Menu

Does Times Tales work?

I did the flip cards with the stories once my kids knew the concept of multiplication. Without the understanding of WHY I think it's a waste of time. That being said, my kids "knew" the stories and times takes after an afternoon. We used the picture flash cards for about a week, and then occasionally "snowman and the chair..." . For us it was totally worth it.

It was a bust for us. Complete, total bust.

We're trying Reflex Math now and seeing some progress.

But our experience may be atypcial as ds has some working memory/processing speed issues.

Math facts in this house: :banghead:  

I think it depends on the kid. Squirrelboy went through the program with the flip cards and stories last summer as part of a "math for dyslexics" program with a tutor. He got so he knew them well (it took much more than one sitting) and could do them with flashcards by the end of the summer. A few months later, he had completely forgotten them, didn't even remember which number was which character. I got the video, hoping a refresher would help, but he hated the voice of the narrator, so that was a no go. 

That said, Kittygirl watched along with him and then requested the video several times. She was not yet three at the time, and she still knows some of the stories six months later. She doesn't understand the concept of multiplication and can't count past 15 at this point, so it's only a story to her, but that tells me that typical kid who understands multiplication and likes learning through stories might benefit from the program.

I used the stories at Multiplication.com (which I believe are similar) for Calvin, who just couldn't learn his times tables.  He's extremely focused on words, rhythms and stories.  He learned all his times tables in less than a week.  He already knew why and how multiplication worked - we just used the stories for the facts.

L

I used the stories at Multiplication.com (which I believe are similar) for Calvin, who just couldn't learn his times tables. He's extremely focused on words, rhythms and stories. He learned all his times tables in less than a week. He already knew why and how multiplication worked - we just used the stories for the facts.

L

I was just going to say this. When my dd was just turning 3! She wanted to learn multiplication tables. She had already done lots of play and had learne skip counting, so I went looking for something fun and story based.

I thought it would just be fun an silly, but it was amazing. We read the stories (I actually let her color the cards, but that was an age thing)!and she just had them.

Funnily enough, learning them story-based meant that she did not have to learn division facts. In her mind they were perfectly linked as a story.

The other thing is, for Multiplication.com you don't HAVE to buy expensive materials, although you can buy the books. You can just download and print the cards as a $0.99 download then read the stories on the website. They have free games as well.

I just checked and they still have a little video on their blog of my cutey practicing her 'facts.'

I do think that for the story-based format, often younger kids and very visual people seem to do much better with them.

He's extremely focused on words, rhythms and stories.  He learned all his times tables in less than a week.  

My ds is a word and story guy.  Tell him a story once and it's memorized.  He is not visual, he is auditory.  Math is not his strong suit. He watched the Times Tales once over a couple of sittings.  If he could't come up with a multiplication quick enough, I'd just name the characters and he's got it.  Math reflex was not a success for him - too much pressure and it was just numbers.  

So, it'll work depending on how your child learns.

Nah they don't work. More money I threw down the drain. 

I think it really depends on the child: it's not that 'they don't work' but rather 'they didn't work for us.'  Times tables stories were the only things that worked with Calvin.

L

Didn't work for my little guy.  Timez attack did the trick.  I got the free version and he nailed his facts backwards and forwards.  So I bought the expanded version and I was amazed at how quickly he drilled all the levels.

I could see this working for my ds if he was having trouble learning facts because he memorizes stories well. I am not sure it would work for my oldest. I want to teach ds the concept first but I might use it if he really got the concept but needed help with getting them faster.

I did Times Tales with my nephew, and it worked for him.  We went through each step of the video very carefully, and after he had gone through the first half and had the stories memorized,I printed out the flash cards for those problems and we worked on those (on the side with the pictures from the stories) for awhile before moving on.  At first, he had to think of the story to remember the answer, but he didn't have to do that very long before it was imprinted in his memory.  This is a child who is very strong in language and very story-oriented but who has a lot of trouble with math, especially with remembering math facts.  I couldn't believe how well Times Tales worked for him.