Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 3/23 - 3/30

Negin

I'm excited to say I have a 12kg kettlebell coming my way :) I've wanted to try one for ages and am having serious desire to lift something in addition to my bodyweight work. I think I'll just start with swings.  On the docket today is Bada$$ workout and maybe a walk with the family, not sure if we'll have time though as we have some jobs we've got to finish around here before dh's schedule goes crazy. We might get in a little bike ride with the kids instead of the walk. I'm trying to get going early here so we have plenty of time.

Goals for this week: 

4.2 mi bike ride- hoping to do it in 30min instead of 35 and make it all the way up all the hills except the Graveyard (ds and I are naming the hills based on severity) 

.6 mi run- hope to increase speed this time- and for my lungs not to burn by the time I make it to the top of Buttkicker Hill!

Hill sprints- not sure how long I'll last on these :)

Walks- every day we're able- these range from 1-2 miles with various paces and lots of hills (we have hills everywhere around here!)

1 leisurely bike ride with the kids

6 Bada$$ workouts

kettlebell swings?? Need to read more - maybe 3 days a week- not sure on reps- depends on how much I can do with good form

Does anyone else keep a workout journal?   I have a binder with my workouts printed inside with space for notes.    On the cover I put a picture with this quote:

“The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it”

My kids think I'm nutty.

I've been trying to figure out how to make one- I have a binder for karate and would like to keep it and my workouts all together, but I can't quite visualize a system that will work for me.    Btw, I love the quote.

Today is a rest day for me but my husband and I did a 3 mile walk just to get out and about.

I'm not keeping a journal now. I'm using these threads as a mini-journal to keep track of my progress and goals. It would probably be good if I did. I have a notebook with weight and measurement info, it would be much more uplifting to have the fitness info wrote down.

I'm feeling like I'm getting in a much better groove with exercising/being active, finally. I've not felt this good about it in ages. I think that is in part due to the fact that I'm feeling better and also I decided to just do what I want to do. I kept trying to force myself into a certain schedule to get into the habit but that just eventually led to dread for me. Now I'm just doing things I enjoy and I'm loving it. Well, I don't love it when my lungs are burning biking up the hill or running but I love the feeling of accomplishment after I'm done. I love seeing the improvement. Time wise I'm adding more to the list but most doesn't feel like working out because the vast majority of the time I'm outside. My bodyweight work doesn't take long and I'm loving that especially now that I have a plan and some concrete goals. I love feeling my body get stronger. I wish I would have had dh take pics at the beginning of the month. I don't think I've lost any weight but I think I'm losing fat, the love handles I'd started to grow seem to be shrinking.

No walk or bike ride yesterday. My dh really just wanted time to relax and I ended up taking a nap, which was probably good for me as I often get behind on sleep. Today the kids and I should be able to walk or ride. I think the weather will be decent enough by the afternoon. Maybe sprints, we'll see how the day goes. I've got to get school done and supper cooked early as we have TKD and Scouts this evening.

Here is an article for sprinting motivation:

http://jillfit.com/2012/08/28/12-reasons-sprinting-cardio/

On this same site she talked about how she trained for a half-marathon mostly doing lots of hill sprints with just 1 long run a week. I'm not a big runner so I found it interesting and inspiring. There are more than one way to reach various fitness goals.

http://jillfit.com/2013/01/04/half-marathon/

Sunday: Bada$$ Workout

I've been doing some research on training for faster speeds (without injury) and see books like Run Less Run Faster, The Galloway Book On Running and they all sound great...

Does anyone here have a training book for runners that they recommend?  

Yesterday was rest day.

This morning I did a HIIT from Moms Into Fitness. Fast and fun. Gave me just the right amount of huffing and sweat. Some day I will purchase her dvd programs. She has a fitness app as well, but it didn't work for me. I haven't yet found a calorie counter that has the foods I eat. For example Van's gf ancient grain waffles are not on any database. I always get frustrated with trying to input my food with any calorie counter so I just don't. I just eat a majority of good food.

I don't keep a journal. Again, the app above has a workout tracker I believe. I don't know if it's just for her program or any workout. I just do what I do. I don't keep track of anything except mentally. I have my measurements written down.....somewhere. :laugh:

That's one reason I love Fitness Blender's workout schedule. They do all the planning for you and they schedule in fitness tests (not that I've done the fitness tests though).

I wanted to see what my time was for running a mile. My goal was around 10 minutes. So I started with my ds timing me. I thought I was running at a decent but not too fast pace. However, after 1/2 mile I was really feeling winded. I decided that I should do my mile test without working out beforehand because I had just gotten done doing a 30 minute kickboxing workout. I figured that drained some of my energy. So I stopped at 1/2 mile and looked at my time. 3.49 minutes. Well, geesh! No freaking wonder I was feeling winded. If I'd kept up that pace it would be a 7 minute mile. I guess I need to learn to slow down and pace myself when running. Maybe I'm not good at that because I usually always do sprint/walk intervals instead of just an even pace jog.

I'm not really a runner, although I am switching to shoes with zero heel differential for doing sprints.  I have been working on squat form for months bc I eventually want to learn how to do the Olympic lifts.   I've realized that one of my ankles is a huge issue and that the sneakers I lived in were contributing to the problem. 

In my journal I don't keep weights and measures.  I don't even have a scale.  I do keep a record of my workouts in that I want to see progress over time.      The previous year I just kept a record of what I did and honestly, it got so boring just to be working out and doing basically the same thing over and over again.

I love seeing the improvement. <snip> I'm loving that especially now that I have a plan and some concrete goals.

This is what's different this year for me and it's made all the difference.

I'm excited to say I have a 12kg kettlebell coming my way :) I've wanted to try one for ages and am having serious desire to lift something in addition to my bodyweight work. I think I'll just start with swings.  On the docket today is Bada$$ workout and maybe a walk with the family, not sure if we'll have time though as we have some jobs we've got to finish around here before dh's schedule goes crazy. We might get in a little bike ride with the kids instead of the walk. I'm trying to get going early here so we have plenty of time.

Goals for this week: 

4.2 mi bike ride- hoping to do it in 30min instead of 35 and make it all the way up all the hills except the Graveyard (ds and I are naming the hills based on severity) 

.6 mi run- hope to increase speed this time- and for my lungs not to burn by the time I make it to the top of Buttkicker Hill!

Hill sprints- not sure how long I'll last on these :)

Walks- every day we're able- these range from 1-2 miles with various paces and lots of hills (we have hills everywhere around here!)

1 leisurely bike ride with the kids

6 Bada$$ workouts

kettlebell swings?? Need to read more - maybe 3 days a week- not sure on reps- depends on how much I can do with good form

I've been doing kettlebell for a couple of years, but I really ramped it up last year.  Swings are great way to strengthen your core and get in some extra cardio.  A good ratio is an equal work to rest.  So 10 swings take about 15 secs, then you rest 15 secs, and do another 10.  10 x 10 is a good starting point.  You can swing everyday, it's not like lifts or squats, but it might not be bad to try every other day at first.  

This book, by Tracy Reifkind, is a good beginner swing book.  It also includes her story and diet stuff.  But the swing progressions are good. She also has a website where she post her workouts.  I tend to use Lauren Brooks stuff, but Tracy's workouts are good too, especially if you want to focus on just the swing.  If you want other stuff, like squats, presses, rows, TGUs, lunges, etc.... Lauren Brooks has excellent DVDs and programs.  

Enjoy your new bell.:)

Yesterday I ran 6 miles, and got in my 300 swings, but only 40 push-ups and 30 pull ups.  The run was hard because it was so cold out. The temp was around 50 the the wind felt like ice, and it was strong.  But I got my run in. :)

This morning I did 40 minutes of yoga; mostly gentle, to get the kinks out.  I do feel much better than I did when I woke up. 

snip--

This morning I did a HIIT from Moms Into Fitness. Fast and fun. Gave me just the right amount of huffing and sweat. Some day I will purchase her dvd programs.----

--snip--- However, after 1/2 mile I was really feeling winded. I decided that I should do my mile test without working out beforehand because I had just gotten done doing a 30 minute kickboxing workout. I figured that drained some of my energy. So I stopped at 1/2 mile and looked at my time. 3.49 minutes. Well, geesh!

I have a MiF post partum workout video. It is pretty good basic interval bootcamp style. Geeze you were running fast. I forgot to time myself the other day but it felt like forever!

I try to focus on good food as well. It seems that if I track I have a tendency to undereat, which then leads to me getting hungry and binging. If I eat good whole food just to fullness most of the time everything should work out.

I'm not really a runner, although I am switching to shoes with zero heel differential for doing sprints.  I have been working on squat form for months bc I eventually want to learn how to do the Olympic lifts.   I've realized that one of my ankles is a huge issue and that the sneakers I lived in were contributing to the problem. 

I once dreamed of doing Oly lifts but I couldn't find anyone to really train me properly so for now I've just decided to work on the bodyweight work as that can build a lot of strength and I don't have to have equipment. I'm so ready to get back up to being able to do a pullup and knock out a good amount of pushups.

What shoes did you buy? I'm using my Vibrams most of the time as I tend to have better form when running with them on and I prefer minimal shoes.

In my journal I don't keep weights and measures.  I don't even have a scale.  I do keep a record of my workouts in that I want to see progress over time.      The previous year I just kept a record of what I did and honestly, it got so boring just to be working out and doing basically the same thing over and over again.

This is what's different this year for me and it's made all the difference.

I'm trying not to focus on the scale now actually but I have everything still recorded from last year and then again from the beginning of this year as a way to compare progress. I would like to be a bit smaller but I'm trying to embrace this new size. I'm not overweight, just bigger than usual. I've decided to focus on my fitness and strength as that is so much more important and something I can control. 

So, what are you doing that you just love and what did you stop doing?

Swings are great way to strengthen your core and get in some extra cardio.  A good ratio is an equal work to rest.  So 10 swings take about 15 secs, then you rest 15 secs, and do another 10.  10 x 10 is a good starting point.  You can swing everyday, it's not like lifts or squats, but it might not be bad to try every other day at first.  

This book, by Tracy Reifkind, is a good beginner swing book.  It also includes her story and diet stuff.  But the swing progressions are good. She also has a website where she post her workouts.  I tend to use Lauren Brooks stuff, but Tracy's workouts are good too, especially if you want to focus on just the swing. 

Awesome, thanks for the links and info. I'll check out her site first. I've watched some videos to figure out form but I've not actually used one yet so it is hard to really practice.

I had a REALLY bad weekend and am just trying to get back on track today. 

This morning I did Week 2, Day 1 of Couch to 5K with a couple extra intervals - total 2.75 miles, 40 minutes.  I'm planning on doing Day 2 on Wednesday and Day 3 on Friday.  I'm still not positive what I'm planning on doing tomorrow.  Possibilities include the rower and/or an exercise video.

Jenn

I've been doing some research on training for faster speeds (without injury) and see books like Run Less Run Faster, The Galloway Book On Running and they all sound great...

Does anyone here have a training book for runners that they recommend?  

I have 2 books, Run Like a Mother and Train Like a Mother (which contains 2 training plans each for 5k, 10k, half, and marathon) I like the Train Like a Mother plans.  They are doable and push just the right amount.

My dh is running a marathon this weekend and he used Hanson's book. He's really like that method.  

I like Galloway's book, but I found a lot of the fitness information outdated.  I like the run/walk, and it has worked well for me.  I go a lot faster (almost 30 sec a mile faster for my half marathon) when I walk/run.  But his overall plan is not as good.  I used another plan, but just did the walk/run thing.  

I've read all of the articles I could on the Run Less Run Faster (there is alot online), and it's good, but I don't think it would work for me.  I do better when I run more, not less.  I think it depends on the person.  But overall, it's a good plan, doing 3 hard workouts a week.  But then you are supposed to do a crosstraining workout that is cardio, like swimming or biking.  If you don't, they suggest you do an easy run.  

HTH

Ellen Barret: Grace & Gusto

I like this article on why yoga can help with weight loss. The picture shows an extremely difficult move that I cannot imagine ever being able to do :confused1:  :lol: ! 

I had a REALLY bad weekend and am just trying to get back on track today. 

:grouphug:  Hope that your week is a better one. I hate those weekends. :(

Jennifer- Hope this week is better!

I wanted to eat everything this weekend and was feeling like a total &itch yesterday and then I looked at my chart. So perhaps it wasn't just random but hormonal, at least I hope so :)

30ish min walk with kids

Bada$$ Workout- Loving this- just the right challenge here!

I *tried* to do hill sprints. Measured out how far I was going to go and started to run the first one and PAIN. I thought I was having a cramp so I kept on just a little bit, no I had pulled something. I don't know if I didn't warm up enough or stepped wrong. It hurt all night long but seems to be better this morning. I'm going to wait a day or 2 before I try the sprints again and make sure I warm up well. I was so disappointed. I really wanted to see how many I could do. I've only done flat land sprints so I picked a slow incline and a short distance to try out. 

Today's goal:

Bada$$ Workout

Walk with kids

I'm going out with a friend this evening for a very rare girls night out so I'll be short on time today.

I wanted to eat everything this weekend

Sometimes re-feed days are necessary when you're doing a lot of exercise.   So if you didn't allow for the re-feed when your body was asking, do it tonight with friends.  ;)

I *tried* to do hill sprints.

If there is no snow tonight I will do hill sprints today.   Pray for no more snow!!!!

My new trick:  Push ups!

You're a beast.

Sometimes re-feed days are necessary when you're doing a lot of exercise.   So if you didn't allow for the re-feed when your body was asking, do it tonight with friends.  ;)

If there is no snow tonight I will do hill sprints today.   Pray for no more snow!!!!

I thought I had ate enough but it seems that my appetite really increases after a big ride, even though it is only 30ish minutes. Have fun on your sprints!

Monday- double martial arts class

Tuesday- 3 mile walk in the most miserable wind and snow flurries@!!@

tonight- martial arts class.  Testing is this Saturday and I'm nervous.

Good luck on testing!

Hey y'all! I should be posting with y'all on here! I'm so sore today but considering a two mile jog....doubt my thighs agree though. I worked them till my knees were buckling under me yesterday and I have another crossfit session tomorrow.

I worked on dead lifts, handstands, inchworms, push ups, kettlebell squats, dips and high step ups yesterday. At the end I was supposed to do over head weighted walking lunges but my legs gave way first lunge...so I alternated 10 push ups and 10 high step ups for 8 minutes. Sounds like so little but it whipped my butt.

My goal today was to just do some sort of exercise. Sounds bad but it's the first day I'm exercising on a non-run day. That said, I did some Michelle Rogers personal training videos on On-demand. Day 2 chest/tris, Day 3 Cardio and Pilates basic for a total of about 40 minutes. Disappointed I can no longer do a "real" push-up and weights were lower than last summer but not really surprised. 6 months of no exercise and eating terribly has taken its toll.

Goal tomorrow is week 2, day 2 of couch to 5k.

Jenn

What size kettle bell are you using?.. I want one for Mother's day! I think it would be fun to do kb workouts outside....and they will travel easy so crazy mom can work out during kids' swim practice this summer.

Tuesday, I ran 3.5 up hilly roads in the freezing cold. It was brutal, windy, horrible. Should have stuck to the treadmill, but kids were at karate....and I had a free few minutes. I hurt my knee running down one of those stupid hills! :-( Ice and elevation today.....before barefoot/ cycle cross training. I love Wednesdays. <3

Jennifer- I'm in a similar position. On a positive note when you've been fit before it is easier to get back in shape than it was the first time.

Yesterday I didn't get anything done exercise-wise my day ended up just being too busy. I had thought I would do my bada$$ workout when I got home but I didn't make it home until bedtime and I was exhausted from shopping. Anyway, so I just decided I'd move my rest day up one and do it today. Should be a Bada$$ day and walk. I still felt a little pinch in my leg yesterday when I did a quick jog to the car so I'm not doing sprints today. I'm thinking I should be good for Thursday though.

I did my regular workout in the am and as it did not snow, I did the sprints after martial arts, so I'm happy about that.   I did something really, really, really stupid last night and I didn't get to soak in the magnesium salt bath that I had planned.   Let's just say I need to scrub the tub out this morning.  LOL  UUUggggghhh!

I did my regular workout in the am and as it did not snow, I did the sprints after martial arts, so I'm happy about that.   I did something really, really, really stupid last night and I didn't get to soak in the magnesium salt bath that I had planned.   Let's just say I need to scrub the tub out this morning.  LOL  UUUggggghhh!

What type of martial arts do you do?  I hope I haven't asked that before...

I just finished the 1000 calorie burn fitness blender workout!  It was good.  The only thing that was hard for me was in the ab part - scissor kicks.  I just can't do those.  I will definitely do it again.  

My right hip has been sore from doing the yoga for runners video.  Not happy about that.  The intermediate is pretty intense and there are a lot of hip lunges, too much for my right hip.  Not sure what I will do about that.  I was really enjoying the yoga.  I think I need to go back to the beginner video for awhile. 

I just finished the 1000 calorie burn fitness blender workout!  It was good.  The only thing that was hard for me was in the ab part - scissor kicks.  I just can't do those.  I will definitely do it again.  

My right hip has been sore from doing the yoga for runners video.  Not happy about that.  The intermediate is pretty intense and there are a lot of hip lunges, too much for my right hip.  Not sure what I will do about that.  I was really enjoying the yoga.  I think I need to go back to the beginner video for awhile. 

For the ab thing, when they do scissor kicks, work on leg lifts, or just keeping you legs at 45 degees (or as close to the floor as you can get).  I found that if I modify I can slowly work up to what they are doing.

Same with the lunges.  They are my weakness, so I know I need more of them, but you don't want to hurt yourself.  Just straighten the leg, and back off a bit.  Soon you'll be able to do it. 

4 mile run today.  I ran outside, and even though the sun was shining, it was bittter cold.  My feet didn't feel warm until I got home.  I had wanted 5 miles, but was so cold, and my legs felt tired.  After I got home I realized I was running at a 30 sec faster pace than normal.  That was probably why I felt so tired.

I also did some ab work.  I did 2 TGUs before I ran, then did 3x5 Ab rolls with my ab wheel, and 3x30 sec planks on the balance ball.  That's a lot harder than normal plank.  I didn't realize it would be harder. :D

Last night I was able to do an hour of Yin yoga.  I would love to do at least 30 minutes tonight.  I'll have to see.  

My dh pulled something in his back Sunday night/Monday morning, and his marathon is this Sunday.  He's been doing lots of Yin too, and I've been trying to give him back rubs.  Poor guy.  I hope it all feels better by Sunday.  He's trained really hard. 

Did week 2, day to of couch to 5k with a couple extra intervals. Total was 3 miles over 45 minutes. Then, this afternoon, I did about 30 minutes of an adult gymnastic class. Not as impressive as it sounds. Just cartwheels, handstands, a little balance beam and kick overs off a 16ish inch mat. If nothing else, a good stretch.

Tomorrow morning - goal is to get up and do something.

Jenn

For my b-day I bought merril minimalist shoes.  Walked 2 miles in them earlier in the a.m. and then just ran 2 miles of hills in them.  I am trying to retrain how I run because I'm a very very slow plodder.  My 19 yo won't run with me because I'm soooo slow but I've never cared because jogging has always been about the alone time and the scenery for me.  However now I need speed because in sparring my slow habits are hurting me.  They translate to slow kicking.  So for the 2 miles I ran (just a hair under sprinting) one block then walked a 1 1/2 blocks the whole 2 miles.  

I love the shoes, I could really feel how I was running and made constant corrections.  

Even with the walking I ended up with my normal embarrassingly slow time of 11.5 minutes per mile.  Sigh, it is going to take a long time to break my plodding habit.