Menu

Questions about 5Ks

mom31257

Some of the ones at Disney have a per-mile time/overall time you have to meet, but it's because they've got to open or close the parks. There's a van that follows and scoops you up.

If there's no time requirement posted or it's marketed as a "fun run," then take your time and walk away! :)

I've never seen one that you can't walk.  In fact many marathons even have a walker option.  You have a time to finish in, but you can still walk.  I did talk to a marathon walker once.  She registered as a runner because in that one if you ran a single step and were seen, you were disqualified.

One request from runner, please line up in the "back".  I get so annoyed passing walkers just to get to the start line.

You can absolutely walk as much as you need to!  Plenty of people walk the whole thing.  The race experience is fun - it is a great workout and where else can you walk, support a good cause, and have people handing you water along the way?   :laugh:

It's always OK to send the race director an e-mail with any questions you may have, too.  They are generally pretty happy to answer any questions that prospective participants may have.  

Also agreeing about walk/run. If you have a particular 5k in mind, you can usually look up results on line. There will usually be a link to the site of whatever timing system is used. Check to make sure that you see runners come in with longer times, like 50 minutes plus.

We live in an area with a lot of 5ks. The medical charity races attract a lot of families running for a good cause, and there will inevitably be slower people. There are also races that include stroller trots and doggie runs. Elite runners start at the front, the regular runners, the slower runners. Dogs and strollers go off last. I have a friend who uses stopping to admire dogs as an excuse for being slow, lol.