Menu

What does ghee taste like?

Lakeside

I think I've used it before, but it has been a long time.  I bought some recently because we've been on an elimination diet and ghee is in one of the earlier reintroduction phases.  We opened it last night and it seems like the ghee has a bit of a blue cheese taste to it.  Now I'm wondering if that is the normal taste or if this jar is spoiled.

It isn't an allergy.  Well, at least not that we know of.  We've eliminated dairy and grains in addition to some other things in order to see if a few different health things are food related.  

I bought it at Whole Foods, so I can return it.  The annoying thing is that Whole Foods is nearly an hour away, so we won't be going for a while.

store bought ghee always smells a bit "off" to me, but homemade ghee is delicious. When you make it, all of the solids separate and either sink to the bottom or float to the top, so I would assume all of the lactose and casein would be in those separated particles. 

Hmm, that does seem pretty easy.  I might have to try that.  Do you think all of the lactose and casein are removed when you make it at home?  (Or at least to similar levels of store bought ghee?)  

I've had two nursing babies who were sensitive to even very small amounts of dairy. I could eat homemade ghee with no problems, whereas a similar amount of butter would have caused crying fits. I poured it through a course filter, and left a little extra at the bottom (where the milk solids settle) rather than trying to get every last bit.

Not that I'd risk it if the sensitivity was an anaphylactic allergy or something like that. 

I think it's entirely possible that, with personal motivation to care about it, homemade results would actually be cleaner than store-bought.

Also, for a true south Indian style ghee, you simmer it for closer to 45 minutes. It should look like dark brown ale. It can last in the cupboard for a year easily. Make sure and use unsalted butter.

For those who make their own, if you pour carefully and keep the sediment in the bottom, it is fantastic mixed with some sage and served over the butternut squash ravioli from Costco.

Ghee bought from a store should always, always be reheated again. That's because ghee from a store is rarely cooked right. It needs to be heated to the point when the milk solids settle down further, or to the point of smoking. Give or take 30 min on a low-medium flame.

Ghee(from cows milk) made right to last a long time, looks like caramel. It tastes nutty and very aromatic.

if it is 'off' smelling, the milk solids, which have not been separated properly from fat, have turned rancid.

We make it the traditional way- cream- butter- ghee.

If you make it from butter, use unsalted butter, heat until milk solids separate, settle down and the color of the fat turns dark brown.

What is the reasoning for using only unsalted butter? I've made it with salted butter without any obvious problems. The salt settles with the milk solids.

I've made ghee from both salted processed butter and the traditional way (cream-butter-ghee). It tastes sweeter and more authentic when made with unsalted, unprocessed butter. But, I'm biased since I've grown up with the old ways of making ghee. :D

Another thing is that salted butter tends to foam a lot more while heating and the milk solids tend to burn faster than unsalted butter.

Ghee tastes yucky, to use the technical term. I just stuck my finger into the can of ghee to confirm. It tastes more like lard or other animal fat than like butter. You certainly wouldn't enjoy it if you had a spoonful.

Ghee tastes yucky, to use the technical term. I just stuck my finger into the can of ghee to confirm. It tastes more like lard or other animal fat than like butter. You certainly wouldn't enjoy it if you had a spoonful.

Really? I eat it by the spoonful, but I'm weird like that! Nutty butter...yum!