who would exclude Maria Miller from the "acceptable" list just because she moved a few things around in order for Math Mammoth to still be used in school is not thinking critically. Ditto for the many curricula providers and publishers who changed nary a word but allowed the CC label upon noticing that they not only met but exceeded the standards with their original product!

This may be too political, and if so, I apologize to the Moderator, but I also want to add that when the lists were being compiled more than one vendor complained about the tone of McCarthyism in the inquiry. :/ They were asked for a "yes, I align," or "no, I don't" with that simple answer holding the potential to get them blackballed in the homeschooling community!

This is not critical thinking. This is not a respectable use of reason and logic. It's not much more than a witch hunt that can even affect people's livelihoods and it reflects very badly on the homeschooling community.

If you want to know whether materials are aligned to CC and why or how, contact the person yourself and let them give their answer.

Our awesome math program was recently revised to align with Common Core, and having seen and used both versions, I can without doubt say it's a better program as a result.  

Well, now you have to share about this awesome math program, you know!  LOL

What Tibbie said x1000.

I belong to another group that is having a mass hysteria problem over CC. Any day I expect them to start calling it "The Standards Which Must Not Be Named".

As for me and my household, we will continue with Math Mammoth. I don't even know what else we use that is CC aligned and I don't care!

LOL, Math Mammoth!  It was an admittedly ridiculous attempt not to name names.  :)

I don't think the revision was simply moving a few things around to align with CC.  Maria reexamined, revised and upgraded the quality of the whole Light Blue Series.  

Amy

Yes.  In agreement with Tibbie.   You must judge a curriculum on its own merits, not whether its claims to be aligned to CC.  I use MUS, and it really hasn't changed except to add one supplemental page at the end of each chapter to add more story problems.  It's still the same program, but now can claim to be aligned to CC.  Doesn't alter the value of the original program.

CC is just a list of standards.  There is nothing inherently evil in a list of standards.  I understand the controversy to be more related to CC being another means of teaching to the test and the possibility of data collection.  If you're using a CC aligned curriculum in your homeschool, you don't need to worry about either of those things affecting your family.

Well said to Tibbie.

It is precisely because I'm against Common Core that I wish the debate about it to be logical and informed.  I feel that the highly partisan rhetoric about it and some of the conspiracy theories are making it harder for people to unite against it.

Well said to Tibbie.e

It is precisely because I'm against Common Core that I wish the debate about it to be logical and informed. I feel that the highly partisan rhetoric about it and some of the conspiracy theories are making it harder for people to unite against it.

It's funny how one title can make some rather eat live worms than be caught with that label!

What Tibbie said x1000.

I belong to another group thate is having a mass hysteria problem over CC. Any day I expect them to start calling it "The Standards Which Must Not Be Named".

As for me and my household, we will continue with Math Mammoth. I don't even know what else we use that is CC aligned and I don't care!

I hear you! We have the same here in Oz, National Curriculum, and I don't give a rat's razoo if the curriculum we are using is aligned with the NC, or not. Which, I don't believe would be since I buy it from you guys :-D

But then again, it just might, as it could be that the countries are aligning themselves with a world curriculum anyway.

Okay, call me a CT. I do live in the same place that Mel G was raised. :-D

:iagree: Many of these programs are not financially in bed with the promoters of Common Core, but know that, in order to survive in this world, they have to note that they are aligned.  That doesn't mean to follow every standard, just that they have identified where they do align with the standards. 

I don't like Common Core, and I don't think that most of the curriculum companies do either.  But they want to stay in business.  Many are dependent on both the homeschool and private school market.

The ACT/SAT and most of the current standardized tests have already been changed or will be soon, so even as homeschoolers we have to be aware that our children are going to be evaluated against that standard whether we like it or not.  The folks I know at the local private schools are actively looking at their programs for that reason.  Not because they like Common Core, but because they have to know that the students they are educating are going to continue to test well.

My older one won't be affected because the SAT hasn't changed yet, but my younger one will.  And I'm actively working toward that, figuring that the test prep will be different.

What Tibbie said x1000.

I belong to another group that is having a mass hysteria problem over CC. Any day I expect them to start calling it "The Standards Which Must Not Be Named".

Hmmm... I wonder if we're both on the same group... Just this morning I explained in that group - again - just what being Common Core aligned means.  It's getting tiresome, because CC is definitely a dirty word in some circles.

Hmmm... I wonder if we're both on the same group... Just this morning I explained in that group - again - just what being Common Core aligned means.  It's getting tiresome, because CC is definitely a dirty word in some circles.

Yes, I went to an open house for a local private school (not for mine, future work for me).  And one parent left the presentation suddenly in a huff when she found out that they were using curriculum from BJUP (who didn't change anything, but match or exceed Common Core) and IEW (no changes but match or exceed).  They also use RightStart which is in the process of revising, but hasn't changed much at all from what I've been told.  The presenter said that their goal is pick the best curriculum, and that Common Core isn't a concern for them at this point.  That got the reaction.