Menu

Latin Self-Ed: Staying Ahead of the Kids

I'm thinking I need to get through a solid 2 year HS Latin program. Ideally I'd like to feel reasonably competent guiding the kids through 8th grade Latin. After that I can justify a tutor.

I have zero Latin background (just learning alongside LegoMan as we work through LL1 but we are only on chapter 3) so I'd be starting at the beginning. A straight textbook program is fine although part of me would prefer some DVD's or online video lessons to work through if I run into major issues. Religious is fine if needed. I realize a secular requirement will greatly limit options. Cost isn't a huge concern although I'd prefer something I don't have time limits on using. I likely will only be able to spend 10-30 minutes a day on this unfortunately. 

Ideas?

Classical Academic Press has a course just for that, Latin for Teachers. It is pricey, but I've only heard positive reviews.

Otherwise, Latin Alive levels 1 and 2 are my favorite junior high Latin. The DVDs drive the course and hold your hand the whole way.

..I realize a secular requirement will greatly limit options...

On the contrary, Latin is a subject where you will find a plethora of secular options. The best-known secular text is Wheelock's Latin. It comes with a web site with many free supports including audio pronunciations and an answer key.

See these other recent threads for more ideas - one, two, and three.

Latin in a Week online w/ Joanna Hensley got me kick started. It seemed pricey at first, but, in retrospect, it was money very well spent, considering all the texts I would probably have bought and all the time I would have lost to false starts. Nothing like a full-on crash course to get one to the point of making enough progress to motivate one to keep going!

There's also Latin for the New Millenium, if you want to self-study. The texts are super pricey, but, oh, so beautiful!  They're similar in approach to the Latin Alive books, but the LNM text has the most wonderful illustrations and art work. They're kind of like the Cambridge texts visually, but not at all like Cambridge in approach.  Every time I open the LNM text I have, I think, "Oh, I love this book!"  The Latin Alive texts are just plain dreary in comparison. 

There's also Latin for the New Millenium, if you want to self-study. The texts are super pricey, but, oh, so beautiful!  They're similar in approach to the Latin Alive books, but the LNM text has the most wonderful illustrations and art work. They're kind of like the Cambridge texts visually, but not at all like Cambridge in approach.  Every time I open the LNM text I have, I think, "Oh, I love this book!"  The Latin Alive texts are just plain dreary in comparison. 

Yup! I agree wholeheartedly. This is why we decided to start using the LNM curricula in our classes. It is such a beautifully done course! I love the way it combines the grammar approach with the reading approach. There are wonderful discussions of Roman history, and Latin conversations included in each of the chapters, too. 

I just wish that it was around when my kids were younger. :( We used Wheelock's, which I personally love (perhaps because it is how I originally discovered Latin), but it is a *little* dry after a while, especially with young 13 and 14yo students. 

Hope I'm not hijacking...I am looking into starting Latin self-ed next year and love the samples of Latin for the New Millennium. What books do you begin with? The website doesn't seem too clear on that. Thanks in advance!

Yup! I agree wholeheartedly. This is why we decided to start using the LNM curricula in our classes. It is such a beautifully done course! I love the way it combines the grammar approach with the reading approach. There are wonderful discussions of Roman history, and Latin conversations included in each of the chapters, too. 

I just wish that it was around when my kids were younger. :( We used Wheelock's, which I personally love (perhaps because it is how I originally discovered Latin), but it is a *little* dry after a while, especially with young 13 and 14yo students. 

This is our first year homeschooling and our first year with Latin and I am learning right along with my daughter.  It's working out very well and we actually have fun doing it together!  This year is was Latina Christiana from Memoria Press, and next year it will be the Form series.  So consider that learning along with your child will make the whole process a lot more fun.  Memoria Press is Ecclesiastical Latin; they have top-notch video teaching and excellent customer support, as well as teaching the Latin from a grammar first POV (which has made this the easiest language to understand that I have ever attempted). 

I've been learning Latin this year with kiddo using Lively Latin. After we got rolling I started doing a little Wheelock's on the side, too. Latin is more fun to do with someone, so the learning together is a real option. I would often watch the videos on the iPad in the morning while on the treadmill so I had a clue what was coming.

Latin in a Week online w/ Joanna Hensley got me kick started. It seemed pricey at first, but, in retrospect, it was money very well spent, considering all the texts I would probably have bought and all the time I would have lost to false starts. Nothing like a full-on crash course to get one to the point of making enough progress to motivate one to keep going!

Is she still teaching Latin In A Week?  I noticed her most recent blog posts seem to be date Jan 31.

Is she still teaching Latin In A Week?  I noticed her most recent blog posts seem to be date Jan 31.

Yes, at Wilson Hill Academy.  Click on "Summer School" and "2014."

Looks like there's one section, currently scheduled for:
July 28 - August 1; Monday-Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pm Eastern

Here's the blurb on the course from the site. That monthly opportunity for alums. of the course to check in w/ Joanna during the following year and ask any questions they've got or to get feedback would have been a HUGE plus for me!

"Have you been asked to teach Latin, even though you know little about the language? Are you a homeschooing parent who is trying to keep ahead of your children in their Latin studies? Or are you simply curious about Latin, but you don't have time to take a full course at the local college? Wilson Hill Academy's Latin-in-a-Week is the course for you. LIAW will cover all 40 chapters of that classic Latin text Wheelock's Latin in just five days. You will be surprised at just how much you will absorb during this summer intensive course. Special attention is given to teaching Latin, so that LIAW alumni will be prepared to share what they have learned with others. Additionally, all the course sessions are recorded and made available to you, so that you may revisit the sessions throughout the year, as needed. Joanna Hensley has been teaching this course since 2008, and she is armed with handouts, slides, sound files, and exercises, all designed to make the LIAW experience a highlight of your summer.

• As a bonus, Mrs. Hensley will hold monthly LIAW-alumni meetings throughout the school year for anyone who wants to check in, ask questions, or get feedback about their Latin. Highly-motivated teens, grad students facing comps, parents, teachers, and other life-long learners are also encouraged to register."
  •  

I hope it's ok for me to mention this here  :unsure: ... but I've been doing a similar course (Summer Mom's Latin) for many years, except it is spread out over the summer.  And I have had so many teenagers, college students, and other 'non-moms' take it that I finally broke down and renamed it Intro Latin last summer!

Yes, at Wilson Hill Academy.  Click on "Summer School" and "2014."

Looks like there's one section, currently scheduled for:
July 28 - August 1; Monday-Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pm Eastern

Here's the blurb on the course from the site. That monthly opportunity for alums. of the course to check in w/ Joanna during the following year and ask any questions they've got or to get feedback would have been a HUGE plus for me!

"Have you been asked to teach Latin, even though you know little about the language? Are you a homeschooing parent who is trying to keep ahead of your children in their Latin studies? Or are you simply curious about Latin, but you don't have time to take a full course at the local college? Wilson Hill Academy's Latin-in-a-Week is the course for you. LIAW will cover all 40 chapters of that classic Latin text Wheelock's Latin in just five days. You will be surprised at just how much you will absorb during this summer intensive course. Special attention is given to teaching Latin, so that LIAW alumni will be prepared to share what they have learned with others. Additionally, all the course sessions are recorded and made available to you, so that you may revisit the sessions throughout the year, as needed. Joanna Hensley has been teaching this course since 2008, and she is armed with handouts, slides, sound files, and exercises, all designed to make the LIAW experience a highlight of your summer.

• As a bonus, Mrs. Hensley will hold monthly LIAW-alumni meetings throughout the school year for anyone who wants to check in, ask questions, or get feedback about their Latin. Highly-motivated teens, grad students facing comps, parents, teachers, and other life-long learners are also encouraged to register."
  •  

Hope I'm not hijacking...I am looking into starting Latin self-ed next year and love the samples of Latin for the New Millennium. What books do you begin with? The website doesn't seem too clear on that. Thanks in advance!

I have the textbook and workbook, but DD doesn't need the workbook for practice since there are enough exercises in the textbook, and this is more of a fun review for us. We've used Henle for some time and will switch to Lukeion in August.

You may need the TM if you are a beginner; I didn't purchase it due to price, and I've learned enough Latin from Henle to correct DD's translations.

I have the textbook and workbook, but DD doesn't need the workbook for practice since there are enough exercises in the textbook, and this is more of a fun review for us. We've used Henle for some time and will switch to Lukeion in August.

You may need the TM if you are a beginner; I didn't purchase it due to price, and I've learned enough Latin from Henle to correct DD's translations.

Thank you crazyforlatin. Should I look into purchasing audio/ dvd resources if I am a beginner?

Thank you crazyforlatin. Should I look into purchasing audio/ dvd resources if I am a beginner?

I just remembered why I didn't buy the audio recordings. If you listen to the samples, I really don't think there is a need. The pronunciation guide for classical pronunciation is straightforward. I didn't see a DVD option. Bolchazy offers a teacher lounge if you sign up. I didn't because we use Henle, and LNM is a review, so I don't really need anything more than the textbook. I can see where a TM is necessary due to passages where grammar concepts have not been taught but that the student is supposed to translate based on the vocabulary list. That would actually frustrate me - immersion approach. I'm not fond of learning this way, but having gone through most of Henle, it's not quite immersion. If I had the money, I would get the TM, which is a whopping $99, skip the CD, skip the workbook, skip the DVD (not fond of watching someone teach).

I would have been tempted by Beth's class, but we're too much ahead in the book to go back through it again. And, I've signed DD up for Lukeion.

I just remembered why I didn't buy the audio recordings. If you listen to the samples, I really don't think there is a need. The pronunciation guide for classical pronunciation is straightforward. I didn't see a DVD option. Bolchazy offers a teacher lounge if you sign up. I didn't because we use Henle, and LNM is a review, so I don't really need anything more than the textbook. I can see where a TM is necessary due to passages where grammar concepts have not been taught but that the student is supposed to translate based on the vocabulary list. That would actually frustrate me - immersion approach. I'm not fond of learning this way, but having gone through most of Henle, it's not quite immersion. If I had the money, I would get the TM, which is a whopping $99, skip the CD, skip the workbook, skip the DVD (not fond of watching someone teach).

I would have been tempted by Beth's class, but we're too much ahead in the book to go back through it again. And, I've signed DD up for Lukeion.

Extremely helpful! :thumbup: Thanks very much!

Hi quark!

I just noticed this question. Wasn't sure if this was directed towards me, or not...

Anyway,                                                                                          

Latin for the New Millennium has three levels of text, and of course one needs to start with LNM I, which does not assume any previous knowledge. Each text will build on the knowledge of grammar learned in the previous one. 

But ideally a student would have at least a year of middle school Latin (like my Latina Ponti or Latin for Children)--because this will make it easier to assimilate all of the Latin grammar thrown at them in this college/high school level textbook! The subjunctive mood is dived into at the very beginning of LNM II. Actually, the same amount of grammar in the 40 chapters of Wheelock's is covered by the first two volumes of LNM; which have about 32 chapters each (when you count in the reviews).  

My friend, Kaitlin (see her bio here) is teaching all of LNM I this summer (starting May 19th), and so this would be a great opportunity for someone who wants a crash course in Latin, or wants to study Latin using this text, Latin for the New Millenium. (And its offered in the Fall, too.)  

Bonum studium!