Menu

Do I tip the driver of the courtesy van?

lynn

They are usually employees at the dealership who got tapped that day (not full-time drivers). My dealership does not allow tips. If I didn't know this, I would offer a tip if they had to help me in some way. Otherwise, nope.

//waits for people from other tipping thread to come beat me up// 

In this situation, no, and as others have mentioned, tipping is generally not allowed.  These guys aren't really doing that for a living.  They're just picked to "go fetch."  They do tend to make far more than minimum wage with their "real" job.  They may even appreciate a break from their real job to play "fetch."  (pending traffic, etc)  ;)

In this situation, no, and as others have mentioned, tipping is generally not allowed.  These guys aren't really doing that for a living.  They're just picked to "go fetch."  They do tend to make far more than minimum wage with their "real" job.  They may even appreciate a break from their real job to play "fetch."  (pending traffic, etc)  ;)

This.  Dh works for a dealership and this is what he said.  

Just as an FYI -- I am pretty sure the service department at the dealership we use has a designated courtesy van driver.  Maybe he has other duties, but he's the only person I've seen driving the courtesy van in years and years.  They're a very busy/popular dealership, though.  I've never needed to use the van, so I don't know if tipping is expected/allowed or not..

Just as an FYI -- I am pretty sure the service department at the dealership we use has a designated courtesy van driver.  Maybe he has other duties, but he's the only person I've seen driving the courtesy van in years and years.  They're a very busy/popular dealership, though.  I've never needed to use the van, so I don't know if tipping is expected/allowed or not..

It's most likely that he has other duties. I can't imagine a dealership big enough to have him do nothing but drive all day - maybe in a really big city? 

Either way, it's very unlikely that he's having to help passengers with luggage and what-not, and that's mainly why you tip shuttle drivers. More if you have a truckload of luggage, less if you don't have much. 

It's most likely that he has other duties. I can't imagine a dealership big enough to have him do nothing but drive all day - maybe in a really big city?

Either way, it's very unlikely that he's having to help passengers with luggage and what-not, and that's mainly why you tip shuttle drivers. More if you have a truckload of luggage, less if you don't have much.

Our dealerships offer valet service, where they pick up the car at our home, drop off a loaner car, and then deliver our car back to us when they're finished servicing and washing it. They always call ahead so they can deliver the car to wherever I happen to be at the time, even if I'm at a mall or something, or if that's not convenient, they set up a time and place that works for me. Because it's a regular service that they provide for their customers, they do have employees that do nothing but valet service. They're always very nice, and they're usually retired gentlemen who still want to get out of the house and work a bit, but want something easy and low-stress. They don't accept tips -- I have tried! It feels weird not to tip them, though.

I guess I feel it goes this way---you tip people who:

go out of their way to give you good service--- guy in hotel who finds you good seats at a play, --

tip= thank you and ensures repeat for next time

took care of your stuff-- coat check girl, valet, shuttle guy with your luggage

Get screwed becaue you are leaving them an unexpected mess (I tip the server more when I have children with me)--

I tipped the maid in a motel when I left a big mess

I don't think people need a tip to just do their job (starbucks guy, mechanic, bus driver,)