Menu

So, in an effort to control *something* in my life, I am perusing organic meat sites and mason jar salads

Joanne

I really want to get back on my diet. I can't from a budget standpoint.

So, it is conventionally grown clearance meat for me and my family and clearance bagged salads and produce.

I won't be posting mine on pinterest. ;)

Clearance bagged salads and produce is a lot better than ramen noodles every day! And if you've got 'em hanging around, you can still do mason jar salads. It keeps the salad fresher longer.

(I put my salads in mason jars--I've been using those things since long before pinterest existed--but trust me, I'm not posting mine on pinterest, either. :laugh: )

Oh see I think you should post it.  Show people what REAL people are REALLY like. 

LOL. 

My kitchen doesn't have beautifully matching accessories and is a mess right now.

Most of my meals are uninspired. 

My clothing is what my teenage daughter calls "real mom stuff." 

My garden has lots of weeds right now.

My house desperately needs new flooring.

The only sewing I do is to repair things.

I can't remember the last time I did something "crafty.

But I'm a REAL, genuine mom.

I would do the mason jar salad thing but my guess is that I would have 4 others wanting one too and would have to make 5 per day.  

Exactly.  Several years ago I took one to an event with my teens (they were having pizza), and they decided that they wanted my salad next time instead.

Oh, and I just got back from the grocery store, and I bought three packages of stew meat on clearance.

Yup, we're trucking along here!

Maybe if I buy lettuce in huge bulk and get an assembly line going, I could do 35 at a time for the week.

Not sure I have the fridge space for that though.

How large are these mason jars?  16 ounces?

Dawn

Reminds me of the cheese chip kick I was on.  I promptly gave it up because everyone wanted me to make them some too.  And they are kind of a pain to make!

Now I want a Mason jar salad...

(My fave thing to do is to go to Kroger and grab all the clearance produce.  This week I got big bags of organic (gasp) kale salad with dressing for $1.79, three large containers of sliced portabella mushrooms for .99 each, four tiny cucumbers for .79 (got two packages) and two containers of fresh broccoli and baby carrots for .79 each.)  Alas, there was no clearance meat - only a small tuna steak, which I passed on.  I wish you lived closer - I would totally hook you up with our salvage grocery store here.  We eat a rockin' amount of awesome food for a low, low price.  :D)

Now can someone please explain to me using small words and short sentences how to make a Mason jar salad?

Now can someone please explain to me using small words and short sentences how to make a Mason jar salad?

Well, I can tell you how I do it. I don't know how they do the fancy pinterest ones, 'cause I don't have time for that. Lol. Prep all your salad fixins. Layer everything but the lettuce on the bottom of the jar, then pack the jar with lettuce. There you go. Salad in a jar. When you want to eat it, dump it out and add dressing (if I want cheese I add it when I am ready to eat it; I don't store the salad with cheese).

I almost always use romaine lettuce because it lasts much longer than spring mix or baby lettuces. Basically, "mason jar salad" = salad that I will actually eat because 1) it's ready to go and 2) it doesn't rot in my fridge 24 hours after purchase like box spring mix.

Well, I can tell you how I do it. I don't know how they do the fancy pinterest ones, 'cause I don't have time for that. Lol. Prep all your salad fixins. Layer everything but the lettuce on the bottom of the jar, then pack the jar with lettuce. There you go. Salad in a jar. When you want to eat it, dump it out and add dressing (if I want cheese I add it when I am ready to eat it; I don't store the salad with cheese).

I almost always use romaine lettuce because it lasts much longer than spring mix or baby lettuces. Basically, "mason jar salad" = salad that I will actually eat because 1) it's ready to go and 2) it doesn't rot in my fridge 24 hours after purchase like box spring mix.

Very good. I can do this. :)

Ok I'm going to admit that I'm not entirely sober right now so these are about 200 times as hilarious as they would be stone cold sober!!

Heck, I'm laughing myself stupid and I'm not even drinking. Imagine how much fun I'll have once I break open the cider.  Which would be right about...now.

Since it sounds like you would rather go organic but it is too expensive, I am wondering if you know someone where you can have a little corner in their garden or buy from a farm. I find great deals and meet great people on farms. Just a thought.

Interesting.  How long do these things last?  We love salads, but as you mentioned, things go bad so fast.