Menu

Run or Dye

hmschooln

I'm not a runner, but a local school did one for a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. They posted this on their website:

COLOR RUN TIPS ~

* Bring swim goggles or sunglasses to keep the powder out of your eyes. Though no volunteers will intentionally spray at eyes, there is still a cloud of powder around.

* Cover your hair if you don't want it colored.

* DON’T worry! The color is non-toxic. Just colored cornstarch, so don’t let that worry you.

* DO bring a ziploc baggie for your phone. You will want to take pictures, but you don’t want to ruin your phone.

* DO bring a change of clothes and/or a towel for your car.

* DO bring a bandana to cover your mouth and nose if you plan to get doused.

* DON’T wear anything too precious. The color may or may not come out of your clothes and shoes so wear old ones that you don’t mind getting mucked up a bit. As for your shirt, you can spray it with vinegar and iron in the color if you want to keep it as a souvenir.

HAVE FUN!!!

My college dd didn't do a color run, but they did "throw"the color around several weeks ago.  Her once black shoes were stained.  They actually looked really cool.  Then out of nowhere the color was gone.

She said it took washing her hair 2 or 3 times to get the color out.  But then again these are college students throwing color on each other.  I'm sure it turned into a "water balloon fight" mentality.

I've done multiple colour runs and mud runs/obstacle courses. My kids had a brilliant time at the colour runs. The colour powder is basically coloured cornflour/cornstarch and the people throwing the colour on you always aim low especially if you're running with young kids.

It's a great family day of fun. The last one did, we had a team of "Sparkly Unicorns" consisting of my three children (13, 10 and 8), me, and my parents :) Even my Dad wore his Unicorn headband.

post-484-0-92155300-1399374024_thumb.jpg

post-484-0-92155300-1399374024_thumb.jpg

Two of mine did Run or Dye 2 years ago. They both do runs often. They both disliked this one.

There were NO water stations, and it was a hot, humid day. There were guys selling water along the run for $10 a bottle, which people were paying in desperation. After the finish line there was a table with warm Dixie cups of water. It really made us furious that runners were put in danger this way when they make big bucks off these runs. Although there is a vague "portion of proceeds donated locally" claim, we were not able to ever get a response as to where the $$ was donated.

Color runs can be lots of fun, but Run or Dye was not in our experience.

I've done Color Me Rad. It isn't really like a typical 5k, our course was little short, lots of people were walking. There were stations every so often and you were sprayed with color (they used sprayers like you'd use to spray your grass), you could avoid the station if you wanted by staying toward the middle. They also passed out packets of powder and after the race everyone threw it in the air. They also played music so lots if people were dancing.

I have blonde hair so I kept it covered, the color came off my skin fairly easily. It did permanently stain the shirt I was wearing, and I had gotten sprayed with lots of yellow and green so it ended up looking brown.

I did it with a group of people including an 8 year old. I think kids would have a lot of fun.

What is this?  Are non-Hindus feeling left out of all the Holi fun?  :lol:  Or where did this idea come from??

A blogger I follow recently did Run or Dye.  While they enjoyed it, there were issues, and she far prefers other color runs to this one.  Here is her blog post about it.

I just read a recent article by an author who felt that color runs were white-washing Holi. She seemed offended that people would extract the fun part without bothering to learn anything else.

We've done two - the Color Run and Run or Dye. I think the Color Run was more fun, better orchestrated, and a more family-friendly environment. That said, I'd still do a Run or Dye if it were in my neighborhood :)

• 1 month later...
Guest pbrgurl21

Ok, I am looking for some answers or help here. I was signed up to do the Run or Dye in Champaign IL and it was cancelled, they offered full refunds so I did mine online like it said to do. It stated it had been processed and would take 4-6 weeks to credit back. Well it has now been 8 weeks and I haven't gotten anything back. A friend of mine got a phone number off a live chat and called and got hers within a couple of weeks. She has thrown that number away of course my luck, so I am inquiring if anyone would know how or who to get it from. Please help!