Menu

For those using Singapore, all the books, texts, IP, CWP...

what do you when, how and how to you start?  I am going through the EB books right now with my 4yo dd, but she is flying right along and I want to get a plan mapped out for 1A/1B.  Please tell me what you use, how you use it, and if you alternate or use them all daily.  Thanks!

We do text, CWP, and IP. My student goes through the entire chapter in the textbook minus the end-of-chapter review exercise (that we save to do 1 semester behaind), then the CWP, then the IP. Since DS started doing Beast Academy in addition to Singapore, I've been assigning fewer of the IP problems. I always assign all the word problems and the "take the challenge!" problems in IP.

Right now he's doing Singapore M/W, BA T/Th, and Singapore reviews from 1 semester behind on Fridays.

I haven't quite figured out how to work in IP and the mental math (practice problems in the back of the HIG).  But here is what our day with SM looks like.  Before we begin math I have my Dd practice skip counting and do one or two pages of story problems from the CWP.    I am using CWP one grade behind, so for example we this year we are doing SM 2 A & B, but we are using CWP 1.  We do these problems using a white board, that way I don't have to purchase a copy for each child.  I then look through the HIG and figure out what I need to teach, and then I go through the lesson with my Dd as laid out in the HIG.  Sometimes this only takes a minute if it is just review.  If it is a simple concept and I don't feel like my Dd needs to use any manipulatives I just look through the assigned textbook pages with my Dd.  If not then I get out the needed items and we work through the lesson.  If I feel more reinforcement is needed then we will go through the textbook pages as well.  After that I then assign the workbook pages to my Dd and she can often do it pretty independently. 

I don't use Singapore, but I do use Math in Focus (Singapore style) plus the IP and CWP books.

I use the IP books a semester behind and CWP book a year behind. Basically I schedule it by taking the IP book counting the number of problems in the book and dividing by 18 (for 18 weeks/half a school year). I make sure that we do that many problems a week out of the IP book. For the CWP book I do the same thing except divide by 36 (for 36 weeks/half a school year).

I teach the lesson from MIF, then during dd10's independent work time she does her MIF workbook pages, IP and CWP problems. If she has trouble with something, I go over it with her at the end of the school day.

For dd6, we work through all of her math work together, but I have the goal of having her doing the same scenario as big sister by 2nd grade.

We do text, CWP, and IP. My student goes through the entire chapter in the textbook minus the end-of-chapter review exercise (that we save to do 1 semester behaind), then the CWP, then the IP. Since DS started doing Beast Academy in addition to Singapore, I've been assigning fewer of the IP problems. I always assign all the word problems and the "take the challenge!" problems in IP.

Right now he's doing Singapore M/W, BA T/Th, and Singapore reviews from 1 semester behind on Fridays.

This is a GREAT idea! We don't always do all of the reviews (there are SO MANY in the Standards Edition), but I've been holding on to the reviews for some reason. I guess it was for this reason!

For 1A we used the textbook and workbook. For 1B we are using the textbook, workbook, and intensive practice. When we move to 2A I will use the textbook, workbook, intensive practice (as needed), and CWP 1.

I was getting worried we weren't doing it properly reading the other posts! We do exactly this for 1a. We just picked up the Intensive Practice book to keep reviewing as we move into 1B. She does a quick few minutes on xtramath to warm up before we start.

I'll be the odd man out here, but we just do workbooks--no IP and no CWP.  We do the Mental Math in the back of the book and I do make them work on math facts separately (xtramath, wrap-ups, flashcards, etc.), but I found that they are getting enough practice through the workbook and the Mental Math.  I've tried both IP and CWP at different times, but it just never got done adequately and it took up too much of MY time ("mom!  I don't get this!).  So, do try them if you want, but don't feel bad if they don't work for you!

A typical pattern: 

I teach from the TB on day 1. For my oldest, I often go through a whole chapter in one setting just discussing the problems in the TB verbally or doing a few examples together. He's good at math and grasps the concepts quickly. For my second son, I might do the whole chapter at once if it's more of a review concept or I'll split it up if it's new concepts. 

My oldest then does most of the problems in the IP book up through the word problems. He only very rarely uses the WB. If he misses a lot of IP problems or obviously needs more review, I'll use the WB. In a typical week, he'd get through the problems in the IP book for that chapter/topic in 1-2 weeks. I also assign him problems from the Challenging Problems section from the last topic we did and sometimes from a CWP book, but a level behind. 

So in one week, he might do: 

TB: 6B, Chapter Three, discuss together.

IP: 6B, Chapter Three, all problems (or for easier concepts he might do every other problem)

IP: 6B, Chatper Two, challenging problems

CWP, 5, Challenging Word Problems from Chapter X

I use the reviews as end of book tests (although I don't really grade them). I usually use one of the reviews in the TB as a test and then have him also do the IP review after that.

My second son is also pretty good at math but doesn't like it much. Interestingly, he likes the IP harder problems better. It's taken me awhile to realize that as I just thought he hated math. What he hates is what he sees as boring (fact review, etc). I follow pretty much the same pattern with him although we go a little slower and I would be more likely to add in some workbook problems if it's a topic he needs a little more practice with. 

I am on about my 49th year of using Singapore (possibly, that is a slight exaggeration--third and final kid, though), and what we have finally settled on is similar to what CrimsonWife mentions, except slightly more streamlined:  we go through an entire chapter of the textbook first; then all of the related exercises in the workbook; then the entire IP section; and then the entire CWP section (we skip the Extra Challenge).  The flipping back and forth between books was driving me bonkers, and this works much better.  I use the test book as review once in a while when I do not feel like doing another lesson.  I have never used the HIG.