Menu

Prom etiquette

KungFuPanda

My daughter is attending her Junior Prom tomorrow. She entered public school in 9th grade. This is apparently too late to be TOO invested in the details :-/ Wasn't SHE responsible for the boutineirre? I forgot about it and it just crossed my mind tonight. The boy who is taking her has a father who teaches at their school, so he's going to have current information and is an all-around well-mannered kid. MY child, however has a no-big-deal attitude about the whole thing. I like this, but I don't want her to be rude. I can easily make a boutineirre in the morning, but I thought I'd get some advice. Silk or fresh? Current trends? Is my child clueless because they stopped doing this 20 years ago? Do I make one, tuck it away, and only bring it out if he has a corsage?

He's a bit more interested in the details than Dd. He has asked her about colors. I assume it was to coordinate colors. He has a brother who is a senior, so he's had coaching and I'm guessing his parents want to knock out both boys' prom errands at once.

They still do corsages and boutineires here.  My boys made their dates their corsages and they received purchased boutineires from their dates.  I did make a backup boutineire because we were not sure if one of the girls was going to remember but she did.  If I were you, I would make a simple one to have on hand.

They still do corsages and boutineires here.  My boys made their dates their corsages and they received purchased boutineires from their dates.  I did make a backup boutineire because we were not sure if one of the girls was going to remember but she did.  If I were you, I would make a simple one to have on hand.

In your scenario, MY daughter would be the girl you weren't sure of. My apologies.

Around here the trend is matching corsage/boutonnieres. One time dd had a date who showed up with both -- I"m pretty sure his mom was the one in charge of that -- we had one for him, but it wasn't as matchy-matchy so they used the one he brought.  Dd went to a different formal with a different guy, though, and purchased both herself because she knew exactly what she wanted and how it would coordinate (plus, true confession, she really liked date #2 a lot better and was more excited about the entire dance).  My nephew's girlfriend would just tell him exactly what to get for her, and controlled the matching that way.

Fresh flowers are the in thing here. 

ETA:  I called the mom of guy #2 and said, "Okay, I have no idea how we're supposed to do this.  How about if we just get both items?"  For guy #1 it didn't cross my mind that I could or should talk to his mom.

My daughter is attending her Junior Prom tomorrow. She entered public school in 9th grade. This is apparently too late to be TOO invested in the details :-/ Wasn't SHE responsible for the boutineirre? I forgot about it and it just crossed my mind tonight. The boy who is taking her has a father who teaches at their school, so he's going to have current information and is an all-around well-mannered kid. MY child, however has a no-big-deal attitude about the whole thing. I like this, but I don't want her to be rude. I can easily make a boutineirre in the morning, but I thought I'd get some advice. Silk or fresh? Current trends? Is my child clueless because they stopped doing this 20 years ago? Do I make one, tuck it away, and only bring it out if he has a corsage?

Yes, she is responsible for the boutineirre. Fresh flowers. I'd get it to match her dress.

I would tell her to talk to him and figure it out. I hate corsages and told my boyfriends I didn't want them. Some guys wanted flowers and others didn't. I did wear a corsage once because I went spur of the moment with a sorta friend. He was more traditional then me. I took it off as soon as I got to the table.

Here, the couple usually goes to the flower shop together to pick them out.  If that didn't happen, I'd get a simple white carnation to have on hand, just in case.  (Or if your daughter is comfortable calling him, she can ask him what colors he is wearing.)

That being said, there are no set rules here, and really anything goes.  :)

I help my DS get his corsages, and I pay for them.  He picks out what he likes, but I pick it up.  I know his jr prom date had help from her mom as well.  I don't think it would be too late to go to a florist, they usually have extra, standard ones.  Cant go wrong with a red or white rose.

Several florists here (even ones in the grocery store) throw a simple matching boutonniere in the box with the girl's corsage at no extra charge (or really, included with the original charge :glare: )

Sweet Child went solo to the Prom so I made her a wrist corsage.

Last year, Diamond went with a life-long family friend, and they made each others' flowers, but they planned that in advance.

Update: It turns out boutonnières are really easy to make. I had all the supplies I needed except flowers, so I grabbed them at the grocery store. The how-to page is now pinned on my Achievement Unlocked Pinterest board!

Dd wore a dark blue dress, but her accessories were all yellow. Her date knew her dress was blue so he coordinated with that. The yellow rosebud boutonnière made them look adorably matchy-matchy. I cut the ribbon hangy-thing from dds dress (didn't need it to hang) so the ribbon matched her dress perfectly.

As a bonus I have a fresh bouquet of flowers on my DR table because I only used one flower and some greenery.

As it turns out, both of these kids were homeschooled too long to take the prom seriously. Some of their photos were ridiculous and it never occurred to either to even ask about a limo. I love it :-)