Menu

Swing set recommendations?

Aspasia

Rainbow play stations are our favorites.

Mine too! I just spent about a month researching every option. Safety, compatibility for new parts, greatest variation on accessories, reviews, and service. That was the biggest draw. They were willing to put together pretty much anything for me.

Our new set gets delivered and set up next week! I think I am as excited as my dd will be-it is to be a suprise:)

If you decide to buy wood, make sure it is cedar and not white pine.  We bought a Rainbow play structure from Costco a few years back (one of the only times I have ever seen them sell Rainbow brand), and found out when assembling it that it wasn't the classic cedar.  It held up ok, but when we sold it a few years later, the wood was definitely showing more wear that you would expect from a Rainbow brand set.

We bought an Amish-made swing set locally.  Very, very sturdy construction, and the price included delivery and basic set-up.  They guaranteed it for 7 years, and we got replacement parts several times.  It lasted 12 years through snow and ice and constant use in good weather.

We took it down last summer.  The only reason we scrapped it was that the cross beam had a crack, and we couldn't find anyone that wanted to take it and replace that part.

Rainbow-- we've had ours for 11 years and it is still great-- the BIG kids still swing on it when they come home to visit-- one is a college grad and the other a college Sr!

We purchased a 'floor model'-- slightly faded and about HALF of the cost-- they even threw in  free set up and delivery!!!

We went to Menards and bought the kit and got the COMMERCIAL grade model.  It has ratings per play item (slide, swing, climbing wall, etc) of 500 pounds EACH.  SO many others we looked at had ratings of 70# which would really limit its usefulness to older/bigger kids.  It took a lot longer to put together than they said but it has held up well and even made a move to our new house on the back of a flat bed trailer.