Menu

Would you cook this, AKA is it spoiled?

extendedforecast

I would eat it. No problem. Especially since the sell by date is only three days ago.

In fact yesterday we ate pork chops that had been in the fridge for about 6 days as well. We're all fine.

But I tend to fall on the less cautious side of these things.

I used to be paranoid about sell-by date.  DH is the complete opposite.  I've moved to more his line of thinking.

Honestly, 3 days past the sell-by date seems fine. Of course, if it looked or smelled off, I'd toss it…but otherwise I'd cook it (well, more than medium or rare though).  

I would probably cook it too, unless it smelled funky.  Agreeing with a previous poster though that I would probably cook it more toward the well-done end.

Sometimes when I have had freezer-burned or questionable meat, I have cooked it really long in the crockpot and mixed it up with kibbles for the dog.  The dog loves this and hasn't keeled over yet!  If you think it is too iffy for human consumption, you might try doing that if you have a dog, or give it to someone who does. 

I read this:

Sell by – This creates an easy date for the retailer to know when the product has to be removed from their shelf and disposed of instead of being sold. In general, consumers have one to three days to use that meat product if it is fresh before there would be concern from a safety standpoint. Typically retailers will mark down the price of a product if the sell by date is near. That can create an opportunity for consumers to purchase something that is still acceptable from a safety and quality standpoint at a bargain as long as the consumer goes home and uses the product right away.

Ok so 1-3 days after.  Three days is obviously on the later end of that.  I'd just smell it and go by that.

I tend to agree. Since it's a roast, you can cook it a LOT.