Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW21

Robin M

Hello, friends! Lots of airplane reading this week - unfortunately, most of it was reading aloud ghastly Enid Blyton stories about pixies and brownies and tiny houses with legs and precious children named things like Tom and Susie - followed by little reading time at all. But we got more settled, and I decided for a few weeks to set myself a When in Rome* challenge, and to that end have read James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, which let me tell you was one strange book. Among other strangenesses, it features in a pivotal scene the atmospheric phenomenon called a "Brocken spectre," regarding which I refer the interested to Wikipedia, occurring in a place we expect to soon visit.**

Next books in my personal challenge: The Cone-Gatherers, by Robin Jenkins (recommended by our local librarian), and a collection of R. L. Stevenson's stories.

Now, to read the thread I've been neglecting!

*not actually in Rome

**still not Rome

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to bookish stuff...  I finished two books and a graphic novel this week.  

First I read the Classics Illustrated Macbeth, basically a graphic novel.  I picked it up at the thrift store a few months back when I saw that we would cover Macbeth in our Mystery of History II book.  Dd hasn't read any graphic novels so I though this might be an interesting pick.  I had to find the flow as I hadn't read many Comic books.  I liked that the story used Shakespeare's own words (or at least most of them...it's been two years since I read Macbeth and I don't have a photographic memory).  I also thought they got the flow right and the important parts.  The essay at the end of the book, though, what a bunch of hogwash!  It was about 18 pages of crap.   :rant:  Ok, I put the rant smiley so you'd be warned!  Seriously, some of the drivel this woman was spouting was irritating. The worst part is that a kid who reads the novel and who may read the notes will have a skewed view of Shakespeare and Macbeth.  Let kids draw their own conclusions, believe me they can get there without help from the "educated minds" that write the introductions and other drivel *cough* aka notes in these books.  One teacher with enthusiasm and a will to let the child find his or her way amongst the characters will have more than enough discussion.  Even the discussion questions at the end were a bunch of political correct crap! Telling kids that Lady Macbeth can be compared to Eve from the Bible, really?!  Inserting a comment like "Macbeth is a product of a culture that values butchery, that equates manhood with the ability to kill"  what kind of nonsense is that!  She obviously has an intense dislike for Macbeth (and maybe men) which shows through in the way she describes him.  I'm all for everyone having an individual experience.  She can hate Macbeth and his manhood all she wants. :tongue_smilie:   However, don't publish it in a children's book.  Save it for your college class, which I'm glad my children will never be a part of.  Ugh!  Can I give negative points to the "educated" essayist?  Having a degree just means you can spout this kind of drivel to kids who have to sit and listen to you, it certainly doesn't make you educated!   :rant:

Moving on  ;)

I finally finished Dante's Inferno.  I'm glad I read it.  I really liked the translation that I read, Ciardi's, however, with a summary at the beginning of every Canto and the footnotes at the end of every Canto it really broke up the flow for me.  By the time I got to the end, I had to think back to remember why Dante was even in Hell to begin with :rolleyes:  I think I would have rather waded my way through without any notes and just enjoyed the richness of the language.  Well, some of the richness, lol, some parts were entirely gruesome!  I thought it interesting who he had placed in the different circles of Hell.  I also found it interesting that he included so very many of his Italian contemporaries (if I was reading the notes right).  Dante had religion, history, mythology all mixed up together which was sometimes confusing.  I'm a sucker for this kind of language, though...  

"We could already hear the rumbling drive of the waterfall in its plunge to the next circle, a murmur like the throbbing of a hive"  and

"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream."

Finally, today I finished Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter by Nancy Atherton.  I picked this up at the library booksale because someone on the board liked the Aunt Dimity series.  At first I was a little confused because this isn't the first in the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!  I loved that she totally kept me guessing along with the main character.  I had no idea what was going to happen until she started revealing it in the end!  What a hoot!  I chuckled out loud more than once.  I think this is even funnier since I have already read Dracula.  I have at least one more that I picked up from the booksale and am hoping that it is just as good.  A solid 4 stars, maybe 4.5.

*1 – The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs (Isarel)

*2 – Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans (USA)

*3 – The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (Dusty, Narnia)

*4 – Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans (USA/Peru)

*5 – Soulless by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*6 – Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (England)

*7 – A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (12th Century, England/Wales,BaW rec)

*8 – Michael Vey: Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans (Peru)

*9 - Divergent by Veronica Roth (USA)

*10 - Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett (Turkey, 11th/12th Century, Dusty Book)

*11 – Austenland by Shannon Hale (England, Dusty Book)

*12 – The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*13 – Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*14 – The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*15 – Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury (England)

*16 – Imprudent Lady by Joan Smith (England, BaW rec)

*17 – Beorn the Proud by Madeleine Polland (Denmark, 9th Century)

*18 – The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan (audiobook) (USA/Italy)

*19 – The Dead in their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (England)

*20 – The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*21 – The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (USA, dusty book)

*22 – The Mysterious Marquis by Eileen Ainsworth Ramsay (England/Scotland, dusty book)

*23 – Agenda 21 by Harriet Parke and Glen Beck (USA)

*24 – Persuasion by Jane Austen  (audiobook, England, re-read)

*25 – The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (England, dusty book)

*26 – The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer (England)

*27 – Mr. Knightley’s Diary by Amanda Grange (England, dusty book)

*28 - Macbeth Graphic Novel (Scotland)

*29 - Inferno by Dante (14th century, BaW read along)

*30 - Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter by Nancy Atherton (England, dusty book, BaW rec)

Angel,

As an undergrad I took a class in Shakespeare in which we covered a play a week.  Our prof told us never read the introductory fodder preceding each play except for a worthwhile essay by Auden.  His advice has stayed with me.  ;)

Angel, now I want to pick up the Aunt Dimity books that I bought... that'll be next on my list!

Mom-ninja, my wedding dress was too big too. My mother in law made it for me and she kept yelling at me that I was losing weight. Except, I wasn't... *lol* Oh well. It was special for her and honestly, our wedding was more for everyone else than for us! We were the first to get married in both of our families and the first to add grandkids so everyone on the family gets ridiculously excited over our big life changes.

There is a famous Agatha Christie quote that my son rattled off to me:

Turns out that Christie was married to an archaeologist.  When a friend recently read They Came to Baghdad and wondered aloud if the archaeological dig was painted accurately, I told her that I suspected it was.  But her comment inspired me in part to read this Christie spy thriller.  Yeah, it is a bit dated and is unlike the usual Christie.  In fact, I would say that it has more in common with Mary Stewart:  strong willed girl, exotic location, dubious shenanigans, a romantic interest.  Light weight sort of read--a fine distraction.

Hmmm...maybe I should get caught up with HoAW.

First I will complain about the heat because it is what we do in the summer. I was ill prepared for the 90+ degree temperatures yesterday.  At least it is only 85 at the moment.

:lol:  Your son's quote put this episode of Dr. Who in my brain and I have to share.  It's a YouTube clip of The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Not sure how many fans we have here but this is one of my favourite episodes ever.   :)  We are huge fans of all the doctors not just the new ones.

:lol:  Your son's quote put this episode of Dr. Who in my brain and I have to share.  It's a YouTube clip of The Unicorn and the Wasp.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwWPAvPooA

Not sure how many fans we have here but this is one of my favourite episodes ever.   :)  We are huge fans of all the doctors not just the new ones.

No Noddy?? :eek:

Angel,

As an undergrad I took a class in Shakespeare in which we covered a play a week.  Our prof told us never read the introductory fodder preceding each play except for a worthwhile essay by Auden.  His advice has stayed with me.  ;)

A wise man.   ;)  I told my small class to do the same when we studied Shakespeare two years ago.

Angel, now I want to pick up the Aunt Dimity books that I bought... that'll be next on my list!

It was certainly fun!  Which books did you pick up?  I think the other one I have is Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwWPAvPooA

HUGE Dr. Who fans here!!  Dh is a fan of Tom Baker and his jelly babies.  He even ordered jelly babies for our Dr. Who party a couple years ago. He was very disappointed that the jelly babies were not included in the 50th Anniversary special.  Big miss that.  Me, well, I'm having a hard time getting over Matt Smith.  When we watched The Unicorn and the Wasp younger dd, who was 11 at the time, wanted to read Agatha Christie.  She was a little young  :D   She is now tackling H.G. Wells because of her obsession with Warehouse 13.  I love it that her favorite fantasy/sci fi shows inspire her reading!

We watched Noddy too but Dr.Who actually had a larger educational impact. ;)  Ds actually decided to finally learn to read so he would be able to pick out Dr. Who VHS tapes to watch.  Dh and I had one of those huge blue Rubbermaid bins full.  If he could read the back to us he got to watch it.  He spent many hours sorting his bin.

We watched Noddy too but Dr.Who actually had a larger educational impact. ;)  Ds actually decided to finally learn to read so he would be able to pick out Dr. Who VHS tapes to watch.  Dh and I had one of those huge blue Rubbermaid bins full.  If he could read the back to us he got to watch it.  He spent many hours sorting his bin.

I've never seen any Dr. Who episodes but Noddy, I grew up on in book form, that is if you're referring to Enid Blyton's Noddy and not some Whovian Noddy :lol:

Aaaaaaa! No more Blyton!

I could not get enough Blyton growing up...The Secret Seven, The Famous Five, Four for Adventure and then the other adventure series, Ship of Adventure, Castle of Adventure etc etc. They were among my most loved children's books. I imagine their scarcity enhanced their appeal. This was before the days of Amazon, AbeBooks, and the internet. Just for you, VC... :lol:

Re: postcards (Monica) -- I know I would be happy with any postcard, not just literary ones.

Guess I will have to make time to go to Margaret Mitchell's house or the Gone with the Wind Museum sometime this summer! Lol.

Yes, I'm fine with whatever sort also.

Ok,  I am a bit slow.  Rewatching the episode now.  :lol:  

I knew there was more.....

Yes,  it was that Noddy Shukriyya.  But Noddy joke within episode.  

We missed Blyton.  They were too old to like them when we moved here.  They are the Happy Meal prizes right now......pretty horrifying that I know that! :)

Enid Blyton is a marvellous example of how important it is to read books at the "right time."

Loved them as a child, find them almost insufferably loathsome now. :D

Dc thoroughly enjoys them but as I looked them over as a 'grown-up person' I felt an internal cringe rippling across my literary body. However the adult internal cringer is allowed to happily co-exist with the Blyton-loving tween. In fact they could have tea and chat together with lots of sweets for the tween and Jasmine green tea for the adult...I wonder how the discussion would go...no doubt the adult would learn a thing or two :lol:

We missed Blyton. They were too old to like them when we moved here. They are the Happy Meal prizes right now......pretty horrifying that I know that! :)

I'm on my kindle so I can't use the appropriate jaw-dropping smilies but just imagine oh, about ten of them inserted into this post :lol:

Hmm. I wonder if it is anything like me loving the Bobbsey Twins as a kid and being shocked when I tried to reread one as an adult.

Anyway, right now I am reading Girl Reading by Katie Ward, another historical fiction about art. This time it is about 7 different pictures of girls/women reading through out time.  It starts with a painting of Annunciation by Simone Martini and ends with a fictional picture in 2060. Each chapter is a different story, just like Girl in Hyacinth Blue, and the writing is at a similar level of style.

I've abandoned two books which didn't quite grab me.  If I were on a desert island and they were the only things to read, I'd finish them; however, there are all those OTHER books currently calling to me.

Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas

Regards,

Kareni

P.S. Who also needs to look up desert and dessert to make sure she's using the correct word?

A wise man.   ;)  I told my small class to do the same when we studied Shakespeare two years ago.

It was certainly fun!  Which books did you pick up?  I think the other one I have is Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree.

HUGE Dr. Who fans here!!  Dh is a fan of Tom Baker and his jelly babies.  He even ordered jelly babies for our Dr. Who party a couple years ago. He was very disappointed that the jelly babies were not included in the 50th Anniversary special.  Big miss that.  Me, well, I'm having a hard time getting over Matt Smith.  When we watched The Unicorn and the Wasp younger dd, who was 11 at the time, wanted to read Agatha Christie.  She was a little young  :D   She is now tackling H.G. Wells because of her obsession with Warehouse 13.  I love it that her favorite fantasy/sci fi shows inspire her reading!

Those shows have also had that affect on my kids.  We often listen to Agatha Christie on long car rides, and the kids even went through a Shakespeare stage thanks to Dr Who.  They've read some HG Wells, and also have looked up or read about stuff they saw on Warehouse 13.  I love that the shows have inspired the kids to read and learn more.  

I've abandoned two books which didn't quite grab me.  If I were on a desert island and they were the only things to read, I'd finish them; however, there are all those OTHER books currently calling to me.

Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas

Regards,

Kareni

P.S. Who also needs to look up desert and dessert to make sure she's using the correct word?

Of course, you might opt for the dessert island...or a portion of a floating island dessert which by the way I have never tried.  Have you?

Of course, you might opt for the dessert island...or a portion of a floating island dessert which by the way I have never tried.  Have you?

Floating island, baked Alaska, Pavlova...those are the desserts I like to call the Uranian ones :lol: They're out there, doing their own sweet dance, at odds with the rest of the moveable feast, and only occasionally making it into regular orbit :smilielol5:

I haven't.  But, if the opportunity should arise, I will!  It certainly looks enticing.

Regards,

Kareni

Good morning! Going into the long weekend, I have got Monuments Men and dean Koontz chunky psychological mystery False Memory on my plate. Now if I could just pull myself away from all the weekend's celebrity news. Admittedly a guilty pleasure that I wasted far too much time on yesterday. Rofl!

I spent the morning re-reading all our illustrated fairy tale books, mostly by Kuniko Craft and some by Ruth Sanderson and Laurel Long. Right now baseball games on the radio...laundry going...some reading lined up and I am anxiously awaiting this book which I went ahead and bought having been influenced by all the fairy tale discussions.

Like any series, The Bobbsey Twins had a few good ones, a lot of not very good ones, and a few really terrible ones. I went through a phase in junior high where I reread that stuff and passed judgement on it. BT was on par with Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames, Nurse. Trixie Belden was slightly better, IMO. 

My favorite memory of The Bobbsey Twins was trying to figure out if they lived in the '20s, '40s, '50s, or early '60s. I started to wonder if they were secret time travelers. 

Working on Hild which is a detailed historical fiction of 7th century England with lots of information about the Anglisch, Saxons, British, Irish, Roman leftovers, incoming Christianity, etc. Quite a turbulent century and not historically well known. I'm enjoying it so far, but I think I'd like it better if it wasn't tied to a known religious figure. The author is cynical about religion (at least so far) and I could sit back and be amused by the Game of Thrones political intrigue and soap opera if the main character was fictional. Instead I'm asking myself 'is that likely?' more often. ~The drawbacks of using a real person. 

The Dear Lad's journey to the UK has begun with a sad Mum on this side of the Atlantic and a young lady filled with anticipation on the other.  Before he begins work at an archaeological site, he has a few other adventures planned including a trip with his girlfriend's family to Spain.  Vicarious thrills...

I awoke at 3 AM with the realization that the Dear Lad had forgotten to tell the credit union that he was going abroad.  After writing a note to remind him, I found that a return to sleep was not going to happen quickly.  So I turned on my Itty Bitty Light and continued reading Wide Sargasso Sea in bed.

First, on the title itself.  Sargassum is an annoyance to those who come to the beach for a vacation and find that a storm has washed up a bed of this seaweed.  We have learned to poke about in it, sometimes discovering odd little creatures including shrimp and crabs that spend their lives floating about in the Sargasso Sea.  Baby sea turtles, it is speculated, spend years there doing whatever baby Loggerheads, Kemp's Ridleys and Leatherbacks do.  The seaweed may not be aesthetically pleasing to the uninitiated. The smell after a day or two is not particularly pleasant for anyone which often leads tourists to ask why isn't this stuff raked up and removed.  For one thing, the heavy equipment needed to move sargassum off a long beach strand also creates ruts that disturb nesting sea turtles.  Further, sargassum was brought in by a natural process and enhances the beach in the long run.  It is nutritionally rich material for beach plants and a source of snacks for gulls and ghost crabs in the hidden bounty.  The real world isn't Disneyland!

In Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys gives her take on the background story to Jane Eyre.  I am finding it to be fascinating but have not yet finished reading the novel.  So I will reserve those comments for later.

But I will say that a reference in the book to a painting of The Miller's Daughter led me on a rabbit trail around 3:30 AM this morning.  There is a Tennyson poem of the same title, a poem given a nod by artist Arthur Hughes in April Love:

Friend Shukriyya may be interested in the ArtMagick website where I was led.

Friend Shukriyya may be interested in the ArtMagick website where I was led.

Friend Shukriyya was indeed interested and has just returned from a little detour there bringing back this lovely souvenir of Rapunzel in keeping with my fairytale theme...

Sending :grouphug:  and virtual tea and chocolate your way as you navigate 'the Dear Lad's' journeys ever onwards.

Sending :grouphug:  and virtual tea and chocolate your way as you navigate 'the Dear Lad's' journeys ever onwards.

I just washed some cares away in the Atlantic--73 degree water temperature.  Lovely!  While I was showering off the salt and sand, my husband poured a glass of his homebrewed permisson ale for me.

Here is another glimpse of my coastal life. This Kemp's Ridley was rescued yesterday.  It is a "teenager"--carapace measuring fifteen inches--which unfortunately swallowed a fishing lure.  Volunteers delivered it to a turtle rehab hospital.

14257414001_eb1f31a8bb.jpg

http://www.japancrafts.co.uk/uploads/3/6/0/7/360764/s742281843915882896_p218_i1_w803.jpeg

I finally started my hand quilting project.  When I get done I will hopefully have a pink and blue bag that looks like the picture!  I have 2 hexagon s done so far.

Jane :grouphug:  I had wondered if your Ds would arrive here in time for bank holiday.  I hope his weather is nicer then ours.  Downpours mixed with Sun,  I never know what to expect.  My poor laundry!  

http://www.japancrafts.co.uk/uploads/3/6/0/7/360764/s742281843915882896_p218_i1_w803.jpeg

I finally started my hand quilting project.  When I get done I will hopefully have a pink and blue bag that looks like the picture!  I have 2 hexagon s done so far.

Jane :grouphug:  I had wondered if your Ds would arrive here in time for bank holiday.  I hope his weather is nicer then ours.  Downpours mixed with Sun,  I never know what to expect.  My poor laundry!  

Your project will be gorgeous!  I need to start crafting again.  While I have been carrying my knitting bag hither and yon, nary a stitch has been made .

I had forgotten about your bank holiday which seems to coincide with our Memorial Day.  I think that explains some of the plans made by the mother of his girlfriend.

While I am already missing the Lad terribly, he is doing precisely what he needs to be doing.  I need to keep reminding myself of that!

Do post when you finish! I love the bag in the picture.

Can I still post here if I've never heard of Blyton or read the Bobbsey Twins? (I have heard of those books, though!) My mom had a couple Nancy Drew books on the shelf and I did read those. :o

Love all the art that has been posted in this thread!

While I am already missing the Lad terribly, he is doing precisely what he needs to be doing.  I need to keep reminding myself of that!

Sending your fledgling off to start his adult life calls for both  :cheers2: and  :grouphug:.   Cheers for the job well done in raising him and launching him into a wonderful life, and hugs for that empty nest and having him living on the other side of the ocean.  I imagine those knitting needles will be getting a workout, as he will still be needing warm socks!

Can I still post here if I've never heard of Blyton or read the Bobbsey Twins? (I have heard of those books, though!) My mom had a couple Nancy Drew books on the shelf and I did read those. :o

We'll do the walk of shame together as I am one who has not read either, either but have heard of them. 

I can't resist telling those who have never read The Bobbsey Twins that they are available on the kindle for free.  They are OK,  more of a Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, and Trixie Beldon fan myself.

Mumto2, that looks like a fun project, and yes, do post pics when you're done.

Like you, Jane, I've got a knitting project that I've been carrying diligently around with me everywhere I go, a shawl that I started months ago. It's about 1/3 done and I can't find any yen in my fingers for the needles right now so it sits in my basket and patiently accompanies me on my various forays into the world, loyal creature that it is.

I recently finished Targeted: A Deadly Ops Novel by Katie Reus.  It's a romantic suspense novel and the first in a new series by this author.  It strained credulity a bit, but I enjoyed it anyway.  Previously, I'd read and enjoyed her Moon Shifter paranormal romance series.

"Former Marine sniper and current NSA agent Jack Stone has a new face to go with his new identity. But he still has the same tortured memories—which include the woman he let get away years ago, when they were teenagers. Now his new assignment in Miami will put him so close to the woman he’s never been able to forget, he could reach out and touch her—if only she weren’t under suspicion.

When Sophie Moreno uncovers evidence linking the medical supply company she works for with arms smuggling—and worse—she doesn’t know who to turn to. After a shocking betrayal, she realizes the only person she can trust is a mysterious new person in the company—a man with hauntingly familiar eyes.

As Sophie questions her intense attraction to this man and Jack struggles not to blow his cover, the two of them must race against the clock to stop terrorists from killing scores of people—starting with them."

I also read the Red Stone Security Series Box Set: Volume 1 by the same author.  It was a pleasant read but not stellar.

Regards,

Kareni

I can't resist telling those who have never read The Bobbsey Twins that they are available on the kindle for free.  They are OK,  more of a Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, and Trixie Beldon fan myself.

That's what I love about this list. IRL, only one other person I know has heard of Cherry Ames. One! I loved the first 3 books of that series when I was 11-12. 

I just finished 'The Many Conditions of Love' which is part of "The Marriage Bureau for Rich People" series. Nice and fluffy; set in India.

I should not have looked this one up!  It looks fun and India, which I still need. The review I read compared it to Jane Austen in India. :lol:  Since the library had the first one I ordered that one.