Menu

Turnips, Parsnips, & Leeks - Oh My!

Joker

Use leeks like you would onions (though they are much milder), use parsnips like you would carrots, and use turnips like you would other root vegetables. So if you usually make chicken pot pie with onion, carrots, and celery, try it with leeks, parsnips, and turnips.

Anywhere you would add some diced carrots, you can add diced parsnips and/or diced turnips instead of or alongside the carrots.

A beef pot pie would be particularly nice, either in a pie shell or topped with biscuits or mashed potatoes.

All of those would make a great roasted veggies dish, very easy. Just cut into chunks, toss with olive oil and sea salt, the basil and other herbs if you want. Roast at about 400 for an hour. The parsnips and turnips will both be really sweet that way. 

Some of my favorite leek recipes (sorry, on iPad, not linking)

Classic Leeks Vinaigrette NYTimes

Ham and Leek Quiche Williams Sonoma

And of course potato leek soup is wonderful. Leeks are so much milder than onions, fresh and spring-like. Just be sure to wash carefully, as sand can get lodged between the outer layers of leaves.

Mashed parsnips are lovely, on own or mixed with mashed potatoes. As pp said, cook as you would carrots.

Turnips -- do you mean white or yellow (rutabagas). Rutabagas can be puréed, often done with apples. White turnips can be roasted, boiled, etc. They have a pretty strong flavor, IMO, and go better with meat, rather than with chicken or fish.

I just had leeks for dinner, simmered into a sauce for chicken with white wine, chicken broth, and butter.  Fantastic!  If you haven't had them before, there's an easy trick to getting all the grit out of their layers.  You might look it up on one of those cooking websites (Rachel Ray, Martha, whatever).  Basically, you cut them up before you wash them, then move the pieces from one bowl of clean water to another until there is no more grit in the bottom of the bowl (just two bowls; in, swish, scoop out to the other, rinse out the first bowl, back and forth...).  I love cooking tips.  :coolgleamA:

If your turnips come with their greens, this recipe is one of our favorites (and the reason I grow turnips):

http://www.petesgreens.com/recipes/item/1812-stir-fried-turnips-with-greens/1812-stir-fried-turnips-with-greens

I'd use the leeks and potatoes in Boulangerie Beans and Potatoes (leek variation):

http://tummytreasure.com/archive/?p=557

Potato and Leek Soups is daughter #2's favorite!  -edit: I skimmed through the replies and didn't see this mentioned - leeks can be pretty dirty. Make sure you separate the stalk and wash it really well!

I treat parsnips just like carrots and roast them with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.  Or add them to a pot roast or beef stew.

I like raw turnips, thinly sliced with a sprinkle of salt.

Potato Leek Soup (also called Vichyssoise) is one of the most lovely things to eat. I like it warm, but I love it pureed and chilled. It is so simple and elegant. I also love leeks cooked low and slow for 40 minutes or more (caramelized) as a topping for pizza or an ingredient in frittatas.

Parsnips add lovely sweetness to dishes. I like them in soups. One of my favorite things to do with parsnips is to boil and mash them and also boil and mash carrots, then serve them side by side or swirled in the same dish. If you add some whole garlic cloves and a few herbs (parsley, thyme) to your boiling water then mash the parsnips with a little butter and the boiled garlic cloves they will be perfect.