Menu

College graduation What should parents/family wear?

Kendall

We are heading up to UNC this weekend for a dear friend.  We will be wearing business casual to dress clothing.  I personally am wearing a nice summer maxi dress (not with spaghetti type straps though!) with heeled sandals.

I remember my family wearing khakis and dress shirts (father and brothers) and summer slacks and a dress shirt (mother) to my college graduation.

Thank you all so much.  You have confirmed what I thought - business casual guys  /dresses/skirts for the girls and me.  But I also now won't get uptight if my other college son, who will meet us there, is wearing jeans.  But I will ask him if he would wear a button up shirt. 

My daughter graduated from FSU last week (WOOT!) and the trend was church/office casual. For adults, there were lots of khakis, button-down shirts, summer dresses, women in slacks, etc. I don't think I saw anyone in a suit, but I did see a few sports coats.  College-aged students and younger were in more casual clothing (including jeans). I saw few (if any) t-shirts, so your instinct toward a polo or button-up shirt for your son seems to be a good one.

I think your choices above will be just right. :)

And congratulations to your son!

My daughter's commencement was this past Sunday. I saw everything from jeans and t-shirts to Sunday dress. My boys wore polo shirts and Khakis. DH wore what he wears to work- dress pants and button down shirt. I wore nice slacks and a pretty knit shirt. We blended right in.

My daughter graduated from FSU last week (WOOT!)

Wow, really? Did you hear Coach Bowden speak or were you guys on a different day? I went to the Saturday Morning commencement and it was so nice! I really enjoyed the coaches speech.

and the trend was church/office casual. For adults, there were lots of khakis, button-down shirts, summer dresses, women in slacks, etc. I don't think I saw anyone in a suit, but I did see a few sports coats.  College-aged students and younger were in more casual clothing (including jeans). I saw few (if any) t-shirts, so your instinct toward a polo or button-up shirt for your son seems to be a good one.

I think your choices above will be just right. :)

And congratulations to your son!

That can be a complicated question!

DS22 graduates in two weeks from the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. There are a week's worth of events (some optional and some mandatory) to attend. Dress code varies from nice casual to formal dresses (evening wear). Plus dressing Ppropriately for Colorado heat and rain in May.

We are traveling quite a ways for the graduation and are working now on how to consolidate everyone's dress clothes into the minimum amount of space.

In my family, high school graduation is a "special occasion."

College graduation is more along the lines of "taking everyone out for pizza."

Still special, but just not as big of a deal. Dress is along the same lines.