Menu

Convince me to replace my windows.

BrookValley.

Title says most all of it. :tongue_smilie:

House is 30 years old. Windows are decent quality (I'd say middle of the road) double-paned Andersen windows (wood w/vinyl and rubber components). A lot of them are "leaky" (air, not water/moisture). We have no plans to sell the house anytime soon, if ever, but of course you never know. The house needs a lot of repairs and upgrades, including new siding, a kitchen re-do, new tile in the kitchen and bathrooms and at least refinishing of hardwood, bathroom upgrades, etc. We also need to replace the roof on our barn and restore the outside.

We can't do all of it at the same time. Am I replacing the windows first/as priority?

(note: as you can guess, I have an opinion, but I would like some impartial thought here.)

We're replacing our 40+ Anderson single panes gradually. We've done half the house (because I wanted to pay cash). A few had literally broken because the wooden tilt-frames got weak. In your case, I'd look into repairing them. It sounds like a little adjustment and some caulk could solve your problems.

Nope.  I would start with things that will either enhance your enjoyment or will catch the eye of a potential buyer.  Not that you ONLY fix things that will make the house more pretty, but the windows are functional, and are showing typical wear for their age.    Every year we do something that improves our enjoyment of the house and also something that has to be done just because it needs it.    So you might start a kitchen or bathroom reno and replace the barn roof before it gets to the point of causing damage because of leaks.  

But take my idea with the knowledge that my windows are 135 years old. And no way would I replace them even though they are leaky buggers. 

Nope.  I would start with things that will either enhance your enjoyment or will catch the eye of a potential buyer.  Not that you ONLY fix things that will make the house more pretty, but the windows are functional, and are showing typical wear for their age.    Every year we do something that improves our enjoyment of the house and also something that has to be done just because it needs it.    So you might start a kitchen or bathroom reno and replace the barn roof before it gets to the point of causing damage because of leaks.  

But take my idea with the knowledge that my windows are 135 years old. And no way would I replace them even though they are leaky buggers. 

In my research earlier I came across this thread about refurbishing old wood windows on Garden Web.  It might be interesting to you!  My windows aren't old enough to refurbish like this. I can make some repairs (i.e., weather sealing), but it's either repair or replace.

In our case, none of the windows are broken, they're just leaking a lot of air. I like the look of them fine. They do not tilt, so it's impossible to clean them. At this point I'm thinking we'd just replace them with something of comparable or slightly better quality. I haven't gotten any quotes yet, but it's doubtful we'd be able to afford windows with fancy features or of a much higher quality.

We're replacing our 40+ Anderson single panes gradually. We've done half the house (because I wanted to pay cash). A few had literally broken because the wooden tilt-frames got weak. In your case, I'd look into repairing them. It sounds like a little adjustment and some caulk could solve your problems.

Replacing them gradually is a thought...I'd be all for just replacing the worst of them, but the other, uh, interested party would not agree to that, unfortunately.

If they're over 70 years old, you SHOULDN'T replace them!  If they're really bad, get someone to rebuild the sashes as needed, but DON'T replace them.  This is common advice in the restoration world, btw.   Just get new storms.

Something with vinyl components, OTOH, is not even in the same category.  I'd go with the previous suggestions and replace one or two as the money comes available. 

If you decide to replace them, look into doing it yourself. You can save thousands and get a higher quality window. I thought it was crazy to do it ourselves, but my husband made it look like it was no big deal. The home improvement stores probably have classes for it and you tube has saved us on other repair work. Good luck!

In my research earlier I came across this thread about refurbishing old wood windows on Garden Web.  It might be interesting to you!  My windows aren't old enough to refurbish like this. I can make some repairs (i.e., weather sealing), but it's either repair or replace.

In our case, none of the windows are broken, they're just leaking a lot of air. I like the look of them fine. They do not tilt, so it's impossible to clean them. At this point I'm thinking we'd just replace them with something of comparable or slightly better quality. I haven't gotten any quotes yet, but it's doubtful we'd be able to afford windows with fancy features or of a much higher quality.

Thanks for the link! We've been renovating the downstairs windows and storm windows, and when we do the work it's costing us about $300 per window. We do pay to have new glass cut when needed and new glazing put in, but we take them to the shop to have that done. We can't do the upstairs ones ourselves without scaffolding. And there are 35 windows so it's been quite the task. 35 windows and 35 removable storm windows.  And it's too cold to do this work from October through March.  

Ugh- replacing windows a room at a time seems so much more do-able! Too bad you can't convince the other interested party. 

Leaky where?  You might be able to just use some caulk to deal with that. 

It does not sound dire to me.

They leak at the bottom where the window meets the...not the sill, but whatever it sits in? and in the middle where the two parts meet/lock. We couldn't caulk those areas and still be able to open the windows, but I imagine something else could be done?

When I look at the information out there on energy cost savings vs. the cost of replacement windows, the math doesn't add up. For example, the Energy Star web site gives a figure of $91 per year in energy savings for our area (replacing double-paned windows with new double-paned windows).  If it costs, say, $20,000 to replace all our windows (like I said, I don't have any quotes, so that figure is made up based on talking to a few other people who have had windows replaced recently), our grandkids would be old and grey before the cost recouped itself. Actually, it would never recoup, because the new windows aren't going to last but 20-30 years, anyway, and would need to be replaced long before the original ones paid for themselves.

None are broken. They all work fine. Cosmetically I see nothing wrong with them, except we can't wash the outside of them.

The main arguments for replacing them are first, saving money; second, cosmetics/being able to wash them; and third, resale value.

We're having the same debate here. We have nice looking, heavy, wooden 6-pane windows. Beautiful but they are the kind that are propped open with a stick so I never open them. It seems unsafe.

I'd love to hear more about diy window replacement!!

We did our original windows a few at a time as we had the $$ to do so.  It took a few years but they are all replaced. I will say it was one of the best things we did. After Hurricane Sandy we were without power for 9 days. It was freezing here.  The house never dropped below 57 degrees and we had minimal drafts.  I believe the temp was directly related to the windows.  There is no law saying you have to do all the windows at once.  Start with the coldest room and use the rest of the money for something else if that is what you want to do.

Have you checked into your local energy provider? Our electric company gives rebates depending on what windows you are replacing and what you replace them with.

Erica in OR

I will check into that, thanks. I did check into the federal tax credit, which is good if you install Energy Star-rated windows--however, it's good for "10% up to a total of $200."  Now, $200 is $200, but that isn't going to make one bit of difference against the sum total of "can we or can we not afford it." lol

I had double pane, decent quality. some had broken seals so we got condensation between the panes as well as inside the windows.  we replaced them a few years ago with good quality vinyl (milguard) with a wood-look profile. so they do look way better.

the frames do not conduct cold into the house. 

I have one large room with large west facing windows. it would become unbearably hot on hot days - even with exterior shades dropped down.  for this room I specially ordered a southern sun exposure e-glass (I wanted the extra heat protection).  it doesn't get hot anymore - even on hot days.  it also has a finish to help deflect glare.

we have less exterior noise coming inside.

the tracks are much easier to clean.

rooms stay warmer and cooler in appropriate weather.

we're sooooo glad we got new windows.

eta: we got a rebate from the energy co.  

If you decide to replace them, look into doing it yourself. You can save thousands and get a higher quality window. I thought it was crazy to do it ourselves, but my husband made it look like it was no big deal. The home improvement stores probably have classes for it and you tube has saved us on other repair work. Good luck!

I agree. 

you can double the cost of a window having someone else install them.  You do have to pay close attention to details, but it's not rocket science.

I just checked into our energy provider's rebates. They do offer up to $2,000 in rebates for various home energy-saving measures, though they don't list windows as one of them. It's more for air sealing, duct sealing/insulating, general insulation, HVAC stuff, etc. They might do something for windows, though. I'll have to dig a little deeper.

I do think new windows would be nice, and being able to tilt them in and clean them would be awesome. However, there are *so* many things we need to upgrade, and the cost is so high, I personally have a hard time as putting them at the top of my priority list. Getting new windows means we will have to live with john-deere green formica countertops, outdated bathrooms, and chipped and breaking tile floors for a very long time. I realize those things are cosmetic, but...if resale were an issue, I do think I'd have a lot harder time selling this place looking the way it does than with mediocre windows.

Have you checked to see if your windows are still under a warranty?  While window shopping we had the Anderson guy out to the house.  He went on and on about their warranty.  He mentioned that before they changed to the new special material that they had problems and are having to replace them.  The new special material was whiz-bang.  But, I think he said it was only used in Texas.  

But, like you, I looked at the numbers and they didn't make sense.  >$2000 for one of their windows, or a triple-paned with every energy-efficient option for <$400.  

Given the other things you listed, the windows would not be my first priority. Though I would consider temporary winterizing measures once you get to the time of the year you won't be opening them.

That reminds me. I have to remove our temporary winterizing material...I sealed up the leaky spots with copious amounts of painter's tape over the winter. Classy, I know. :lol:

Have you checked to see if your windows are still under a warranty?  While window shopping we had the Anderson guy out to the house.  He went on and on about their warranty.  He mentioned that before they changed to the new special material that they had problems and are having to replace them.  The new special material was whiz-bang.  But, I think he said it was only used in Texas.  

But, like you, I looked at the numbers and they didn't make sense.  >$2000 for one of their windows, or a triple-paned with every energy-efficient option for <$400.  

I think, at 30+ years installed, it's a safe bet to assume there's no warranty.

$2k for one window? Yikes!

We do the plastic film on our windows in winter.  I believe it does help. 

A lot of stuff that claims to save money is so expensive that it would be years before one realized any savings.  We toyed with the idea of a tankless water heater, but the cost and instillation are so much more than we would not really save money.

We have an old house.  The previous owner did replace the windows at some point.  So we have the ones that tilt in and can be washed.  I do like that feature.  I don't think I'd replace them just for that reason though. 

We redid our roof.  We had slate and there really wasn't anything majorly wrong with it, but the roof was the original (house was built in 1920).  We had a hard time getting insurance when we first bought the house because a lot of companies don't want to deal with slate.  To replace it with slate would be more than the house is worth.  We almost did not buy this house because of the roof.  So moving forward I figured if we ever wanted to sell it we should probably just put on a new roof.  The tiles we have now are warranted for 50 years.  I wonder if the house will even last that long. 

I can't do plastic film over the windows that need it most--they're floor to nearly-ceiling and there's nothing to attach the plastic to between windows (they are basically touching with a teensy piece of trim between). Plus, the cat. :glare:  We bought the stuff and tried it several years ago, and it was a no-go. But yeah, I just don't see where the math works to replace all the windows, at least right now, and especially with so many other things that need to be done.

We did redo our roof a few years ago, too. We got a metal roof. I think it's rated for 75 years, and we had a local Mennonite crew do it dirt cheap. Now that was a worthwhile home improvement!

I think, at 30+ years installed, it's a safe bet to assume there's no warranty.

$2k for one window? Yikes!

It was either 50 years or the lifetime of the house.  Of course, the price and the warranty are probably related.  The material was really neat.  The windows weren't wood, vinyl or aluminum.  It was that fake wood where they take sawdust and resin and make indestructible woodish.  The windows were one solid piece of that stuff.  I'd have spent an extra $200 for that.  But 5X? No.  

I think it could be like those lifetime car part replacement offers they used to make.  They figure the vast majority of the people will forget.  

Do you know you can buy windows that don't have to be cleaned?  When dirt plus sunlight plus the window coating are together, there is a chemical reaction and the dirt is broken down.  I don't know how well it works.  It is expensive and I will only live in an one story house.